Saquon Barkley at #6 + FA QB in 2018?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 2, 2018.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

But the Bears didn't have the option to go after a Kirk Cousins, or have $100mil in cap space.

Barkley is a higher rated prospect than even Zeke was, so do we miss out on our own Zeke potentially and the rest of this drafts high picks for a hope that this QB we draft is AS good as Cousins?
    In what universe does that make sense.

Direct NFL comparison. Lets say one of these QBs turn out to be as good as Mattew Stafford. Very high level just below that Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Wilson, tier. And Barkley is what he is projected to be, Zeke or better.

So you're telling me you would rather have Mattew Stafford on this Jets roster this year rather than Kirk Cousins, Ezekiel Elliott, and the full compliment of 2018 draft picks (that would be traded to move up)???

dogg likes this.
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

If for whatever reason the Jets (aka Cousins) are not drafting a QB Barkley is tempting but the thing I'd like to see them get is some Julio Jones/AJGreen/Calvin Johnson level WR. Some absolute animal that changes the entire defensive game plan just by showing up, can rip passes away from double coverage, and take pressure off/open up the Robby Andersons and Kearses of the world.

I think our RB group is at worst adequate and probably more than adequate but we need a dynamic receiver imho. I remember what a difference Santonio Holmes could make and he was even a tick below that level.

Of course I have no idea if any of these two or three top wideouts this year are really that much of a difference maker but if they are, and the Jets go with Cousins or god forbid some other FA I hope they go in that direction. I'd put either top shelf WR or dynamic pass rusher ahead of Barkley on my personal xmas list.

3. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

No the ideal move for me is cousins and Barkley, if we don't get cousins we need a QB and I wouldn't mind trading up...

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Since the RGIII trade the Redskins have won 41 games and the Rams have won 42. Hardly much of a difference in the loss of picks and influx of picks between the two.

If you believe in a player trade up to get him. Better to fail trying than fail trying to avoid not a mistake.

5. Yes I’d take the franchise QB over all of the above No hesitation.

Neither Zeke nor Cousins has accomplished anything in this league.One commands an extremely high price tag that doesn’t match his level of play before we even get to his age,the other is a physical style back at a injury prone position who just may be a complete loose cannon off the field.

Stafford is a damn good QB.While there have been no championships he has made their shield drastically more respectable than where they were at before his arrival.In fact his team should trade up for Barkley..they haven’t had a running game for even longer than Stafford’s tenure..literally not since Barry!!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. DarrelleRevis.Human?

I'm not ok with any of these names. I'm ok with Kirk Cousins.

This is a very rare and unique situation, to have a team so poorly mismanage their QB that they allow such a quality player to become a FA. It's unheard of. I think it would be criminally negligent not to pursue Cousins beyond all reasonable means.

Leicester Jet, FJF and Walt White like this.
  7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I’m not convinced Barkley will even be there at 6 but I’d definitley sign up for it

Most playoff teams this season had a stud RB(s)

Gurley, Hunt, Fournette, Bell, Kamara and Ingram, Freeman and Coleman, Panthers adding McCaffery, McCoy in Buffalo, Even the Titans Eagles and Vikings had very good run games

The Patriots are the only exception but even Dion Lewis has been playing great the 2nd half of the season

Taking a QB early is definitley intriguing but if we’re being honest it’s a huge crapshoot

Cousins/Barkley makes us playoff contenders instantly with 2 more 2nd round picks and a bunch more FA money to spend

dogg, Leicester Jet, FJF and 4 others like this.
  8. If Saquon really is as big a jets fan as stated on here,his opinion would be fascinating on the notion of the team taking (He) a running back or one of the top QBs.You wanna talk about mixed emotions..

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  9. DarrelleRevis.Human?

9/10 it's the team around the QB that makes them championship caliber. Brees, Rodgers, Brady, P. Manning, are the exception but are also generational talent, 1st ballot HOFers.

Two amazingly good QBs who have accomplished high grades at their position and little else, Mattew Stafford and Andrew Luck. They've had the QBs through their entire rookie contracts and now going into an extension but those teams haven't had great success.

I'll take the more complete team.

10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

If we miss out on Cousins I would also be ok with moving up a spot or two strategically managing the amount of draft stock given, I would not be ok selling the farm for #1 or 2.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  11. Yes. A FQB is just a start. Building a complete roster especially w. cohesion & depth is crucial. We are on the same page there.The Lions have not done a good job building a team around Stafford outside of Calvin Johnson. The Colts have failed miserably at keeping Luck upright or done anything about their soft D.

However it's the modern teams that can seemingly pass at will in clutch situations & against top opponents that have ultimate success in this league. A FQB is the focal piece of a modern offense. Beyond that no team is really going to let a QB hit the open market unless the relationship is insanely soured which in most cases means the coach/GM is gone before they are,they're injured, or theyre not truly a franchise QB.

It's all about finding a QB in the draft. Now in my opinion this is uncharted territory..history need not apply beyond 2008ish,There are so many teams desperate for a consistent elite passer due to the offensive friendly rules & they're at the mercy of the supply garnered by a given draft year. So much so that really any QB w. the ceiling of say a starter within in a given team's grading system is almost a lock to go Round 1 & a spare few in round 2. We're seeing this effect become more drastic & acute year by year.Teams are now forced to trade up to "QB portals" or to teams w. high picks who don't need a QB. It's become the new price tag for any legit shot at a starting level QB.If you want a QB..you're gonna need to trade up. It's that simple.

Whether it's an all time great QB class can be debated..but there are quite a few young prospects this year who have the upside to be true franchise QBs;Not just starters. Perhaps none of them are sure things...but nothing in the draft is a sure thing.Just as no free agent signing on field return is certain.We're in an advantageous spot in the draft order to make a move at reasonable terms if the right guy is there at the right spot.

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

A stud WR is great, but you need a good to great QB to get him the ball through the air, whereas you can get the ball into a stud RB's hands either by direct handoff or pass - in other words, the RB gets far more chances to impact a game.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 1 Mill

Nobody here gets what you, myself and maybe 4 other posters know for sure.."trading up is a prerequisite for a good QB" that's just the way it is..and the only opportunity to get your guy

Most posters on TGG are too conservative or scared ...so it "safer" to get a retread QB like Cousins..who just looked awful last Sunday!!! Someone said "well that's just one game" Are they kidding?? He lost a Wild Card game in 2015 and went 6-10 I think..Didn't beat ANY good teams this year

I am sick of posters making the assumption that Cousins will be another Brett Favre a true SB winner..no comparison ..sorry

The Draft is crucial and Mac needs to walk away with one of the big 4: Rosen Darnold Mayfield Allen...get it done or I am done here for sure

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty confident if you give Kirk Cousins a Julio Jones or AJ Green he'll figure out what to do :)

And I also agree about the RB getting more chances and I also concede that Barkley may well be the most impactful offensive weapon in this draft. I'm not a professional college talent evaluator. But the Jets are..... god help us all... and if they sign Cousins, don't need a QB in the draft and think that Courtland Sutton, St. Brown, or whoever is on that level I'd personally prefer they go that direction. I think McGuire, Powell and maybe add one more guy if Forte isn't coming back is more than adequate to do some damage on the ground. I think offensive line and receivers however could stand an infusion of new talent.

James Hasty likes this.
  15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Washingtons team is atrocious, Cousins can only do so much. They beat the Rams and Seahawks on the road this year. They should've beaten the Vikings and Saints as well. They scored 30 vs the Vikings and 31 vs the Saints.

If the Redskins didnt luck into Cousins, they'd be feeling the effects of whiffing on RG3 still.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Please teach us your ways!!

17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The thing in when talking about the more complete team, just about the lease important position on the field in today’s NFL is running back.

Give me one of the few stud o line man over Barkley.
    Look where KC got Hunt.
    There are other real good backs in this draft.

18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

We're on the same page about the need for a FQB, we only differ on the way to acquire one and the amount of acceptable risk associated with that process. The other key component is the amount and type of resources needed to facilitate each move.

The current Jets team is a few pieces away from being a serious contender with any team in the league. Right now the team is young and there's plenty of cap to strategically spend on areas of need such as pass rush, QB, T, CB. Thus allowing us to retain our draft picks and go BPA to further develop the core of this young team. The 2017 Jets could just have easily won 10 games as it could have 5. With a few FA pieces we can, should, and will be a 10 win team.

The flip side is trading into position to get one of the top two QB prospects. I'd say add 2 of our 2nd round picks and another 1st to what Chicago gave in 2017 will be about right to move up 3-4 spots.

Contracts can be manipulated, players can be cut to regain cap space. But once draft picks are given away they're gone forever. If this last scenario happens our 2018 draft will be nonexistent and possibly our 1st rounder for next year.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Concussion issues, not well liked by teammates, might not be into football for the right reasons, and has a propensity to take unnecessary and distracting socio/political stances.

No I would probably not draft and certainly would not consider trading up.
    I think he will have a Cutler affect on a team, without the career longevity.
    Not worth it.

Pepsiguy5 and Leicester Jet like this.
  20. DarrelleRevis.Human?

The Rams probably have the same record as the Jets in 2017 withought Gurley. Dak Prescott went from looking lime a top 10 talent ascending talent and the moment Zeke went down he turned into a JAG, and that's with a great O-line and a very competent back in Morris replacing him. Do you think the Jags could've made it to the playoffs on Bortles arm? Look at what Alvin Kamara did for the Saints, that looks like a completely different team.

The point is that these guys at RB are huge difference makers alone, but they bolster strengths and cover up weaknesses as well.

#180 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    dogg, ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.