After Darnold and Rosen, any other QB's worth to trade up to 3 for?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Dec 28, 2017.

1. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

The difference is I believe in the intangibles in Mahomes that made him worth a top pick. I don't see the intangibles in this years group. I guess a good example would be Cutler. He has the tools,a great arm but lacks something. That something separates the average QB from the franchise. I am sure one of the this years group is gonna prove me wrong but that player will probably be the one someone other than the Jets or Browns take.

This Jets team isn't very good but could you imagine it without Leonard Williams and Adams... We may have been drafting in front to the Giants, lol.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I feel. Everyone points to Brady being found in the 6th, but they also forget that the Pats already had their FQB, so it really wasn't anything more than a "Why the hell not" move on their part. But the Jets DON'T have a FQB or even a decent one, and haven't for years. Given that the odds are that 61% of 1st round QBs succeed to some degree, they're being stupid if they don't take one this time. And if they don't use that first pick on a QB, (or possibly their 2nd pick ), then they shouldn't even bother wasting any of the other picks on one.

3. ColoradoContrails

I completely agree about Mahomes, and have said that he's probably better than anyone in this class - which makes me grit my teeth even more that the Jets passed on him:mad:. But it's not like this group isn't good, and possibly even better - who really knows? I would argue that Rosen and Mayfield for sure have that "IT" factor, and would be thrilled to have either on the Jets. Where Mayfield's arm isn't as strong as Mahomes - hell almost NOBODY'S arm is as strong ! - he has more accuracy, and he does share the ability to extend plays and make something out of nothing - BTW: his arm IS strong enough to make all the throws.

In the end you're entitled to your opinion, but I hope I've given you some facts to consider.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

You know what they say about figures lie and liars figure. I still would like to know who the Harvards consider the 22% "average". They gave no explaination or objective analysis.

With the NFL numbers draw your own conclusions the raw data is there.

NC, Colorado and others I am sure are sold on selecting a QB in the #6 slot. I may be converted as a result of combines, but now i am not sold on any QB at #6..

Mayfield is an immature jerk,, never mind selecting Mayfield we should look at drafting the cop that tackled him when he tried to running as he was being questioned about drinking. Not a player I want to cheer for. You may convince me of Rosen, Allen or Darnold, but not Mayfield, I doubt it though,lol.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Guy, what do you base your opinion on Mayfield being an "immature jerk"? My guess is that you're only having a knee-jerk reaction to the incidents, and have read absolutely nothing about him and his character. I have read 3 articles this year from different sources, and they all speak very highly of who Mayfield is. He is no jerk.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

I was a big time Mahomes supporter last year and heard all kinds of arguments about system QB , poor technique, etc. Nobody said he was a character problem or that he was immature.. He wasn't disciplined by Texas Tech in four years... he wasn't arrested by police in college.. you can't say that about Mayfield.. He just makes plays. One more point, Mahomes is bigger than Mayfield.. Pat won't run as much which is a good thing, Mahomes scrambles from the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield, he rarely takes off and runs...

I said it last year a lot about college QBs. Sometimes the ratings are influenced by who surrounds them. OU had all 4 and 5 star kids surrounding him at OU. Give a Faulk or someone similar the surrounding cast and they may look like they have" it".

I appreciate the debate with you guys and who knows maybe one of us will be converted.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Cousins isnt coming here...and what a relief

After FA is over ..you will think all the QBs you dissed are wonderful

"We draft the cop that tackled Mayfield"....yeah right brilliant

8. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

NC I don't want to argue over Mayfield being a jerk or not..But .... I just don't find his behavior acceptable for a top draft pick. I am sure you could find articles on what an upstanding citizen Joe Mixon was also..
    Do you hear yourself NC, I am having a " knee jerk reaction to the INCIDENTS" And these Incidents have nothing to say about his character? What do you think character is?

We just have a difference of opinion on this one

9. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

As I posted earlier I think Cousins is over rated and over priced... I like options like Bridgewater.

The only dissing I am doing is with regard to QBs is saying they are not worth a top pick. They all have talents but they all have what I believe are issues.. Issues that should move them down the draft board, but with the rush to find that franchise QB teams will reach and hope to hit the lottery. If the Jets were a 8 or 9 win team and drafting in late teens I might see taking a shot at Darnold or Rosen but not at #6.

10. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

As I posted earlier I think Cousins is over rated and over priced... I like options like Bridgewater.

The only dissing I am doing is with regard to QBs is saying they are not worth a top pick. They all have talents but they all have what I believe are issues.. Issues that should move them down the draft board, but with the rush to find that franchise QB teams will reach and hope to hit the lottery. If the Jets were a 8 or 9 win team and drafting in late teens I might see taking a shot at Darnold or Rosen but not at #6.

11. NYJetsO12

In that case This: Just say no to all Retreads and worse Injured Retreads LMAO

12. ColoradoContrails

While I enjoy the opportunity to trade POVs, I think you're overlooking a key part of the stats I've provided. A QB is THE MOST BY FAR impactful position on the team. If a QB isn't worth a #6 (or higher) pick, then no position is. The only reason for not taking a QB that high is if you believe they aren't 1st round quality - i.e. FQB-quality. There's a lot of dissection and analysis to be done before draft day, but most observers say the top 4-6 guys have FQB potential, and probably at least of 4 of them go within the first 6 picks. That's what the "going rate" is these days for a guy who can single-handedly transform your team.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

I agree the QB is the by far the most impactful position ,, my only point is you better be damn sure... Picking the wrong one is a sure way to become unemployed if your a GM. If I saw someone there I really liked I might take the gamble, but this year I don't.. Like I said maybe after the combines I will change my mind, but not yet. I don't see a sure thing there at QB. My opinion.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If you wait for a sure thing at QB in the draft you may be waiting decades, considering there’s been maybe 3 sure thing QB prospects to enter draft since 1984.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

with all the negative talk about josh Allen there’s a strong chance he will be available at 6 ...... I’m watching the saints and panthers .... and think about this ...... Allen could be the second coming of Cam Newton without the attitude and terrible wardrobe .....same size big arm and can run!!! I’ll sign up for that

16. ColoradoContrails

You're entitled to your opinion, as we all are. As my friend's grandfather used to say: "If everyone only liked chocolate, they'd have to throw the vanilla away.

17. ColoradoContrails

"Attitude" is a big part of what makes Cam, Cam. A QB should have an attitude IMO, but it does need to be channeled in the right direction.

njjets93 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Again, my problem isn't that you disagree, it's the fact that you're ignorant of who he is, have read nothing about him, and your opinion is set. Sorry, but that's just ignorant. The difference is my opinion is informed, and yours isn't. I've taken the trouble to seek out and read articles about him. Yours is based on knee jerk or gut reaction to what he did. By you own words, you have read nothing about him, and even if you had, it's clear that you would dismiss them based on your comment about Joe Mixon. No one was saying that Joe Mixon had good character. That's just ridiculous.

I'm not dismissing the public intoxication arrest, but that has happened to a lot of people and it doesn't mean that they have bad character or are jerks. People make mistakes. Grabbing his crotch in the heat of the moment when he was disrespected, and trying to plant the OU flag on OSU's field are nothing, and it's nuts to try to claim that those show bad character.

People with bad character don't drive hundreds of miles so as not to disappoint a little kid they hardly know at his birthday party. People with bad character aren't immensely popular and friends with all their teammates, nor are they greatly respected and loved by their HC.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time or put you down, but rather am trying to help you see that things aren't always as they seem. Often times we need to look past the mistake(s) that someone makes and find out more about a person before we just dismiss them and write them off.

#78 NCJetsfan, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

Plus a hundred

Last year no one liked the QB class that included Mahomes and Watson

Our brilliant GM passed on a crucial need for the team and selected two safeties who showed no immediate impact on the defense

This year ..well of course something isn't PERFECT among the most talented QB class in years ...year after year posters look under rocks and skeletons in draft picks closets

At 21 WHO IS MATURE ??? LMAO ..On Draft Day and Combines .Mayfield will be suited up polished ,ready to answer questions and take responsibilities for his off field mistakes...remember Winston stealing crab legs from Publix supermarket????? LMAO ...all water under the bridge

Sure let's have stupid stuff dictate how we choose over talent and potential

#79 NYJetsO12, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

After the first two QBs are off the board I wouldn't take any of the other guys at # 6.