Which Players Make Up Our "Young Core"?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Jan 3, 2018.

1. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

There's 1 maybe 2 possible future Pro-Bowlers on that last. Macc is going to have improve his drafting if he is too survive the axe.

2. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

The happy talk from the GM about the young core is bullshit. To win 5 games, the HC relied heavily on a 39yo QB and two past their prime RB's Forte (32yo) Powell (29yo). Kearse and Kerley were the main WR's to start the season and Kerley is likely done with his career. Kearse is a good #3 WR. The OL is mediocre and while Beachum and Carpenter had good years, both are 28, not exactly up and comers. Schell and Johnson looked lost at times and an upgrade at those positions is necessary.

The only young guy on offense that is up and coming is Anderson. Guys like ASJ and McGuire are JAGS.

So maybe he is talking about the defense? Any of those top 10 draft picks make the pro bowl?

3. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This is a really good point and an objective one. Congratulations

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i don't think people understand that a young core is supposed to GROW. you cannot evaluate them on what they are right now.

williams made a pro-bowl at 22 years old and is much better than people realize. it is borderline impossible to put up huge stats as an interior lineman that is doubled team every play due to lack of edge rushers. he's a great piece moving forward. adams has a chance to be an all-pro going into the future, it is genuinely unfathomable that people cannot be excited about that piece moving forward. maye also has pro-bowl potential, but absolutely seems to be a high-end starter for the majority of his career. lee has also shown some great flashes as of late (albeit still far off) and jenkins is a solid starter on a team. if these players continue to improve, that is a FANTASTIC young defensive core. not every player is going to be a pro-bowler

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

What a shit Core,Our Roster is complete trash....smoke and mirrors have made us look competitive at times.

playtowinthegame and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. PulseJet

Yes, the young core is supposed to GROW. But the young QB's certainly werent given that chance. The young WR's werent given that chance either. The fanbase and most on this board wants both young QB's jettisoned. They are 26 and 22 years old. They both work hard and have good character. The guy that at least seen the field this year was mediocre at best but he didnt embarass himself either. He didnt throw away games or make foolish decisions with the ball. He was inaccurate at times and people are killing him for it. But nobody mentions Petty was being compared to Brees, Rivers and Brady. And in that last game and under the same poor conditions Petty had better completion numbers and yardage than the GOAT Brady.

Alot of people have patience for Mac and Bowles, where is the patience for the young QB's? Mac is going to throw at least one of them over to save his skin. Likely both of them. The consensus is the Jets will re-sign McCown, and whomever they draft will be given a redshirt year. Which he will need because most of the 1st round prospects with the exception of Rosen need to be trained for a while anyway. Frankly I dont see a whole lot of difference between Petty, Hack, Allen, Darnold or Mayfield. They are all question marks.

After 3 years, the Jets dont have the main pieces you need to make a run. They have no QB, they dont have a pass rush. They dont have a dominant OL. No shutdown corner. Other than Anderson they dont have true young gamechanging weapons at RB, TE or WR. They are a middle of the road team. But they have money to burn so everyone thinks the future is bright. But to me they have made NO progress since they got here and we seen how they wasted money and the chance to build the team in 2015.

Ive been a proponent of Mac since the beginning, but no longer. Unlike the young QB's, Mac and Bowles are getting another chance. But they dont deserve it.

#26 PulseJet, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

petty stinks bud, i don't know what else to tell you

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The problem is that Mac spent the first two years of his regime trying to "win now" with a predominantly veteran laden team. Of course, because we blew the Buffalo game in December of 2015 and Fitz/the secondary shit the bed in 2016, we didn't even get the fun playoff run from this tactic that we should have.

It's an interesting question, though. I'd be comfortable stating that our "young core" consists of: Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa, Marcus Maye, Jamal Adams, and Leonard Williams. Additional debatable guys would include: Jordan Jenkins, Darron Lee, Elijah McGuire, ASJ, and Bilal Powell. I'm sorry to say, it's not overly impressive.

9. PulseJet

Today he does. Maybe he is better in year 2 of a WCO system. McCown took 11 years to show something in this league. His first good year was with Chicago when he was 34 years old. NFL QB is the hardest position in all of sports to master.

In frigid windy conditions, Petty had better completion and yardage than the GOAT. And he had no run game and garbage play calls that lead to multiple third and longs. How many 1st and 2nd down draws to Powell did we see?

He needs to improve his accuracy and he needs to get the ball in the endzone. But for the record, I am with CMAN on this. Petty blew his chance with the Jets and if you dont take advantage of chances given, tough shit.

I just find it hypocritical to keep extending Mac and Bowles the benefit of the doubt while flushing Petty and Hack.

10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Our team isn't nearly as bad as you guys make it seem. It's just both units are lacking the most important pieces(QB and EDGE) actually all three units since we lack a dynamic returner though I think Whitehead is our guy going forward.

11. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Well one team has to have the worst core and the worst future, it seems we are that team, it's better for us to accept it then to fool ourselves into thinking role players are key pieces.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Davis should be brought back since he seems to have improved greatly since his last stint with the Jets. I didn't include Claiborne because he is too injury prone for me to give a long term contract to.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Colts, Browns, Dolphins, 49ers, Bears, Redskins, etc...

Also, role players? Every player is a role player.

Get a QB, get an EDGE and it transforms this team.

14. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Once cousins leaves the redskins they will be comparable to our misery yes. Colts have Luck, id take an injured Andrew luck over this entire team. Browns have the 1st and 4th pick plus a similar young defense to our own, I'll take their future please. Dolphins hmm they have an good WR core but a very mediocre QB situation, I hate them so I'm inclined to agree with you that they are shit. 49ers... no no no I would take jimmy G over this whole team, plus they have a good coach. Bears... hmmm I like their oline and trubisky at least gives them a glimmer of hope, although I'm not his biggest fan, they also get a new coach and get out from the archaic fox system.

If the jets grab one of the top 4 QB's in this draft they will be elevated above many of the teams you mentioned. Fair point on the redskins and dolphins though.

15. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The Jets won 5 games because Josh McCown had a career year at age 39. All this talk about building a young core is hogwash.

The core or a football team is QB, LT, Edge Rusher, and #1 CB. Those our the four most important posiions in football and the Jets have holes at all four.

These guys are back because they were able to win as many games as in 2016 with a much cheaper roster. Again, thanks to Josh McCown.

16. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

LOL, no shit, but you can't give a guy more than a few years (let alone 11) to "show something," especially when he's a 4th round pick.

17. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Defense:

Jamal Adams.
    Marcus Maye.
    Leonard Williams.
    Jordan Jenkins, to an extent, basically for running down purposes only.
    I guess you could say Darron Lee, but I just can't. We'll see in Year 3 though.

Offense:

Robbie Anderson.
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins, to an extent.
    Brandon Shell, maybe, if he can stay healthy and improve in Year 3.

Not sure who else at this point. Everyone else in my eyes is a JAG or won't be here in 2 years. They have a lot of work to do, even the majority of these guys (outside of Adams, Maye and maybe Anderson) are not truly impact players to build around.

18. PulseJet

Agreed. Tell you what though if the Jets draft a QB in the first round I’d rather they keep Petty as the bridge QB than resign McCown. Bowles won’t pull McCown unless he is injured and it will be last season all over again.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. I think a "Young core" can be pieced together w. our current roster. Sure there are some starters in the fold,solid performers,role players & the like...

But "Young core" doesn't consider for IMPACT players at IMPACT positions. We have zero..count em ZERO of those.

PulseJet likes this.
  20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

So the teams you'd take have Quarterbacks. LOL thanks for proving my point.