Rank These 4 Quarterbacks (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield) . . .

Discussion in 'Draft' started by slimjasi, Jan 7, 2018.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

from most wanted to least wanted.

My current order:

1) Josh Rosen - Best pure passer in the draft. Could be special. (Slight concern over previous injuries?)

2) Sam Darnold - I think he's going to be really good, I just prefer Rosen's accuracy and passing prowess. (Darnold's intangibles help close the gap, IMO)

3) Baker Mayfield - I actually think he has a chance to be a very good NFL quarterback and believe the height issue is overrated. However, there is no way his ceiling is as high as that of Rosen/Darnold, IMO.

4) Josh Allen - I have literally not seen him take a single snap. He appears to be a prototypical NFL QB specimen who is extremely raw (e.g. considerable accuracy issues). On the flip side, he supposedly has a cannon and played in a pro-style offense at Wyoming. Personally, I'm always weary of taking projects, but as I am firmly in the "Jets need to draft a good motherfucking QB prospect at all costs" camp, I would still gladly take him at 6. (However, I do not think that I would trade up for him)

Note: I decided to leave Lamar Jackson and Mason Rudolph out, but if you must, feel free to include those guys in your rankings.

Have at it.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Rosen can stay healthy he will take the least coordinated effort to develop given where his skillset is already at. From the Jets point of view that has to be a huge consideration. Training young NFL QB's is clearly not a Jets strong suit and has not been since Chad took 2+ years to get a start and was then very good for awhile. The health question mark is real and the Jets have to evaluate that as a major consideration.

Darnold is the second most likely guy to succeed and could have a very high ceiling if he is put in a rookie bubble and brought along at a reasonable pace his first season or two. He isn't going to want to do that but it's very unusual for guys to get thrown on the field and screw things up for awhile and then succeed in this era in the NFL. An Elway-esque first couple of years doesn't turn into a Hall of Fame career in the 21st century like it did in the 80's. Note that NFL head coaches didn't turn over as often in the 80's as they do now. 1st Round NFL QB's were generally 3 year starters also and were close to a year older on average than 1st Round NFL QB's are today.

There's a big difference between 23 year old John Elway landing in Denver and 21 year old Sam Darnold landing wherever he does. The Broncos owned Elway's rights essentially in perpetuity and so they had a vested interest in developing him even if he kept making mistakes early on. Nobody is going to own Darnold's rights in the same way and a shaky rookie year followed by ok second and third years is going to leave a team wondering if they have Elway or Bortles on their hands at the point they have to start thinking about locking him up.

Everybody else is essentially a bit worse than a coinflip to be a good QB and they'll all need a really solid plan in place to hit their ceiling.

NCJetsfan and slimjasi like this.
  3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think Rosen is the most ready to start year 1. The arm, the swag the savvy to be a franchise QB, I think he has IT.

#2 is Mayfield. Again I think he has what it takes in a market like NY to get the job done. He's a bit small but I LOVE the arm talent. Quite accurate and can extend plays the best out of this group IMO.

#3 is Darnold. He was so spectacular a year ago carving up PSU that his stock was on the rise. Coming back and losing so much on the offensive line hurt his stock a bit. I think besides Mayfield, he can manipulate and make things happen. Doesn't have the super rocket arm but I love what he can do.

#4 is Rudolph. I think he's a high floor and low ceiling type. He's a big QB but he can move quite a bit. Great arm that can push it down field but I love that experience about him. Honestly besides Rosen and Baker, I'd love to grab Mason (maybe in a trade back? )

#5 is Allen. He lost a ton of guys going into this season so it's very hard to judge considering Wyoming can't just reload like other good schools. But to me in a time for Mac, you can't take a super project kid much in the mold of Hack. Allen is the type of kid that will put you into Unemployment. His arm is amazing but the accuracy concerns me.

#6 is Jackson and again he's a huge project that Mac can ill afford to take. Good arm talent, of course the legs are amazing but can you teach him up? Again you draft him high, he's the type that will get you fired. Guys like Allen and Jackson need places to develop for 2 years at least or a situation behind an older QB.

4. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Maybe the question to ask is what QB would be the best for the Jets who run a West Coast offense under Morton? I also think the jets would be wise to stay where they are because I am not convinced either Rosen or Darnold are worth such a high selection. Josh Allen intrigues me but he may be an over hyped QB. He definitely has the size and arm to play in the cold weather of the North East. I am also concerned that Mayfield might not be able to handle the NFL punishment. But I have a strange feeling the Jets will pick this guy as their QB.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rosen
    Darnold
    Lamar Jackson
    Josh Allen

Peebag likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Rosen
    Darnold
    Allen
    Jackson

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

After the Steelers beat the Pats badly you will be too concerned with the can of whoopass it opens between Shady , Bellicheat and Krafty Kraft to be sticking your dumb looking nose in here

pib01 likes this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Let's go to the videotape:

1983 QB Draft - If there was ever a time to find a QB this was it:

1. John Elway - HOF one of the best QBs ever, won 2 SBs at the tail end of his career, now GM
    7. Todd Blackledge - Whoops
    14. Jim Kelly - HOF, 0-4 in the big game
    15. Tony Eason - Whoops
    24. Ken O'Brien - Multiple pro bowls injuries derailed best season ending in double OT dividional playoff loss
    27 Dan Marino - HOF QB lost his only SB appearance
    162 Reggie Collier - Who?
    168 Babe Laufenberg - Who?
    197 Gary Kubiak - Career backup, now HC
    267 Tom Ramsey - Who?
    272 Bruce Matheson - Who?
    280 Jim Bob Taylor - Who?
    Clete Casper - Round 12
    David Mangrum - Round 12
    Scott Lindquest - Round 12

Four starters and two backups in the greatest QB draft of all time

Now let's check out 2004:

1. Eli Manning - 2 SB wins, future HOF
    4. Philip Rivers - Multiple Pro Bowls, Zero SB wins
    11 Ben Rothlisberger - 2 SB wins, future HOF
    22. JP Losman - Whoops
    90 Matt Schaub - Meh
    106 Luke McNown - Who?
    148 Craig Krenzel - Who?
    185 Andy Hall - Who?
    187 Josh Harris - Who?
    193 Jim Sorgi - Who?
    201 Jeff Smoker
    202 John Navarre
    217 - Cody Picket
    218 - Casey Bramlet
    225 - Matt Mauck
    248 - BJ Symons

Still think this draft class has four to six starters?

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

1. Darnold- instincts and feel for position are off the charts. Don’t believe he is nearly the project some make it out to be.

2.Mayfield- Heart personified, natural leader, teammates love him. All more important than having the strongest arm in the draft.

3. Rosen- Top notch physical skills, as we’ve seen many times before it takes a hell of a lot more than physical skills to be a top notch QB in the NFL. Major attitude and durability questions, interviews will be important.

4. Allen- If he could consistently make the easy throws he’d be the first pick in the draft. He can’t though which makes him the riskiest QB in draft. I’d still take him but easier to say that from the comfort of my couch than gambling a multi million dollar job on it.

10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

#1 is Mayfield. Accuracy is the most important thing for a QB. He has been the most accurate college QB over the last 3 years. His yards per attempt has also been the best in college over the last 3 years. Add in his great TD/Int ratio which shows lack of mistakes/mental errors and he is the most ready for the NFL.

#2 Rosen. He has the arm and height (needs more weight) you want in a QB, but his 2/1 (TD/Int) ratio over the last 3 years and lower YPA and Comp% than his peers worries me. Add in the injuries and he may be one to stay away from.

#3 Rudolph. A big QB with a great arm. He can move better on his feet than you would expect, scoring 10 TDs. His YPA and TD/Int ratio is on par with Mayfields. His 4904 yards passing, 37 Tds (passing) and 10 Tds (Rushing) to 9 Ints, plus 10 YPA made this year an incredible season for him.

#4 Darnold. His great 2016 year is keeping him this high. He took a step back this year, but still a top 5 QB.

#5 Falk. He is not getting the credit he deserves. A 4 year starter and held a 69% Comp% over that period, with a 4/1 TD/Int ratio. He is a pocket QB all the way and the biggest knock is he will not score you any Tds with his feet.

* No running QB, give me an accurate passer who can read defenses and make the throws, so he doesn't have to run.

My Rudy award goes to McKenzie Milton who came out of nowhere and had a great year. He should stay in college another year or two and if he keeps it up might still make it even despite his Flutie height.

Top QB top watch in college, Jake Fromm. He plays in a pro style offense and looks ten times better than Josh Rosen. He is a TRUE Freshman and looking incredible. Give him a couple years in that program and we will be saying #1 pick in the draft.

blackssmagic likes this.
  11. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Why is Josh Allan on this list? A two year starter who throw a grand total of 5015 yards over two years. A 44 TD to 21 Int ration, which nothing that great in college, and worst of all he only maintained a 56% Comp%. Four games this year he couldn't manage to get higher than a 50% comp% and we are talking against colleges like Gardner-Webb, Air Force, and Hawaii. I know he played in a pro-style offense, but he sucked, and it won't get better once he is against the best defenses the NFL has. If you want to see what he should have looked like, just watch tape on Fromm.

Peebag, almbleamal, JetLifeLo and 2 others like this.
  12. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

1. Darnold
    2. Allen
    3. Rosen
    4. Mason Rudolph

13. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Rosen - Most pro ready out of the bunch imo
    Mayfield- Has the it factor out of the group
    Allen- Best characteristics/physical tools
    Darold-Also might have the "It factor"
    Jackson-Best running QB

#13 JohnnyP123456, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

There goes that word "project" word again. What exactly makes Allen a project? The fact that he has some accuracy concerns? If so, that's not likely to change too much in the NFL. Outside of Rosen, he is probably the 2nd most ready to start on opening day. He's actually taken snaps from center, can perform 3-5-7 step drop w/ or w/o a hitch, experienced in identifying coverage after turning his back to the defense, has called plays in the huddle...etc. Most of those other guys not named Rosen have limited to no experience with this stuff. Also he doesn't a lot of mechanical issues to correct like Hack or Petty. A lot of his inaccurate passes are when he is throwing off platform which he does a lot even when it's not necessary. I'm sure the fact that he probably does not trust his line has something to do with that. "Boon or bust" maybe, but project he is not. BTW I think coaching will have a lot to do on which direction his career goes in the NFL.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Rosen - He's the most ready to go and the best pure thrower
    Darnold - raw but tons of potential.

A gap before Mayfeild - he's talented but I have concerns about arm strength and attitude.

I'd place Jackson before Allen and I think Jackson is a big project. Allen is getting over hyped because a his huge arm, but I dont see the accuracy to make it work in the NFL.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

This is what makes pussing out and trying to go the Cousins route very tempting to me. I'm very concerned Mac is going to try to get out from behind his desk, waddle bravely out in the minefield. We'll all be excited and cheering for him and then we're all going to hear a "click"

And the next thing we know it'll be 2021 and our faces are going to still have black burn marks on them. And years from now a post similar to this will have an "oops!" or "who?" next to Josh Allen, Luke Jackson, Mayfield or whoever it was we blundered into.

Brook!, blackssmagic and James Hasty like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's on this list because he has the strongest arm, prototypical size, great movement skills/athleticism, and probably the highest ceiling. Have you seen him play? Have you read how many dropped passes he suffered? Have you read how awful his OL was and how he was usually running for his life on every play? If so, then you should know how hard it is for a QB to complete passes when he's running for his life and his WRs have crappy hands.

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

1. Baker Mayfield - Extremely accurate (68.5% career completion percentage), owns the two best years for QB rating in college football history, smart, a leader, great at extending plays and creating something out of nothing, a fiery competitor, 4-year starter, has the attitude to be a star in NY, can make all the throws, has the "it" factor, doesn't turn the ball over, mobility

2. Rosen - Accurate (60.8% career completion percentage), lots of talent, strong arm, 3-year starter, could start immediately, but Major red flags with concussions and slender build, poor decision making/forcing the ball into coverage, questionable attitude, wilts under pressure in close games?

3. Darnold - Smart, accurate (64.9% career completion percentage), excellent size, knows how to move safety with eyes, a competitor, can extend plays and create. Probably a better prospect than Rosen. My biggest issue is that he probably has the weakest arm of any of the top 6 QBs (if one includes Jackson), and I'm not certain if he can make all the throws in the Northeast winters. Only a 2-year starter. Turns the ball over too much. Like Allen has some fundamental issues that need to be addressed. Possibly needs to sit for a year or two, and I'm not sure the Jets have a QB Coach, OC and HC who can develop him.

4. Rudolph - Big, strong-armed QB, 3-year starter, accurate (63.2% career completion percentage), plenty of big game experience, doesn't turn the ball over, can score

5. Allen - Cannon for an arm that should be very effective in Northeast winters, prototypical size, can throw the ball with amazing accuracy on the move, mobile, perhaps the biggest upside of any QB in this class. Only a 2-year starter. The problem is that overall his stats and accuracy weren't that good. A lot of that can be attributed to a lack of talent around him, running for his life on most passing downs, having no rushing attack, and WRs with bad hands, but still a very risky pick. Possibly needs to sit for a year or two, and I'm not sure the Jets have a QB Coach, OC and HC who can develop him.

Hopefully, the Jets draft one of these QBs. I don't like any other QB in the draft.

19. Brandon Moore's Butt

Brandon Moore's Butt Active Member

[​IMG]

The Dark Knight and JetLifeLo like this.
  20. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

The Pats dynasty will not last forever and I am prepared for a potential loss to the Titans, the Steelers, or a SB loss. But if the Pats do win the SB, I hope you and the rest of the board don't take it out on me. The Pats have had a tremendous success recently and as a long time fan I believe I am playing with house money at this time.

As to the Jets my 2nd team, I was making a football point here and like many on this board you have to go off topic to insult me. I am sorry you don't like my nose, but I do think its cute. If you disagree with my football point on the Jets, I am all ears. Otherwise to me it sounds like sour grapes.

westiedog1 likes this.