Lamar Jackson 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

The problem with these videos is that they are selecting plays that validate their biases. Its crazy to go through a game film of a player and say that he should have done this or that. Josh Allen is playing on Wyoming against a BIG 10 school. His offensive line is giving him no time. Yes, his progressions and footwork are rushed.

Jackson is really talented and he reminds me of Mike Vick in all the best ways. I think in another weaker qb draft, he might be a top 5 pick. I worry about when he plays a team that can stay committed to their pass rushing lanes (see how this stopped Tyrod Taylor in the TNF game earlier this year). I also worry about ball placement and ability to stay healthy, considering his playing style.

If he is there in the 2nd round, and we went with someone like Alex Smith or Bridgewater in FA, I'd take Jackson in a heartbeat. I'd also prefer Jackson to Mayfield, any day.

almbleamal likes this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it didn't escape me that the supposed "comparable" examples were not so comparable. Allen had really no time, while in several of Jackson's clips he had plenty. Not to mention when a guy is used to beat up he tends to bail sooner than a QB who trusts his line.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They both have been beaten up this season. Watch the NC State game. However, the question is who do you take when the line does break down? Allen can get the ball down the field (actually both can) ... but Lamar has Vick and some Wilson in his game as well.

4. 101GangGreen101

Lamar Jackson has declared for the draft.

Mac, do your HWK on this guy.

westiedog1 and Walt White like this.
  5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Jackson is very underrated where Darnold is very overrated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. 101GangGreen101

Darnold is overrated no doubt, I would still take him given I have a plan for him to sit. Jackson, a lot of people didn't watch this guy play this year. Hopefully he's in the gym right now doing endless reps on his footwork.

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It’s weird how he stands so straight in the pocket. He’s gonna have to get a little wider base and put a little more weight on the knees.

legler82 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

It absolutely affects his accuracy. He's a very effortless thrower, but his lower base at times is all wrong sometimes, and not pointed towards the target, I would say it's sometimes in the opposite direction as weird as that sounds. This requires a wider base in terms of footwork, it needs to be revamped cause his passes tend to sail.

I think that is coachable for sure, but if he can fix it, Lamar will be very dangerous in the pocket.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

His stance is very Michael Vick-ish before Andy Reid got his hands on him. His stance and footwork got a lot better in Philly; it drastically improved his accuracy.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

I hope he gives Vick a call during the draft process. He would be an excellent example to learn from.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I really thought another year in school would be a positive for him. I hope for the kid I’m wrong.

I think people who love Darnold or Jackson over rate them both, but I think Darnold is far closer to being pro ready right now. Both need to sit at least for half a season. If the jets select either of them it would be wise to bring McCown or another mentor friendly type vet it.

101GangGreen101 and Walt White like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

Depends on the system you put them in, I think Jackson can do more early cause of his legs and ability to throw on the run. I don't think another year would've been good for him because that offensive line in trash over in Louisville.

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The line being trash is fair, it really was.

Jackson I think is a bad fit here running a WCO that’s more about short timing throws than an an erhardt-Perkins would be a more idea fit for him. He really needs an OC that can tailor to his skill set. Buffalo would be a good choice but I don’t see them taking a better version of Tyrod.

Jackson is a better athlete early, but I believe Darnold is closer in terms of mechanics and reading a defense. I think both are a bit too raw right now. One way or the other it’s going to be a fun draft season and 2018 year to watch

14. 101GangGreen101

I don't think Morton runs a true WCO, as he's worked with Colin Kaepernick in the past and I am sure that influences his playbook. I think Morton could adapt to Lamar's skill-sets. Bootlets, playactions, quick out-routes are specific concepts you can throw out there. Those passes to fullbacks and halfbacks, that is something that fits his skill-set. The slant isn't his strength right now, but he can get Robby the ball down the field with his strong arm which is required in this offense. I don't think the knowledge of the route tree is an issue for Lamar.

Darnold right now, you have to question his deep ball accuracy. Lamar has shown the better ball placement on downfield throws this year. Both Lamar and Darnold need to get better at reading defenses that's for sure, but you don't see the backbreaking mistakes Darnold makes with Jackson outside of the distratious bowl game. Both have mechanical issues too, but much different ones. Darnold, upper body mechanics, while Jackson has questions on his lower body mechanics. That said both have great potential would like either. Rosen too. I am cold on Mayfield.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Rosen’s biggest flaws right now are injuries and attitude. One he can change but the other is a huge red flag for me. As someone who’s suffered multiple concussions it’s a big flaw at the nfl level.

Mayfield, it’s perhaps the most difficult guy for me to get a feel on. His track record is impressive. Several years as a starter, great completion numbers, success against big time opponents. That said his attitude leaves a lot to be desired and his arm strength is best described as mediocre. That combined with a big wind up is concerning.

It’s a very interesting QB class that I’m sure is all over the place both nfl scout wise as well as amateur scout wise. Chances 3 or 4 of the 5 flame out badly.

16. 101GangGreen101

The injury / attitude concerns bother me too, and taking him high is a risk due to those factors. He is however the most talented passer out of the group. At 6, I think you take a shot on him. You can't take Jackson or a Mayfield over Rosen.

Mayfield has been through a lot of adversity and competition for that I give him credit. I don't like him in NY with these weather conditions because he doesn't exhibit the arm strength or the anticipation in terms of his throws. He's a gamer and I give him that, but sometimes it takes more. In NY, it will take more. He best suits in a dome and good weather just like Watson. Watson, people say the Jets made a mistake, but we don't really know that yet. I think Mayfield should be drafted by the Saints, that would be an absolute fit for him.

I hope the Jets don't make their decision based off the combine though, the tape is everything.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The tape is everything I agree. That hurts your guy to a point. Jackson has a lot more good tape on his legs than his arm. His arm can do it in this weather, but can he sync up that strength with the need to get the ball out quickly I question.

If Rosen is there at 6 I don’t think there is anyone of us that does not rush the card to the podium. He’s simply the best passer in the draft, injury and attitude aside.

After him it’s a pick your poison. Jackson, Allen, Darnold, mayfield, we all have them at different grades and rightfully so. We could see 5 QBs in round one this year, but some may not belong their long term.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

Jackson you can argue has the quickest release out of anyone in this draft. The tape was important because you can see Lamar run an NFL style offense with a lack of support. He exhibits the ability to go through reads, and manipulate the defense with his eyes. Still more to improve on, but it's there. It's not like RG3, who didn't know the pro style. Even Vince Young. Yeah, his legs are shown a lot more as well, but that's just another dimension that makes Lamar a good prospect. He still shows the ability to make the throws on the field.

Some definitely will show they don't belong, it will be interesting to see who. Who has the best work ethic?

19. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed, plus he's from USC...not exactly known for successful NFL QB's.

20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

There are a handful of really impressive throws in here.

Hard to believe a guy who can make those throws is also gonna run like a 4.4.