Mac vs. Tanny

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Jan 4, 2018.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Hasty did Groh not get a fair shake or did he leave on his own to go Virginia ? BTW its not hard to debate who had better drafts as Tanny / Mangini were better than whats going on with Mac / Bowels or Rex, theres no comparison . I don't trust Mac to make the right evaluation , I mean anyone of us could have drafted Williams he was THE PICK and if you look at the rest of his selections after that its pretty scary . Its not even like Mac has done well in the draft, we still don't have an edge rusher, or a FQB and our Offensive line has big holes and there is not one skill position player that other teams have to account for ,think about that ! Now if you want to compare Mac to Idzyck then he looks great but considering Id had 12 selection and not one is still around ,,,,,,,,,,,yeah then he looks good,,,,IMO Mac is just more of the same ole

2. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Exactly and really that's what everyone in this thread is refusing to acknowledge. Whether you like the way it was done or not, maybe you didn't appreciate the cap hell he left us in after his firing, what happened in 2009 and 2010 is called RESULTS. Results is something no other GM can claim. Not Bradway, Idzik, or MAC for that matter, 3 YEARS into his tenure no less, can claim any sort of results.

Now obviously, we didn't win the SB, so the ultimate result was still not attained, but Tanny still recorded a lot more RESULTS than any else including Mac.

KurtTheJetsFan and James Hasty like this.
  3. Mainejet

Calm the fuck down, dude. No one is asking you to go snake shit about this. It's a thread and we are expressing our OPINIONS. BTW, everyone has one.

Tanny did get us into cap hell, however, prior to that he produced far more results than any other GM. We went to two championship games and that is far more results than anyone else you might be advocating for.

Now, I'm not saying the end justifies the means, but Tanny does have some tangible results to fall back on. Whereas, every other GM is a whole lot of talk and ZERO results.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So - with the cap hell, how are the dolphags doing?

If he does get his team to the post season consistently, despite the cap hell, then sure. I will be on your bandwagon as well.

There are more than that however - there is this thing called 'BLIND LUCK.' Or you could call it "Beginner's luck." If I had to bet my two cents, he won't get anything half as close as what he had with the Jets. That is - unless he changes his approaches to the draft picks and the salary cap structure.

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree with you 100%. Mangini knew talent. He made those draft boards and you see the results. Rex made the other draft boards and you see the results. It's ashame about Mangini. His ego really hurt him. Smart football guy. Could've really set us up. Not sure what he is doing now but he'd be great in a front office. Don't have him interact with the media and just look at film and find football players.

rinvesto likes this.
  6. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Tanny sucked, it was all Mangini. Mangini should have tried to become scout and then if he was good at it work up to being a GM. Guy wasn't a good head coach.

rinvesto likes this.
  7. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Tannenbaum wasn’t a scout, and relied heavily on Bradway, Mangini, and Rex to pick players. If you recall Bradway and Tannenbaum blamed Mangini for the Gholston pick.

rinvesto and stinkyB like this.
  8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

some revisionist history here.....

Yes, They made some great draft picks...... They (or he since some people insist the coach was calling the shots) also drafted Vernon Friggin Gholston with the 6th overall pick (not worthy of a 6th rounder), and in the same draft traded up to take Dustin Keller in the first round (decent player but trade up in the first round?!)

His screw job was to himself by the way he handled his personell.... and that 2008 may have had some of the worst game planning and play calling I've ever seen. THAT's why they missed the playoffs, not because of Favre's sore arm..... Then went onto Cleveland to continue his downward spiral.

I'm not saying Mac is killing the draft (he's not) but it's hard to compare draft to draft as talent availability isnt always comparable.
    2006 was a STACKED draft and many teams came away with good players, but yes they took advantage... it didnt hurt that they also had alot of picks (they did blow 2nd and 3rd picks) , unlike Idzik who also came on he scene facing a very talented draft (also holding alot of picks) but he totally shit the bed and that's the main reason why the JETS have sucked the past few years.

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The Idzik 12. Are any of them still in the league? I think Jermiah George with the Colts and Brandon Dixon with the Giants. I remember yelling at the tv every time they drafted. I remember the 4th round. Take Bruce Ellington not Jaleen Saunders. Take Martavias Bryant not Shaq Evans. What an emabrassment. I could've drafted better.

I think this was a Tannebaum pick that gets me. Why take Stone hands Stephen Hill. Flashed at the combine but not in college. Alshon Jeffrey has height (which you can't teach) and a proven record of being a good receiver. Those picks still haunt me.

10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Off-topic aside:

Groh ran full speed ahead to Virginia (his Alma Mater). I don't blame him for going after his dream job, and I know a lot of people remember him as a poor coach, and not without reason.

Personally, the 2000 season was the most enjoyable 9-7 season I've ever witnessed, as a fan. I have vivid memories of every player on that team, and of almost every game played that season. The Monday Night game against Miami was awful to watch until it was AMAZING. At Baltimore to close the season was AMAZING to watch until it was awful.

Also, it was Woody Johnson's first year, and we didn't know he was terrible yet.

James Hasty and JetsNation06 like this.
  11. Mainejet

I don't understand what you're trying to tell me? I didn't say Tanny should not have been fired. After bad drafts from 2008 to 2012, Tanny deserved it.

However, what he did in his first 3 seasons I believe is better than what Mac has done. He drafted superior talent. He acquired superior talent via trades (Jenkins) and FA (Woody, Faneca, Richardson, etc.)

Mac put the Jets in a good financial position, but we've become progressively worse each and every season Mac has been here.

12. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Firing Tannenbaum wasn’t necessarily a mistake. Firing Tannnenbaum and keeping Rex was a huge mistake. In fact if you spoke to Woody off the record I guaranty that he would admit that decision was biggest mistake he has made as owner of the Jets.

If you recall Idzik was hardly the first choice. He was getting turned down left and right because no qualified GM in his right mind wanted to come into a situation with a lame duck head coach forced upon them.

If Woody wanted to keep Rex he should have kept Tannenbaum in place as well. Having your coach and GM on different timelines presents a lot of challenges.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

My point? Tannenbaum's first draft success is more likely a fluke than a constant. [And his other GM abilities are garbage.]

14. LeonNYJ

One thing I've learned in my years of watching sports.

Fire GM -> Fire Coach - Acceptable
    Keep GM -> Fire Coach - Acceptable
    Fire GM -> Keep Coach - Unacceptable

The reason why #3 never works is because if you have an awesome coach your team will probably be good enough that people won't be questioning to fire the GM. Only time #3 may work is if the coach is amazing and has enough power to get the GM out (i.e. Belichick level guys).

The fact that the Jets did #3 with Rex was just plain stupid.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

that was bradway with herm. he then over reacted to the missed kick by selecting mike nugent with their first pick in that 2005 draft(2nd rd pick)
    while also trading away their 1st rounder for doug fucking jolley. heath miller would have been their on our pick and would have filled the tight end position for 10 years. taht would end the bradway era(thankfully) although he somehow managed to stay employed after being fired

16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Is this a serious question?

We haven't made the playoffs once under MacCagnan's leadership.

Hold on I forgot we're doing things the right way now.

*rollseyes*

17. LeonNYJ

The jury is still out on Mac. His drafts haven't been that good, but he also intentionally just spent last year purging the roster of dead weight while hardly signing anybody. To me, this is the year where we find out about Mac.

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

So far Tanny seems to be better based on those 3 drafts, but don't forget that Tanny's tendancy to trade up constantly and overpay free agents set our franchise back in the long run. So many backloaded contracts. It's too early to judge all of Mac's picks. Obviously when you trade up, you will get better players, but how many years did we go through with just 3 or 4 draft picks total after that? You have to factor that in. If Macc traded up every year, he'd have better picks in many cases.

#38 Sam Hammer, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018