Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No it’s not. You don’t know whether the number 3 rated QB isn’t going to be just as good, not as good or better than the 1 or 2 rated QB until he’s actually drafted and plays. You are also depending on a fallacy that being rated 3 is somehow empirical proof that the QB is not as good as the 1 or 2 simply because another person has listed them as such.

If the Jets think the number 3 QB can be successful why wouldn’t they take him? Just because he’s not ranked 1 in no way, shape or form negates his potential or ability.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Reading comprehension does not seem to be your strong suit.

I am saying the Jets need to go after the #1 QB ON THEIR DRAFT BOARD. Not necessarily the consensus # 1.

A great example is the Brett Favre draft. We had a deal in place with the Cardinals to go up and get Favre. When they reneged on the deal and Favre was gone what did the Jets do? Instead of quitting while they were behind they drafted Browing Nagle who was the next guy on their list. Even though they had him ranked below Favre they figured he was good enough. In retrospect that was a bad decision.

I am pretty sure that this draft does not have four SB winning HOF quarterbacks in it. It is highly unlikely that there are even two QBs who will both win a SB and make the HOF. For that reason I do not want the Jets to use a first round pick on anyone who isn't the # 1 or maybe the # 2 QB on their board. Gambling on any other QB is ok when the value is right but you do not blow a first round or even a high second round pick on a QB unless he is your guy.

Even if we somehow landed the greatest QB in the history of the NFL we have a lot of holes to fill before that guy can succeed. It is no good having a great QB if he is out of the league within three years because your line couldn't protect him.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What I bolded makes a lot of sense actually, BUT how do we know which one or two it will be? That's where that due diligence in determining who has the ABILITY, plus, having the right system, coaches, and players around him to allow him to reach that potential. That's a LOT of ducks having to be lined up.

4. JetBlue

Don’t throw insults, you’re only making yourself look ridiculous and desperate.

Your argument was that only the 1 or 2 QB’s could possibly be worth going all in on, which is a nonsensical assertion. They could have the difference between 1 and 3 negligible and thus believe the 3rd QB is just as good of a pick and worth taking at 6. I’ve already stated why arbitrarily asserting only the 1 or 2 QB can possibly be worth going all in on is a dumb fuck argument.

You should attempt to understand your own asinine arguments before attempting to criticize a dispute of it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. James Hasty

The two best drafts ever each had three potential HOF QBs. Only three of those six players has a Superbowl ring. Unless this is the best QB draft in the entire history of the NFL (you don't want to know how bad those odds are) the only way there is a negligible difference between the best QB and the third best QB is if all of the QBs are average at best.

John Elway
    Jim Kelly - Four SBs, no rings
    Dan Marino - One SB, no ring

Eli Manning
    Phillip Rivers - No ring
    Ben Rothlisberger

6. JetBlue

Except you are confusing your own argument. Arguing that there may be only two good QB’s in the draft isn’t the same as the top two rated QB’s ending up being the top two QB’s when they actually play. The 3rd QB drafted could still be one of the top two when all is said and done. You weren’t arguing how they pan out in the NFL, you were arguing simply pre-draft opinions of them.

Let me know when you figure out what you are actually trying to argue.

I’ve never argued every QB in the draft is going to be good (what’d you say previously about reading comprehension) I simply said being the third top rated QB in the draft in no way dictates he won’t be good or better than either of the higher rated QB’s.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. James Hasty

You try having similar arguments across four or five threads and let me know how it goes for you.

I am trying to argue that taking a QB at # 6 this year is a bad idea even if Bradley and Chubb are gone. If one of them is available it is an even worse idea. Trading down for an extra pick next year and taking Nelson, OT, RB, or pass rusher could help set us up for years to come.

My point is that there are diminishing returns available at the QB position. To the extent that our scouting department has them in almost the right order the first two QBs taken (all teams are paying their scouts and can trade up if they see the next Johnny Unitas) have the highest probability of being any good. If they are better than that not only will they go 1 and 2 but someone might be willing to move up to those spots to make sure they go 1 and 2. If no one is willing to trade up for these guys at 1-5 we should avaoid them like toxic waste.

Even if we trade up to get the right guy those missing picks will leave us with holes elsewhere.

8. You’re putting way too much thought into the down the line return on the potential QB pick.We’re at square 1 offensively.We have a hole at QB the size of a continent...if a guy has a legit 1st round grade w an upside of being the face of the franchise we gotta pull the trigger. We can’t worry about the Dan Marino/Phillip Rivers scenario.Team has to trust their evaluation.

If the best QB at #6 has a legit top 15 grade & fits NY he should be the pick regardless of how many QBs went before him. Now if he has a late 1st/2nd Round grade But his stock is being inflated by the “bonanza” sure you have a point.
    At that point we should trade down as far & for as much as we can which is really the only acceptable way to go at 6 if not a Qb except for perhaps Barkley or an OT

We shouldn’t be shying away from the idea of going QB.. we should simply trust the evaluation& ultimately the big board.

I would not wanna be MAC or even Bowles if they stay at 6 & take another defender; pass rusher included.

9. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

This is why I'm inclined to go all in on Cousins. We have so many holes on our roster. If we can use free agency to solve the quarterback question, we can use the draft, and any remaining cap space, to add a ton of quality depth to other areas of need like O-line, cornerback, and outside linebacker.

10. James Hasty

This is what I disagree with. You do not take the 15th best player at # 6 just because he is a QB. Other teams thinking this way gives you the opportunity to get the 4th best player at # 6 or even trade down a few spots and still get the 6th best player.

At QB we have so many options until the right value comes along. Not only could we bring back McNown but we could get any number of other free agents to fill the hole at QB. We still have two young QBs under contract that still have a chance to improve. In every draft there are guys who come out a year too early, guys with character concerns who play great on the field, guys who were looking good until they got injured, guys with the right tools who were on bad teams or need better coaching.

Until the value is right at QB in the draft we have many other needs and our QB of the future is going to need help when we do get him.

11. We've been down the "getting the value right" road many times over. Hell look at the last 2 picks we made at #6. In my opinion many positions in the league are saturated w. talent wherein there's absolutely no reason you can't fill a need beyond round 1. Are there positions other than QB that are exceptions? Of course. Namely Pass rusher & at least lately OT. I think a team can get themselves in trouble by trying to have a perfect draft. It's more about having perfect evaluations. Liking a QB enough to take him 3 picks lower than where you're at in my estimation is likely overthinking the entire process. It's a good way to miss out on the QB. There's certainly a fine line between an all out reach & conviction but we musn't forget the supply/demand dog eat dog aspect of highly regarded QB's on draft day. I still think it comes down to the evaluation. If the grade indicates the guy is a FQB & fits the organization you don't worry if you took him 3 picks too soon.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Think you're putting way too much emphasis on finding generational type player.

The Jets just need stability at the position. If they can find a player that can be a top 15 QB, statistically, and one that stays healthy and is behind center for the Jets long term, I would be satisfied.

Edit: I'd be fine with a Dalton-Palmer-Flacco type QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. James Hasty

While we announced that we were going down the value road I would argue we were going down the give the defensive head coach what he wanted route. With that said Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams were great picks on paper and look like good picks so far.

With Williams I wanted to trade down for Gurley and move back up into round one for Marcus Peters but both players ultimately were selected higher than where I wanted to pick them. Despite the crap I got on this forum I believe that I was correct when I said that Gurley would not have been a bad pick at # 6 for us had we taken him there. Last year I also wanted to trade down but liked the Adams pick.

Are you saying that we should have taken a QB? Before you answer Mahomes was selected before Watson so you would be getting Mahomes instead of Adams.

14. James Hasty

Wrong.

We had a pro bowl QB this year before he got hurt. He only missed three games yet we went 5-11.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

...and?

Where's the stability part of my scenario in what you wrote?

16. James Hasty

The stability part is when Bowles brings McNown next year.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I was pounding the table pretty hard for Mahomes pre draft. I was very high on Adams as well and did not believe he would make it to 6.

I’m a big believer in not passing on a potential franchise QB when you don’t have one. I understood the pick of Adams and have to believe Mac saw this QB class as stronger than last and was willing to give Petty and Hack one more shot with the thought that if they fail they’ll be in position to get a QB this year.

This is Macs last opportunity, it’s either find that franchise QB or GTFO as far as I’m concerned.

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You're being sarcastic, but if you're qualifying stability as two consecutive seasons with the same QB, why then, are your standards so high for a draft pick?

Also, McCown is a 5th alternate last I checked. So he is not officially a pro-bowler.

#298 GQMartin, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  19. James Hasty

I want Cousins, Brees, Garrapolo, etc. I wouldn't mind McNown as our # 2 guy or worst case a place holder until next year but with our cap space I think we deserve better.

For a 5-11 team, fifth alternate is close enough.

FlaJet and GQMartin like this.
  20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

The more I read about the QB's in the draft the more I am rooting hard for Cousins to become a Jet. Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield Jackson. All of them have an argument against them. You guys know these already. None of these are at Elway, Manning, Luck level. Combine this with the fact that Jets issues developing a QB then you have no choice but root for signing Cousins.

Dear Jets. Please do everything in your power and sign Cousins and finish our misery.

FlaJet likes this.