Who had the better Year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ptflea2, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I think we all knew this year was going to be rough.......and it was. However, regardless of the overall outcome, I was most excited to see how our rookie safeties would do. 2016 was brutal seeing our secondary get shredded every game.

Mac selecting 2 safeties back to back was indeed controversial on TGG, but trying to keep that out of the equation and the expectations of a 6th overall vs. second rounder, who ACTUALLY had the better year, Adams or Maye?

I know it might not be comparing apples to apples since they don't necessarily play the same spot, but overall, who fared better?

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If you look up their stats as defensive backs both are remarkably similar..big whoop

We got some toys for Shoddy Toddy to play with..to me a big waste

Their were QBs like Mahomes to grab.last year..nice job Mac and Chit

3. Ptflea2

Ironically, Adams biggest hit this year was on Maye's chin last week

4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Cant wait for 2020 when Adams has 0 career interceptions and we are all still saying that "he plays better then his stats indicate"

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

comparable years, both very encouraging.
    I'd give a slight edge to Maye.

One thing I will give Adams though, is he handled a ton of different positional responsibilities which is not easy for a rook.
    He played in the box, he played the deep field, cover 2, matched on TE's, even slot CB.
    Had some occasional gaffes in coverage and not much in the way of causing turnovers, but I'd expect that to improve with experience.
    The more important takeaway is that Adams can be utilized in a variety of roles, and that versatility is key considering where he was selected.

I expect both guys will play a huge part in our defense going forward.

hwismer, Peebag, Pepsiguy5 and 3 others like this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I would give the edge to Adams.
    He did lead the team in drive ending tackles. More than doubling Mays.
    Other stats were comparable.

7. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Adams also gets the slight edge in mistackles and dropped INTs.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Don't care too much about stats ... I give the edge to Maye ... a lot of TEs schooled Adams this year. Not to knock Adams, Adams is going to be a great player, but his role on the team leaves much to be desired. You don't want to see him playing linebacker all of the time. He needs to get better at covering TEs. I saw this guy lock Evan Engram up in college.

ColoradoContrails and Jets69 like this.
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Adams underwhelmed for a Top 6 pick. Didn't play bad but didn't play great either. Maye did much better than I expected for a 2nd rounder.

10. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

For me Maye was the better player. Now, that is certainly no knock on Adams, I thought he played very well also. However, to me Maye had the more flashy plays. I look for much more from Adams in his sophomore season........

11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I think of all the qbs we missed on Mahomes will be the one that got away. I think Watson is going to be a good player but like RG3 after his first seaon once you get tape on these guys defenses can play to their strengths and the qbs get exposed. From the little I've seens from Mahomes I think he has everything you want in a qb. Be a few more years before we can really say but Adams over Mahomes might hurt.

12. Ptflea2

interesting. Didn't realize there was a stat for drive ending tackles. Makes since though.....
    I'd still give the nod to Maye. Hell, he TRIPLED the amount of turnovers Adams had with two picks and a forced fumble.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that will be impossible. Adams playing safety for 2 more years without an interception would be an impossibility. I would bet my homestead you are dead wrong on that.

interceptions are an overrated way of evaluating a safety anyway. Erik McMillan had 14 interceptions his 1st two seasons and he sucked.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  14. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Maye was the better of the two very talented and good S's.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I prefer the guy who keeps his mouth shut.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

They are definitely an overrated stat, but I want my 6th overall safety to not have stone hands and to be more of a turnover machine then what Adams projects to be

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

They were both ok. About even. Adams had some bad missed tackles iirc but I'm sure he'll clean that up next year.

Hoping they both end up solid players. I think at WORST both will be average. At best good. Neither of them will ever approach Polamalu/Reed levels

In hindsight, I probably still draft Maye, but I pass on Adams and take either Lattimore or McCaffrey instead

6-10 once again likes this.
  18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Was about to say this. Adams sure yaps a lot, he better get better quick.

Maye had a solid rookie year.

19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I think with Adams he's trying to be a leader. You can tell he cares and works hard. And while he is vocal it's not in a bad way. I don't think he's one of those Romanowski/Owens/Shannon Sharpe trash talker types

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Mayes was better, and making it worse, taking Adams over Mahomes was a mistake. Macc could've had his Safety and his QB both. It's very troubling that he thought he had to take two safeties, and also that he had Adams rated to highly. Now it could well be that he's being misused and would show all the ability that everyone projected him to have if he was used properly, but this speaks to a lack of communication between Macc and Bowles, and that might be most troubling of all.

NYJetsO12 likes this.