Baker Mayfield Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 11, 2016.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

They start OT at the 25 yard line, and they have a pretty good FG kicker 18/21, so one sack wouldn't necessarily take them out of FG range. Nice try, but not a good enough reason not to let your Heisman Trophy QB, who topped most of the NCAA passing stats this season, try to win the game with his arm.

2. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Agree like I said just a guess .... nice pic of your dog

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Full disclosure. That's actually not my dog, but I had one just like it (he died in 2009). I couldn't get an image of my dog to load as my avatar, so I found a picture on the web which I was able to load.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Dude made a TON of money today.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  5. legler82

I came away more impressed with Oklahoma's offense and OC than I did Mayfield. For most of the game they seemed to have the perfect call for whatever Georgia was ready to throw at them.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mayfield was making a lot of those calls at the line though

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If that's true, that's really impressive. I didn't get to see the whole game - I did see most of the last qtr and OT - but I was more impressed with Mayfield's command of the game than his passing. He missed on a number of passes, although he did complete some nice ones. My impression is that his strength is more in his make up than his physical attributes.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and JetsNation06 like this.
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Baker is a gamer no doubt! Personally I don’t think he will be a good nfl qb. He reminds me too much of Johnny Manziel.

9. legler82

They run the Spread EVERYONE on offense looks to the sidelines before the snap for the play call. Mayfield did do, for the most part, a great job of executing those plays but he was not making any calls at the line. Georgia's true freshman QB Jake Fromm probably made more calls at the LOS in that bowl game than Mayfield made all season.

10. BrowningNagle

No, the Georgia Freshman wasn't making any calls at the line at all.

What you say about Mayfield is only partially true. And you are kidding yourself if you watched him play last night or any game really this year and didn't recognize things like the following scenario:

The previous play goes out of bounds and they run up to the line quickly in that spread offense. They look to the sideline and the call is "bearcat," a hitch pass to the split end at right. As they are lining up, Mayfield sends the slot right receiver in motion outside. Prior to the game they discussed how if the safety follows the motion man out, there might be room for quick pitches off tackle. So Mayfield recognizes this, he looks back at this running back "we're going TIGER" - the quick pitch. They snap it, he pitches it to the running back, he runs about 5 yards before contact, then breaks a tackle and gets 10 yards for the first down. Then they quickly run to the line and its a similar thing in the next play all in the 8 seconds they take to snap it.
    --
    ^^that's why they are so hard to defend!

now, you can give credit to the coaches for designing the plays and that offense, sure. You can give them credit for sometime in the thousands of scenarios they ran through, telling Mayfield to watch that safety as his receiver goes in motion, sure. That running back deserves credit too - he broke the tackle there that got the first down, Anderson is an excellent back. Lots of talent on that roster and that offense is a finely tuned machine.- - BUT they aren't doing things at the line like I laid out without a smart, experienced, professional QB making those quick decisions. They just aren't.

--

I get it. I'm torn on Mayfield too. He's tough to get a bead on. There are times when he looks dynamite and other things bring lots of questions. But lets give credit where its due, when its due. He does things that other college QBs don't do - and the quick scenario I outlined is one of them

NYJetsO12 and JetsNation06 like this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It will be criminal if Mac doesn’t select a RB in this draft, class is loaded.

NCJetsfan and JetFanInPA like this.
  12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't classify a guy like Cousins in the same class of retreads as Brunnell, Fitzpatrick and McCown. I think the Brees 'retread' has worked out pretty well for New Orleans. And while I agree that drafting and developing your own FQB is the way to sustained success, I am not sure that this fanbase has the patience to properly develop that guy...

13. legler82

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...michel-td-run-georgia-oklahoma-rose-bowl-2018

Watch Jake Fromm and Sony Michel adjust the playcall to score a TD on Oklahoma

Fromm checked into a new play when it was clear Oklahoma couldn’t stop it.
    By Alex Kirshner@alex_kirshner Jan 1, 2018, 8:02pm EST

In the last minute of the third quarter at Monday’s Rose Bowl Playoff semifinal, Georgia running back Sony Michel tied up Oklahoma with a 38-yard touchdown sprint.

It was Michel’s speed that made the play work, but it was his quarterback’s vision that made it possible in the first place. Here’s the run, which came on a third-and-7:

[​IMG]
    Georgia’s four-star true freshman QB, Jake Fromm, checked into this play. By all appearances, UGA was set to do something other than hand the ball to Michel on an inside running path to his right. It might’ve been a passing play, an option read, or a Michel run to the left. But before the snap, Fromm had his running back change alignment, shifting from the QB’s right (signifying a run to the left) to his left.

[​IMG]
    Fromm made the call because Oklahoma’s defensive alignment favored an inside run to the right. The Sooners had exactly one defensive player in the box to the right of the center, and right tackle Andrew Thomas (No. 71) didn’t have a hard time sealing him off. So when Michel took off running, he had no one contending with him.

Oklahoma’s coaching staff should’ve made sure it had defenders positioned so Michel couldn’t take whatever yardage he wanted. But credit to Fromm for identifying a weak point in the defense, and credit to Michel for being fast as hell.

#293 legler82, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    JohnnyP123456 and Nesquik like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

sigh.... the georgia QB made one call at the line - maybe- according to some guy named Andrew Kirshner. okay.

legler says he made more calls at the line than Mayfield made all season though and ignores 97% of my rebuttal

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. legler82

And Baker Mayfield makes calls at the LOS according to some guy named @BrowningNagle. okay.

What was I suppose to say? You gave me a hypothetical scenario not a specific example of it happening in a game. I have no idea if any of that stuff is true. One thing I do know is that is that the offensive line would block a hitch pass differently then they would a quick pitch. So it would be incredibly odd to have that kind of change communicated only to the RB. You are almost inviting the pitch be busted up by penetration. Why would you ever do a quick pitch on a play where your tackle will be backing up preparing to pass block at the snap?

16. BrowningNagle

both plays get out really quickly and on the edge so in that scenario the offensive line differences are negligible. The specific play though wasn't really the point, although anyone who watched the game could see that happening, the point was to demonstrate that even though they run a spread they aren't your Auburns or Baylors of the world where the QB just goes with the one read gimmick play from the sideline only.

When you have a smart quarterback in the spread you can get a lot more sophisticated - as Okie has with Mayfield. To that end, he looks a lot more like Mariota at Oregon than Petty at Baylor, Geno Smith at WVU or Stidham at Auburn/Baylor, for example

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I hope the Giants do us a big favor and take Mayfield. I mean I like Mayfield, but there's just something about him I do not like ... perhaps it was the gimmick offense and the awful play calling, the Sooners didn't let Mayfield throw it more often, I mean you got a 6'5 TE in Mark Anderson. I think Georgia's D really put the fear into that Oklahoma offense. I don't think any QB did much good for their stock during this bowl season.

Anyway we can trade Darron Lee for Roquan Smith?

18. legler82

LOL you said you like and don't like him in the same sentence. About the play calling, he started the game hot but was off in the second half coincidentally or maybe not so once the passing windows got tighter. I think that's why they took the ball out of his hands a bit late. I thought the coaching staff called a great game though, especially early. When guys are busting WIDE open I credit scheme not QB play. They hung 40+ points on one of the top defenses in the SEC; that's impressive. Agree with you about the QBs during the bowl season, Rosen probably helped his stock the most by not playing.

19. BrowningNagle

Roquan Smith was incredible for sure. Amazing linebacker.

Oklahoma should've went for it on that 4th and 1 in the first overtime. You have an offense that got you all the way here, the CFB playoff, and put up 45 on the scoreboard already, you need 1 stinkin yard for a first down, and essentially the game as it would've gotten you a fresh set of downs inside the 15 when a touchdown wins it. And they play for the second overtime instead. That was dumb

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am lukewarm, I am VERY indecisive ... I am trying my best to like the kid. Players want to play for him, he's accurate on the run. Do I take a QB for the sake of taking one? Do I wait? I mean what if the Jets ONLY had a choice between Mayfield or Josh Allen? To be honest, I wouldn't be very happy with either, but you'd have to take 1 of them. I would probably take Mayfield. Gonna just hope for the best. I think he fits what Morton is trying to do. He can find the receiver, no doubt about it