Who don’t you like?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Harpua, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

It being that time of year, let’s here a first round pick, preferably one that has too 15 potential, that you don’t like as a player.

For me it’s Arden Key. Sure he has speed to spare off the edge, but that’s all he shows. His use of hands or any type of technique is lacking and pure speed rushers don’t cut it at the NFL level. I really see a slightly bigger Barkevious Mingo here....

Who’s your guy

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Lamar Jackson, I believe he will be overdrafted because he's a good athlete.

If he did not have the ability to run, his lack of good footwork, inaccuracy, lack of ability to read blitzes will prove to be his downfall.

We have an example in Hackenberg of a QB who had to redo all of his fundamentals and may never see the field anyway.

If those fundamentals are not already clean in college, the NFL is not a place to start working on those type of fundamentals.

#2 Red Menace, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm with both of you guys. Key would obviously be great to add but I'd be very nervous about #6 pick overall and putting all the chips on him. I'm also starting to become a negative Nancy on these rookie QBs. I like all of them per se and am rooting for them but for the Jets to take any one of them and have them fail would be such a disaster it'd take 4 paragraphs to go through how bad it would be from about 68 different angles.

A star future QB is the most IDEAL thing but I think the most IMPORTANT thing might just be making damn sure whatever you get is a big plus and not a negative. To that end I'm thinking

1) Darnold
    2) Rosen (I acknowledge he's awesome but I'm not a big fan personally)
    3) Chubb
    4) or really 3A because they are pretty much a tie Barkley

It seems from what I'm seeing that Chubb and Barkley are the two guys who are the closest possible things to sure shot franchise changing star caliber players. But those two QB seem to be the best shot of not being failures and because QB is so much more important than any other position I think if one of them is available you have to roll the dice.

That is also assuming no Cousins or Alex Smith or whatever. As much of a **ssy way to look at it I think I'd rather take the sure shot free agent/established/trade veteran and go for it right away than a young QB who will at best take 2 or 3 years to mold and have a high risk of following the rough Sanchez trajectory where they show signs but just don't have the magic. If we don't go this route though I hope we get one of those four guys and in that order. I think gun to the head I'd go with Chubb over Barkley. He just looks so awesome to me.

BomberJet likes this.
  4. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Hardy from BC. I like Key and Chubb also, but prefer Hardy. None of these qbs are worth a top ten pick. They all have some sort or issues.

5. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I don't like key, chubb is good but any defensive pick ends my jet fandom

6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The Wyoming QB that should go on day 3 but is getting top 10 buzz

almbleamal and njjets93 like this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mayfield
    Product of his system and his conference.

Peebag and JethroTull like this.
  8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Allen scares me most of the top-ranked QBs.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Any QB not named Darnold, Rosen or Jackson ... I really think those are the big 3

Outside of the QBs:

1. Arden Key
    2. Derwin James

10. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

As of right now, it would be Darnold for me.
    I haven't watched a ton of tape, but his fumbling problem has really put me off for now.

xxedge72x likes this.
  11. Big Cat

It’s interesting that there’s actually some diversity in QB opinions this year. The last couple years we reached a pretty firm consensus on wanting Mahomes and Wentz, respectively. Should make for a more fun draft season.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its also a scary thing. The old saying if you have two QB's you most likely don't have one applies. Everyone being all over on them means that no one stands out and they all have some serious flaws.

13. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield, because I don't think either will be anything special, or even good enough to consistently start, in the NFL.

Josh Rosen because of his attitude.

njjets93 likes this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Arden Key is the most suspect prospect in the first round for me.

As for QB's - I'm weary of Darnold coming out as I think he looked incredibly raw this season and thought he should have stayed in school to develop. Selfishly though, he coming out means that he adds to the pool of QB's which helps with the Jets picking outside of the top 5. Would I be upset if the Jets drafted Darnold, no, but I don't even think the Jets will get a shot at him.

I think Darnold will go #1 and Rosen #2.

Rosen would have gone #1 but he opened up his mouth about how he rather get selected by a different team.

15. Big Cat

Idk, we always gloss over question marks in hindsight and emphasize them in the moment. Every QB from the last few classes has had some concerns.

Trubisky was a 1 year starter from a spread offense, Mahomes was air raid, Watson was undersized with a weak arm and also spread.

Wentz was from the FCS, Goff was air raid, Lynch was very raw.

Winston was immature with a propensity for turnovers, Mariota came from the Oregon uptempo offense.

I don’t see this year’s prospects having question marks that are more significant than years past, we just seem to all be liking different ones this time.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Jackson and Rosen, I agree with you on. I totally disagree with you regarding Mayfield.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They are all very different with their own types of issues. Some are worse then others. Gotta watch the tape, evaluate the prospect, ensure you take their strengths and fit it into the system. There's no flawless prospect in this draft. Not even close, but there are guys you can win with. That's why I am not a fan of Mayfield in Green. Mayfield really should pray to the heavens he goes to the Saints. I don't view him as a fit in Green.

Josh Allen scares the living crap out of me, but he has amazing potential, his raw talents might allow him to succeed early.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

That's fine. A lot of people are buying into the Mayfield hype, I just don't like QB outlier's myself, but I won't be rooting against the kid, especially if he winds up being the pick here, but I doubt very much he will be because Maccagnan has proven he has a thing, and rightfully so, for prototypical QB's.

For every Brees and Wilson, there are hundreds who didn't make it and Mayfield's Oklahoma offense will lead to a bit of a transition period in the NFL. Jets fans aren't patient enough for that, I'm afraid. Developing a QB has never been easy here for a lot of reasons, but currently I'd say mostly because of the fan base and the coaching staff. I don't believe in anyone on this staff, outside of maybe Bates, to develop a young QB.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong if QB at 6 is the direction we choose to go in.

Noam and FJF like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can totally understand your doubts regarding Mayfield, especially with regards to your comments about not believing in anyone on the staff outside of Bates and the impatience of the fan base. I agree with you there. The deck would definitely be stacked against Mayfield and Allen in that regard, but also to a lesser degree with Darnold. In fact, with Darnold, the fan base would probably be even less patient and would demand that he start day one, and I think he's probably the least likely of the top QBs to be ready to start day one. If he was forced to start day one, I think he could very easily wind up being a bust.

20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Da'Ron Payne. Don't get me wrong he's good but I don't want another DL in the first. Also Alabama kids are very hit and miss as pros.

NCJetsfan likes this.