Looking like Patricia is the favorite to coach the Giants

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by TonyFtLaud, Jan 10, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

All signs point to Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia becoming next Giants head coach
    PAT LEONARD JAN 10, 2018 9:35 AM

A rocket scientist has blasted his way into the lead to be the Giants' next head coach.

The Daily News has learned that all signs are pointing to Matt Patricia, the New England Patriots defensive coordinator with a degree in aeronautical engineering, as the man the Giants will hire to point Big Blue back in the right direction.

The Giants' glory days saw Bill Parcells, a coach with defense as his backbone, patrolling the sidelines at the Meadowlands, with Bill Belichick as defensive coordinator, winning the franchise's first two Super Bowls in 1986 and 1990, setting the standard in North Jersey.

But since Parcells, the Giants have hired five head coaches all with offense as their calling card: Ray Handley, Dan Reeves, Jim Fassel, Tom Coughlin and Ben McAdoo.

Coughlin won the Super Bowl twice in 2007 and 2011, but even in '07 succeeded and ruined New England's perfect season thanks largely to Steve Spagnuolo's rabid pass rush led by Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck.

Great defense defines the Giants at their peak.

And while improving the offense and developing a young quarterback to succeed Eli Manning are priorities in this coaching search, Patricia feels like too good of a fit and could bring an offensive coordinator to address those needs, perhaps Alabama's Brian Daboll, 42, who overlapped with Patricia for seven seasons in New England.

Patricia, 43, as the Daily News has written a few times the last couple days, is not a done deal to the Detroit Lions as several reports had claimed coming out of his interviews last weekend with the Giants, Lions and Cardinals (oh my). In fact, there are indications he prefers the Giants to the Lions.

Maybe the Giants would need to get used to his unkempt sideline appearance — backwards hat, pencil behind the ear, with a bushy beard. But what matters is what's between Patricia's ears.

The NFL's tampering policy dictates that the Giants and Patricia technically would not be permitted even to make an "agreement to execute a contract," let alone sign one, "until after the conclusion of the employer club's playing season" — or until after the Patriots' postseason ends.

But teams find a way of locking up their guy. In 2014, it was an open secret that Seattle Seahawks D-coordinator Dan Quinn was leaving to become the Atlanta Falcons head coach going into the Super Bowl. And last year, the same went for Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and his future head job with the San Francisco 49ers.

This year, if the Patriots return to the Super Bowl, the Giants actually would be permitted a second interview with Patricia if the Patriots again granted permission, to be conducted no later than Jan. 28 or a week before the game.

Josh McDaniels, 41, the Pats' offensive coordinator, is down to being a candidate for the Colts and the Giants, or staying in New England. But Indianapolis is considered the more likely landing place if McDaniels does leave, after the Colts' reported first choice, Chiefs OC Matt Nagy, took the Bears job.

Vikings OC Pat Shurmur, 52, emerged from his Saturday Giants interview as a stronger candidate than many believed when this process began. And like McDaniels he has the NFL head coaching experience that John Mara is looking for.

But is Shurmur's 9-23 record in two seasons as Cleveland Browns head coach (2011-12) and one impressive year of winning with journeyman QB Case Keenum in Minnesota enough to land the coveted Giants' head coaching job? That's hard to see, and that hire might not make a ripple in the Big Apple, frankly

2. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The Belichick tree bears rotten fruit. Patricia will be no different.

All the Vagiant butt kissers are trying to pump their tires. Ooooh such a desirable job. Oh it's the lordly Giants. The MARA FAMILY etc

BS. They are in tatters now. None of the top QB's are sure fire can't miss franchise guys. And they play in a division where Dallas is miles ahead of them and Philly and Wentz will likely dominate it for a good while like Brady did to us.

Dallas has an outstanding front office infrastructure in terms of scouting. They get dumped on a lot but it's a top program. They're not reverting back to the Campo/Gailey years anytime soon. The Giants pretty much have to rebuild theirs as it decayed under Reese

The Giants job is a BLACK HOLE. They have Beckham coming off a broken leg, a good rookie in Engram and nothing else.

#2 forevercursed, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    BacktoQueens and Brook! like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I completely agree. And I will enjoy tremendously each time they are in the bottom picking top 10 year after year. If at the same time Jets stabilizes the QB position and become perennial play off team, next 10-15 years will be delicous.

4. TonyFtLaud

I actually think Patricia has an excellent chance at becoming a successful HC.
    Not only is he very intelligent but he has experience coaching on both sides of the ball. He played Center and guard, has coached D line , TEs , O line, Linebackers ,
    safeties , even though he wasn't names DC for the Patriots until 2012, he has called the Defensive plays for NE since 2009.
    It's very rare to find a first time HC with his intelligence and experience coaching offense and defense.
    I seem to remember the very same argument being made about the NE back up QBs just a very short time ago......

Patriot likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

what? did a patsy former back up qb win something?must have missed that

6. TonyFtLaud

Just 5 consecutive games on the team that was 1 - 10 prior to his getting the nod. 3 of which came against playoff teams .
    You read the board, don't you know the Jets are doomed because we failed to draft Jimmy G. Mac should be fired for failing to trade for him last season.

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm not sure I would go quite that far, but I do find it ridiculous how some NY sports radio types are waxing poetically about what a great opportunity the Giants job is. Have they not noticed that the team only avoided being the worst in the league because of the Cleveland Browns? The team leader is on the steep decline, the best player is a head case coming off a serious injury who probably won't show up this year without a massive contract extension, and their average game this year was a 24-15 loss.

Unfortunately they do have the opportunity to get better quickly if they draft Rosen or Darnold, but neither is a slam dunk.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. forevercursed

Patricia is really being talked up as some kind of great intellectual...remember the Mangenius?

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Weren't they looking for a experienced head coach? What happened?

I don't see it with that guy or McDaniels.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

That defense is nothing special.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they do a good job bending but not breaking on that Patriots D, I'll give em that. But only when you have Tom Brady on offense can you get away with that. Put an average QB on NE and they drop 3 or 4 more games a year and Patricia would be looking for a new job due to unemployment

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

This one's actually smart. RPI is a good school. His major wasn't a joke. But none of that has anything to do with football. Let's see how he does with a rookie QB, a head case WR, and a bad defense. Personally I think Giants will be picking top 5 again next year.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They might be if they lose all their receivers again, you don't take the receivers away from a passing team and expect to win.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Apparently they shouldn’t expect to win with those receivers either since they were already 0-5 before they went down.

15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He is an aeronautic engineer. Think the Lions might be the better choice for him.

16. forevercursed

Wonderful. I've known some engineers. Good guys. Meek. They couldn't lead a Russian to vodka much less a football team

Detroit would be a better starting point for him then the Giants. Giants need a full rebuild. Detroit is just about ready to take that next step into the playoffs

17. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Tony if he does get the job, I will have to lose my avatar. He has good football IQ credentials but being a HC is not so easy especially in New York. It will be interesting to see how the staff pans out if he is the coach.

18. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

No offense, but it sounds like you are repeating the common line from ESPN and the national media who are ignorant.

The Belichick tree has produced some good fruit with its rotten fruit. For example what about Nick Saban, Thomas Dimitroff, and Ozzie Newsome?

I am afraid to mention Tannenbaum because some Jet fans get a little crazy when I do.

The Belichick tree seems to have its most success in the College ranks which is funny, because Belichick always claimed he would such as a college coach.

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think Gettelman will have their program turned around faster than you think.

For starters he has a QB in place, I'm sure Eli can give them 2 more years if he can get some help, especially on the oline.

He dealt properly with the veterans on Carolina who were on their last legs or wanted too much money, he let them go. It's the correct way of doing business as a GM.

This draft will provide some good oline help, it will surprise me if they choose a QB over Barkley or one of the top olinemen in the draft. FA will also determine who they draft as well.

I don't think the Giants are in as bad a shape as many believe. As long as a team has a good QB, their fortunes can turn around much quicker than a team who relies on bottom of the barrel veterans because they are still trying to find their FQB.

The only thing I would do if I were a GM, is select an offensive minded HC, the offensive scheme needs to stay consistent especially for rookie QBs who are drafted behind a guy like Eli, just easier in the long run.

20. forevercursed

Saban is not Belichick tree. He started under Glanville