We Should Be Worried

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jan 10, 2018.

1. NYJets

NYJets Member

Why bother worrying at all? I just assume the worst about them and anything other than that is a wonderful surprise. This year I assumed in the face of all the "they might only win 1 or 2 games" talk that they would win just enough to push them further down in the draft order and in a much different consideration for picking a QB. They did exactly that.

The kicker is the Giants sitting at 2 instead of us. This will thus yet again wind up being a year where we look back and wonder what could have been. We could have 10 years of reminders from whomever the Giants pick that we should have just lost a few more meaningless games in an already throwaway season.

Vida likes this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Bill O'Brien does NOT and did NOT ever run the WCO. If they thought they were doing Hack and Petty a favor by implementing the WCO, they were sadly mistaken. If you have young QBs that struggle with footwork and/or lack quick feet, then the WCO is one of the last offenses you would want to install. This, of course, is assuming you are interested in developing said QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

What dreams? I blatently say i am skeptical. What i am saying is the offseason hasn't even started yet, let's save the torches and pitchforks for once he actually fucks up. The idea that "Mac isn't going after a QB because he hasn't blatently said it" is insane. If he is negotiating to trade up for a QB, again skeptical but hopefully, why would he let the rest of the league know? Like I pointed out in my original post we will know concrete what he is thinking by Friday night at the draft. At that time if he hasn't A) signed a worthwhile free agent or B) drafted one of the top 5 QB's in this class, then burn this fucker down. Which names make up those two categories is an enirely other discussion. The season just ended, let's all take a breath and a step back from the doom and gloom because the GM isn't laying his cards on the table. And once he drafts a punter at #6 break out the grain alcohol and riot.

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FJF, Jets_Grinch and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Hopefully what’s he’s learned from his prior stops is you can’t fix the most important position in the game by constantly drafting mid to late rd picks at the position. If I remember correctly the only 1st rd pick that any team from his prior stop used on QB was Heath Shuler and we have no idea what influence Mac had on that pick, for all we know he can have been pounding the table for Skins not to draft him only to be overruled by the men in charge.

In regards to your last point I hope we draft a QB that can adapt cause I get the feeling we are the Rams and Bears in the final year with our Fisher & Fox.

6. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

It's almost like people are staring to agree with me

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He's not going to publicly box himself in, but I think he knows the way we've been going for 3 years now is not sustainable.

You can't expect journyemen QB's to win you games consistently and extensions in the NFL are more symbolic rather than anything else.

If Macc and Bowles don't fix the QB issue this year, it's going to result in them being fired.

Now, a way to avert this is if they draft a rookie QB which Macc could then use as an excuse to see through his extension.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The ratings must be down for this NJ paper on or offline to produce such gloom and doom

Mac has already been interviewed about the draft and publicly stated he is not against trading up

Unless the guy does not know how to READ the sentiment in the media and otherwise to draft a QB ...HE IS GETTING A QB!...**Bank on it**

Now unless he doesn't know how to COUNT he must realize, I am sure the TOP QBS are 1- Rosen 2 Darnold 3 Mayfield...As much as I don't like Macagnan he can't be THAT STUPID where the true talent.is .....if he misses Iam done here

Tons of articles and hype surrounding these kids and the GM is also BLIND?????

Plus someone just posted he took trips out West to see them all play...HMMM WHAT IF HE HAS AMNESIA TOO??

Stay positive and expect a small miracle ..it's coming!

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I stand corrected and thanks for the clarification.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

My emphasis was towards cautioning those who are pinning their hopes on Macc signing or drafting a FQB this year. He hasn't stated he will. Sure, he's checked out QBs, as well as other positions, but he may have decided none of them are worth to him. I think he has a plan that he keeps very close to his vest. I'm not saying I have any confidence that his plan is a good one - after all, I sure don't know what it is - but he seems to march to his own tune, and if that tune doesn't include one of the top QBs - FA or draft - this year, then he's not going to change it.

I sure hope he DOES intend to sign a FQB, but nothing he's said so far ensures that he will.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you're a Jets fan you can never have enough worry!:p

12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Pimple Puss Hughes is actually pretty good at that.

13. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This is an excellent article and exactly what I've been saying for a while. I'll even take this one further. Mac may already know he sucks at drafting QB's? He might be so afraid he'll fuck it up again that he decides to go with a safe choice? That means he gives tons of money to Cousins and yields another Neil O'Donnell. Another guy that gets the Jets into that cesspool of mediocrity. The guy that can never win it all, but at least Mac can CLAIM he got a guy that can guide the Jets to a 9-7, 10-6 record and possibly get a wild card.

Enough of this crap. I want the guy that will get us the real deal SB winner QB.

Vida, boozer32 and papapump like this.
  14. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Not sure if you saw my follow up post but it sounds like we basically agree. to summarize: Sign a high end free agent or draft one of the top talents or we the fans revolt. i suspect he knows his job falls squarely on how he handles the QB position this off season. If he gets one he is the savior and if he doesn't he won't be around long enough to find out if he passed on a draft bust or not.

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

What, he's gonna announce his plans to the rest of the league? I'm pretty sure he'd actually love to have a FQB. Actually I would go out on a limb and say that he wants one as a matter of fact. ;)
    What there's FQB's out there to pick from and he's decided not to bother?

He hasn't stopped working on it be assured.

#35 Walt White, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    NYJFOREVER, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There is a better chance that cousins is that guy than any of the guys coming out

17. NYJets

NYJets Member

I don't think he's so incompetent as to not realize that doing something on the QB front this offseason is key for the franchise and, frankly, a significant bullet point in his job security after this year. I suspect he's weighing a variety of options - FA acquisition, veteran trade, McCown contract, QB draft. He has a lot of cap room to work with but also a team with a ton of needs, so he has to choose wisely if he should choose to acquire a FA. He would have to seriously evaluate the remaining contract and trade demands of anyone else offering an under contract vet. There's a practical question of how long a contract to give McCown even if you draft a rookie. The draft is extremely complicated with a variety fo teams looking for QBs and serious question marks about the players whom are worthy of being picked in the top 10.

My issue is simple - I don't think he has shown that he can choose well, especially at this critical position. We are as much in need of a long term QB now as we were when he came in 3 years ago. Yes, every team without one is in the same boat and finding one isn't easy but, sorry not sorry, that's the job he took. He went to the biggest media market in the country, to a franchise with a history of struggle who hasn't had a franchise QB in ages and this is a QB driven league. He either can do the job or he can't and I just don't believe he can.

I recognize that he'd be in a much better spot sitting at 2 than at 6 and that's not how fault. But he'd also be in a much better spot if he made different choices at the QB position previously. Most egregiously, not putting a ridiculous amount of focus and pressure on the Hack gamble by totally overreaching in the 2nd. It's simply unforgivable You took a guy you acknowledged as a major project so high as to suggest there should be significant expectations he would be the eventual starter (yes, every pick you hope will start but you expect wayyy more from a 2nd rounder than a 4th or 5th). Two years later, that guy hasn't taken a single regular season snap. He essentially redshirted his rookie year - that's how big a project he is/was. As a result, I have zero faith that this GM can smartly choose the right path to secure a longer than year by year QB. He should have known what the Hack move would bring (if he didn't that makes me question him even more) and if that's the kind of gamble he makes, then it is totally fair to seriously question his judgment.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

If you have been a Jet fan for any period of time you shouldn't be worried, you should be confident that the front office is going to fuck it up.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

These articles are the result of sports journalists not being able to find good material to write about. Knocking someone in print is as easy as pie. What he did in the past has no bearing on what he'll do in the future. There is no reason Macc should say what he plans to do in the draft. In fact, I would be upset if he did. The last thing you want to do is tell the other 31 teams what your plan is. I'm convinced he has a plan. I'm not sure what that plan is, or whether I like it, but I think we need to chill out and let him execute his plan. Nothing we say here, or they write about in the media is going to change it, so let's see the plan unfold first instead of losing sleep over it.

Walt White and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We all have to hold our breath till the start of FA March 14...But IMO:

I bet he resigns McGown the Locker Room hero and Bowles boy...no Cousins or outsiders welcome to break the "chemistry" created in 2017...it might create more of an uproar having JM back but at least he does the smart thing by not splashing $ on Alex S, Cousins or Bridgewater

Shores up the OL with FAs..maybe even a vet edge rusher instead of Sheldon R

After that he saves his job by drafting a FQB and more OL

Josh tutors the newbie to greatness

Easy Peasy...

#40 NYJetsO12, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018