Lamar Jackson 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Sep 3, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I view it the same exact way, the more QBs that come out the better it is for us. I hope Darnold comes out. Its all about who fits your offense, can you tailor that offense and can you build that QB to become your franchise guy

Boomboom and Walt White like this.
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're prolly right. I've been thinking the same thing, and which guy we like in that respect. The other teams are no doubt considering that too, outside of a Blue Chip can't miss guy that doesn't seem to be in this class.

3. 101GangGreen101

There isn't a 'can't miss guy' no doubt about it ... its a very talented crop though, I think the most talented since 2004. The senior bowl is going to be so good. To me, it's going to be the most excited Senior Bowl ever. Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield just to name a few. Be on the lookout for Kurt Benkert

Walt White likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He does not appear to go through progressions often. I've seen a lot of him taking off and running if his first read is not there.

For a guy that throws a ton of passes at or behind the line of scrimmage his completion % is low. In every loss it was around or below 50% and just a shade under 60% for the season. For the most part QB's who are not getting above 60% in the NCAA do not suddenly become accurate passers once they hit the NFL.

He takes very few snaps under center, and while he has a very good deep ball, his short to medium passing game is atrocious. I don't see him as the type of guy that can play year one because he needs a ton of work in both on the mechanical side and the metal side of the pro game as a QB. Add into it we currently run a WCO that is build around short passes with tight windows that require highly accurate throws and he's not a good fit for the Jets. He has upside, but I see him as a player that makes as many plays with his feet as his arm.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

A lot of those runs are designed runs. He does go through his progression very often and is patient in the pocket. I provided to 2 scouting videos on this thread that show this. He doesn't throw a ton of passes behind the line of scrimmage. He averages over 8 yards per attempt and has done so throughout his career even when he wasn't as accurate. If you watch the North Carolina game for example, you can see he is very accurate on short passes, however he is inconsistent due to his lower body mechanics. Does that make him atrocious? Absolutely not.

If the 1 thing I need to fix in a QB is their lower body mechanics, I think I have a great shot to get a good QB out of it. In terms of the mental side of the ball, I am sorry but you are 110% incorrect. The guy is mentally ready for the next level. He was taught the pro offense, but an NFL caliber coach. He does more at the LOS then Baker Mayfield. He runs a pro / spread offense. He also goes through reads and shows good patience in the pocket.

I encourage you to check-out some of the videos I posted in this thread, a lot of these notions you are mentioning are untrue.

7. 101GangGreen101

Yeah, I need to finish this video, I saw about the first 20 mins. The person in the video will talk about his footwork, and you will see it needs a lot of clean-up. He doesn't really reset his feet, and his body posture is bad. These can be cleaned up. Lamar has very good pocket presence, but his lower body mechanics really need work. If you can fix that, you will increase the accuracy of his throws. The feet are just positioned so awkwardly along with his hips. Brady does this better than anyone.

I believe he can be a franchise QB, but we won't take him.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I don't watch a lot of scouting Vids as I tend to prefer full game video. Scouting videos that break things down as they tend to select plays that showcase what they want to. It could be that I've only seen him in bad games because I tend to only watch big match-ups so I get to see players against top competition. There is no doubt he has arm strength and elite athleticism, I have not seen the mechanics that will make him successful in a pro style game, not even close and I do not see his running style allowing him to last long at the next level. He needs a lot of work to be a pocket passer.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

Scouting videos = draftbreakdown.com videos. Apologies as I didn't bring that up correctly. I watch the games as well, but watching those videos allows me to rewatch some of the same plays.

The lower body mechanics needs revamping, but I am very encouraged by his progress from year to year. I think he has the quickest release of the draft. 2nd strongest arm behind Josh Allen. Some of the games, I feel bad for Lamar because you know there's only going to be 2 guys that show up for Louisville. Lamar Jackson and his receiver Jaylen Smith.

Lower body mechanics is coachable, not like Hack at all ... this is a fair assumption, but his throwing motion and IQ are fine.

10. legler82

I love the poise in the pocket but I can't be onboard with a QB prospect whose footwork is that bad. Actually, I don't know if I can call it bad since it's really nonexistent. When you combine that with the accuracy issues, he's a no go for me. When I watch him, I can't shake the feeling that I'm watching a WR playing QB, at a very high level but WR nonetheless. Bridgewater had very good footwork; did Louisville change their offensive coaching staff since he left?

#170 legler82, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  11. 101GangGreen101

Yeah, they went from Charlie Strong to the current staff now. Do you think Terrelle Pryor had similar pocket presence or QBin skills? How hard do you believe it is to fix a player's footwork? I mean Bridgewater and Goff similarly had some of the best footwork I've seen in a prospect.

12. legler82

Pryor actually had better footwork, go figure; but Jackson is the more poised and better QB overall. Jackson is just a great talent regardless of position. To be fair to Pryor was and is a great talent as well, OSU just never really gave him the opportunity to play the position the way it's meant to be played. I don't know if it was because he couldn't, they wouldn't or a combination of both; either way it stunted his development as a true QB. Instead, he was just a glorified Wildcat QB primed to be converted to WR. Lamar doesn't have that problem. Louisville has allowed Jackson to actually play QB to point some see him as being able to be a successful NFL QB. I'm not there yet. Word on the streets is that he is thinking about returning to school. Maybe he makes that big jump that Dak Prescott made between his junior and senior year. It's certainly possible as Jackson has improved every year. I didn't think Prescott was a NFL QB prior to his senior year.

#172 legler82, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    almbleamal and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

I agree about Pryor, he did come from a totally different offense. I just saw the rumor he might return to school. Darnold too.

Well crap, I hope Lamar knows what he's doing. That offensive line gave him no favors. If he can brush up on that footwork, the questions will be less and less.

Man, we aren't getting any of these QBs lmao

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, so much for "Wait until 2018! That's going to be the best QB class ever! Don't waste a pick on Mahomes or Watson!"

"A bird in hand..."

15. 101GangGreen101

Darnold just declared so lets hope that was FAKE NEWS

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I still think Mahomes and Watson are better than anyone in this draft with the possible exception of Rosen, but yeah, the more QBs come out the better.

17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I would have put a lot of money on Winston and Mariota being better NFL QBs than Goff and Wentz.

stinkyB and Red Menace like this.
  18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

One could argue that Lamar Jackson is going to be a star in the NFL regardless of where they line him up. He will almost always be the most dynamic, athletic guy on the field. I think his talent translates at the next level somehow.

19. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I agree I think you take him as a QB and if he doesn't pan out at least he isn't a total bust because he can probably play WR

JetsNation06 likes this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think that would be his best bet. He has shown improvement every year and if he continues to show that along with more experience as a starter would be helpful to him. I don’t see him as even one of the top 4 qb’s in this draft so another year in school could really help both his development and draft stock.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.