Latest 4 Round Mock from Draft Wire

Discussion in 'Draft' started by James Hasty, Jan 4, 2018.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I'm thinking he lasts until some time in 2019, he's staying in school

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks. Now that's out of the way.

4. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

I like this scenario. Stidham and Faulk have their issues but so do the so called projected top QBs in this draft.. I don't want to waste a number 6 pick for a player that will not have an immediate impact and one that will take 2 to 3 years to "develop" if they ever do develop.

Either Stidham or Faulk in the third would be good value..

Just caught post about Stidham staying,, oh well there is still Faulk.

5. ColoradoContrails

First, Stidham has said he's returning to school. Second, if a guy is a bust, it doesn't matter where you take him, he's not a good "value". I think Faulk will be a bust. Third, the Jets aren't going to the SB this year or next in all probability, and sure aren't going there without a FQB, so why not use their best pick on the best QB prospect they can grab?

JetsNation06 likes this.
  6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

While I don't pretend to know a lot about these guys. From what I watched this year, if the first 4 rounds went like this it would be a steal. Miller and Barkley help his offense in so many ways. Miller can go up and get it with the best of them. This really is a good draft

7. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Colorado I noted Stidhams return to Auburn. Faulk may be a bust or he may be a future Tom Brady, thats why drafting a QB is more luck than science.. most of the other QBs listed as top ten picks will likely be busts (see Harvard study). I don't see us taking a gamble with a #6 pick, the pick is too rich. Remember your Harvard study ,, over what 30 years a 39% success rate.. thats a 61% failure rate as far as franchise Qbs go in the first. The combines really can't judge character , that is done through team research and interviews, but lets see what happens at the combines. There may be others like Faulk that may impress.

8. ColoradoContrails

Yes, but each successive round gets even worse: (From the Harvard study)

In fact, the first pick is the best time to take a QB: nine out of the fifteen QBs selected first overall in the past thirty years have become elite while only two have turned into busts. After the first round, the chances of selecting an elite quarterback plummet to 19% in the second, 6% in the third, and dwindle to 1% in the seventh round. Contrary to what many believe, the earlier you select a QB, the better the odds that he is actually good.

If you need a FQB - and the Jets do - the best place to take one is at 6 or higher. And BTW, you omitted the 22% of 1st round picks who are at least average - that's a 61% SUCCESS rate. You're right, I don't know how Faulk will turn out, but IMO he won't make it. But it's not like drafting ANY OTHER position is a science either. The difference is that QB is the most demanding position and the failure rate is high, but it's not like you can simply decide to not have a QB. The Jets have virtually tried that approach and where has it gotten them?

9. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

You hit on my point , that being that drafting a franchise QB has a high failure rate. If you pick one at #6 you better be right... McCag. and the Jets will be hammered by media and fans for selecting even an average QB. Bottom line is if your a GM that wants to keep his job, you select the player that will do the most to improve your team. A GM most times don't have the luxury to sit and watch a QB develop.

Who is in that 22% rate of "average"... I am sure its QBs we as Jet fans would surely be critical of.

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I've been looking this over. If the Jets actually went in a direction like this I'd like to maybe nominate Marcell Ateman for consideration over the 5'11" Miller. It just seems to me that if we add a receiver a big nasty dude would be highly preferable to pair up with Robby, Kearse etc.

Ateman is 6'4" 220 with mismatch size and watching his highlights I see a reassuring about of chaos and destruction being caused downfield.

11. ColoradoContrails

If you're so risk-averse to avoid taking a QB that you need, you don't deserve to be a GM. And no matter who Macc picks he's going to second guessed and criticized, so he's not going to avoid that.

And if there were EVER a GM who has the "luxury" to sit and wait, it would be Macc since the Johnsons just said that making the playoffs isn't necessary. NOW is exactly the right time to roll the dice.

Again, the SINGLE BIGGEST IMPACT POSITION is QB, so "selecting the player that will do your team the most good" is QB.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I like the kid out of Notre Dame but I think we would need to use our first second rounder if we wanted him:

Equanimeous St. Brown

[​IMG]

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This kid needs to be checked for his emissions level.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. The Waterboy

Will need to get his full name on a jersey
    Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown

Then draft his brothers when they are available
    Osiris Adrian Amen-Ra J. St. Brown and Amon-Ra Julian Heru J. St. Brown

BomberJet likes this.
  15. The Waterboy

Fitting that Brandon Moore's Butt liked your post

xxedge72x likes this.
  16. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Stidham is gonna stay at Auburn smart decision on his part QB class is really good

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'd be absolutely all for that if it worked out. I'm not totally on top of this stuff and my assumption was he'd likely be gone by the time we got to pick. Ateman looks intriguing (more than intriguing) to me and I assume we could get him with our 2nd 2nd round pick that we got from Seattle.

The more I think about this no matter what happens on the QB front I'd love for the Jets to get a guy like this. Along with the guys we already have I think that is just what we need to make our offense more flexible/dynamic. With this guy or an Ateman type we could in my mind even have somebody get injured and still be in pretty good shape.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yea he announced that a couple days after my post. It was a good decision for him.