Which Players Make Up Our "Young Core"?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Jan 3, 2018.

1. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Right .... and the jets don't have a QB right now, the 49ers and colts do, and in a few months so will the browns(unless they somehow fuck it up) You say get a QB and it transforms the team but what about the jets drafting or the overall history of jets QB's makes you think that will be such an easy task?

Every single team in the NFL is an Aaron Rodgers away from being a super bowl contender, because he is Aaron Rodgers, but you can't just say "oh go find an Aaron Rodgers" it's not that easy for any team and for a team like the jets it would be like finding the holy grail.

As of now the jets core is drek level shit. Only the dolphins and redskins are potentially our equals, which I gave you credit for pointing out

#41 6-10 once again, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

On defense

Williams
    Lee and Jenkins
    Adams and Maye

On offense

Anderson
    Possibly She’ll
    And possibly McGuire (I’m not sold on him as of yet)

We have some parts to build around on Defense, but little on the edge which are the most important positions. Jenkins is a set the edge run defender with very limited pass rushing ability.

On offense the cupboard is bare. Anderson is the only player I would count as young and productive to this point. Every on else is a bit role player or too uneven in their development to count on right now.

Mac really needs to nail this draft if he wants to retain his position for long.

Peebag likes this.
  3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

But that was my point, if we had a QB then everyone would be ecstatic about our young core but because we lack the two most important positions on both sides of the ball our core doesn't look as good.

QB aside we've got better depth and talent than both SF and Indy also Cleveland with all those picks they've done nothing with.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think that’s a big part of my problem with Mac. For all Tanny’s Flaws he understood the most important of Parcells messages. The most important positions in football are corner and edge rusher on defense and LT and QB on offense. Tanny addressed those areas, except edge rusher, very well. Mac has not and it shows. We can’t get to the QB, can’t protect the QB, and we lose. His philosophy of addressing the O line later in the draft kills me.

We have talent young talent for sure, just not enough of it in the right places.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

For those of you thinking a QB will turn things around over night let me show you what a young core should look like. I present the 2006 New York Jets (after Mangini's first draft as a head coach:

QB Chad Pennington 30 years old / 6 years experience
    LT D'Brichshaw Fergeson 24 years old / rookie
    OC Nick Mangold 22 years old / rookie
    OG Brandon Moore 26 years old / 3 years experience
    WR / RB / QB Brad Smith 23 years old / 3 years experience
    RB Leon Washington 24 years old / rookie
    WR Laverneous Coles 29 years old / 5 years experience
    WR Jerico Cotchery 24 years old / 2 years experience
    =====
    DE Shaun Ellis 29 years old / 6 years experience
    DE Bryan Thomas 27 years old / 4 years experience
    DT Dwayne Robertson 25 years old / 3 years experience
    ILB Jonathan Vilma 24 years old / 2 years experience
    OLB Eric Barton 29 years old / 8 years experience
    CB Andre Dyson 27 years old / 5 years experience
    FS Kerry Rhodes 24 years old / rookie
    SS Eric Smith 24 years old / 2 years experience
    =====
    K Mike Nugent 22 years old / 2 years experience
    CB / KR Justin Miller 22 years old / 2 years experience

Lot's of young talent. The biggest problem the team faced at the time was that it traded away John Abraham (arguably its best player) and was switching back from the 4-3 (cover 2) to the 3-4.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Holy core! The name mike nugent makes me cringe tho, imagine what would happen today if the jets drafted a kicker 2nd round

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Yup, we have the supplementary pieces defensively just need the EDGE and #1 Corner or at least another Claiborne level guy opposite him.

Offensively we need the LT, QB and maybe a dynamic Running Back as well along with a Center and I think we're good. I like our committee approach at WR, ASJ is a good TE and we have solid production from our Guards and RT but the lack of a Center is killing our line

We could theoretically improve all 6 of those areas this off-season but we'll see. Either way the foundation is solid, just need those key components to be figured out and our coaching staff has to obviously improve but I think adding those pieces will help more than people can see.

Harpua likes this.
  8. GreenInTheBowl

On offense I feel confident with our troupe of young receivers, granted they can all stay healthy. Especially with an improved o-line (most notably left tackle) and solid QB at the helm. A game-breaking, speedy running back and a more consistent TE are definitely at the forefront of our offensive needs. Let's face it, Forte is slow as molasses and Powell is far from impressive on a week to week basis.

Defensively, there's not much to show for. We desperately need a Jalen Ramsey type, young shutdown corner. Claiborne is 27, but can't stay on the field. He'll also want a premium contract. Skrine will never be anything more than a #3 corner. We have two young, promising safeties but both still have much to prove. Adams' tackling form is cringe-worthy to watch at times. We obviously need a young pure pass-rushing DE/OLB; this is our number two overall need IMO next to QB. Williams as a DE is solid, but not a superstar. Darren Lee is terrible and needs to be replaced ASAP.

So many needs on defense, but really on both sides of the ball. This "young core" narrative is BS.. half of our O-line is inept, we have mediocre RBs, no QB, and a questionable, inconsistent TE. Defensively, we lack corners, at least one interior linebacker, and literally have zero pure pass-rushers. McCagnan has a ton of pressure on him this off-season, and deservedly so. He should very much be under the gun this off-season, given there is so much cap-space available and also considering his very questionable previous draft picks thus far.

9. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how you can say that. Maybe because you watch the Jets more than you do those and other teams, but what young talent on this roster, outside of the safeties and Anderson, are you really that excited about? What young talent on this roster is praised outside of those three? We do a great job of over-rating our own talent, all fans do and I do too, but the fact is the Jets are just not that good and that falls on the Johnson's, the Ryan-Idzik forced marriage AND the Maccagnan-Bowles regime.

NYJetsO12 and Peebag like this.
  10. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Yep - people got to remember, this team overachieved at 5-11.
    5-11.

KurtTheJetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I like a lot of our guys(Adams, Maye, Q, Robbie, ASJ, McGuire, Shell, Lee, Ealy, Jenkins) and a few others as well who have some potential.

Point is, we lack the key pieces(QB and EDGE) and that will make any team look worse than their actual potential is.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  12. MurrellMartin

Not to mention the other key pieces we lack: 2 CB's, C, #1 WR, LT (Beachum isn't the answer), LG (Carpenter is aging, his play is declining and I believe a FA or will be in 2019), RT (not sold on Shell, can he stay on the field?), RB (McGuire is a nice rotational player, nothing more. Powell is 30 and can't stay healthy when he is given the bulk of the load), and we don't have a Head Coach, either.

Peebag likes this.
  13. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Those positions are easier to find however.

We’ve got a couple Corners, need a true lockdown, don’t need a #1 WR I like Morton and his committee approach, LG is fine for now, Shell is a good RT, RB needs a dynamic guy and we can easily add that. LT is fine with Beachum until an upgrade is available and we could use a Center.

Either way we have to get that EDGE and QB. It makes putting the surrounding parts in place easier.

14. MurrellMartin

I don't necessarily agree with you on your stance that we have a couple of corners. Claiborne is a FA and can't be relied upon. Who else is there? Burris struggled big time in Year 2 and in a bigger role. Roberts is OK at best. Skrine is a penalty machine who may or may not be back and if he is, is much better suited for the slot.

I'd disagree on LG and Beachum being fine, but sure, we could get another year (and probably will) out of Beachum. Just not sure how good it will be with either a declining Carpenter or a new LG.

As far as C goes, we NEED a new one. Johnson is poor.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Did we just lose one of our core?

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Uh, well, ....

Peebag likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think Lee might still be part of that

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Our young core just went full nuclear meltdown.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think Lee has more to prove. Sure he is starting but so is Bryce Petty (McNown is an UFA).

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep...

Anderson won't be "taking it to the house " for us

Probably on HIS way to the "big house"

Too bad..