It's Official. Jets have the 6th pick in the 2018 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Dec 31, 2017.

1. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Wow just wow....Yes by today’s standards ken O’Brian would be a good quarterback....But are you going to tell me you rather O’Brian over Marino??? A hall of fame player?? Oh by the way Marino had a poor Senior year that’s why he fell in the draft..... his junior year everyone had him on top of the board as the number one quarterback

abc likes this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don’t think the market is that big for Cousins so he will likely be available for relatively cheap. Washington isn’t bringing him back; they’ve paid him a boatload and haven’t won with him. Maybe Denver decides they’d want a veteran QB and he’s their choice over, say, Alex Smith. But how many other teams are in need of a QB with potential immediate impact?

I’m not saying the Jets should sign him, but he won’t be a bank breaker if they do. There will be several options for veteran QB’s o choose from, potentially including Alex Smith and Teddy Bridgewater.

If the Jets don’t think they can get the QB they are after in the draft, Cousins or Smith wouldn’t be terrible options.

But I don’t see us getting into the top two to take Rosen or Darnold. The X factor is which QB Denver may take ahead of us? Mayfield would be my choice but would Denver or Indy trade down to allow us to get him?

Cleveland isn’t trading out of number one other than to trade with the Giants if they want Rosen and the Browns prefer Darnold. There’s a reason the GM got fired but the coach is staying — the GM passed on multiple QB’s who have succeeded and didn’t give the coach anything to work with so how do you fairly evaluate Hue Jackson?

The Browns aren’t trading down too far, even with the 4th pick, and risking being second guessed missing out on one if the top two QB’s again.

The best we are going to be able to do is trade up to 3 or 4 (I doubt Denver trades out, or we can’t anticipate they will unless they sign Cousins or Smith ahead of the draft, when they need a QB as well) which leaves us with Mayfield at best or Allen.

The question is, is Mayfield or Allen a QB worth trading up for (because Darnold and Rosen will both be gone after the first two picks unless the Giants can’t get Rosen and don’t want Darnold)? If not, signing Cousins or Smith isn’t terrible and then seeing if Mayfield falls to 6.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Took 13 years to get a truly gloomy post out of you. :)

That's an amazing streak, well done.

Imagesrdecieving, Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

That chart has gone by the wayside because so much has changed since then. Most importantly the 1st round rookie contracts being much lower than previously. A team can take the chance on the player while not being on the hook for $76M, 1st round contracts are about 1/3rd of what they used to be.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They should limit the draft to 2 rounds at this point and have a free-for-all kick off the minute the draft is over.

That's a one night extravaganza with a bunch of sullen players dragged across the stage in chains while they imagine the riches their undrafted cohorts will get.

Would make for must-see TV...

Just watching the guys in the green room fake major injuries in their chairs would be great.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Dan Marino also liked to reefer too much for NFL scouts to ignore.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Sure because all of the free agents will pick us over Dallas, New England, and Green Bay.

8. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

What??? Ok brother what ever he sure clean up to have a hall of fame career though huh

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

QB. Curious and concerned about who they'll target

10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Monday morning quarterbacking is always great, but Hasty is 100% correct Marino’s weed use (and some hints of blow) was a factor in him slipping in the draft,

James Hasty likes this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Are you being sarcastic or has someone hijacked your account??

12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

My scenario was based on 88toon's assumption about the Jets trading up to the 3 spot and of course the first 2 picks are QB's. It is a long shot.

Why wouldn't Keenum not be available? Jets have the cash.

#192 BomberJet, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Looks like Giants committed to Manning for ‘18.

Walt White likes this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Still puts them in the Rosen Sweepstakes..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Here's my prediction for next year and beyond. The Mac & Bowles extensions become really just 1 year prove it deals so that they wouldn't be lame ducks next year. Based on that they will feel pressure to show "real" improvement next season or at the very least have a potential FQB on the roster. So a lot of that cap money will be spent to address every perceived hole on the roster sans QB. They will then either trade up with the Browns for the #1 overall pick bypass the Giants and draft Rosen or Cleveland drafts Rosen and we draft Allen then swap a la Manning and Rivers in 04 . Cleveland will do this because Rosen will let it be known he does not want to play for them and they secretly prefer Allen anyway but can't justify drafting him 1st overall to their fanbase. Mac who would also secretly prefers Allen reluctantly does this because he can not afford another boom or bust QB pick given probationary contract status. McCown starts the season and gives way to Rosen at some point. Rosen shows flashes before getting hurt for the rest of the season. During the off season Jets cleans house in the CS because Bowles continued to show off his incompetence. They bring in a offensive minded HC with a scheme that fits Rosen's skill set; Rosen is happy because he is was not a fan of the WCO. Rosen proceeds to have a very good career with some playoff appearances and even a Super Bowl (after Mac is let go) despite occasional injuries and PR blunders.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Anyone know what it would cost for the Jets to move up from #6 to #1 or #2 or even #3?

It's not that far of a jump if they really want one of these QB's.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well it isn't like my namesake was useless and that is the point, Marino was better but he still didn't win a "ring" and he still fell in the draft, so people obviously other than the Jets had major doubts about him, so it doesn't matter what reason he fell on lower than expected he still did, you are comparing possible 1-5 draft slots with him based on the fact you now know he turned out good, the same way we can say, wow Brady was a 6th rounder, Wilson was a 3rd rounder etc etc so how many teams failed to draft those quality players, all of them and some three+ times.

Your comment "I remember a guy we passed on his name was Dan Marino ever heard of him ?? " Like nobody would ever remember Marino btw was just something to try and smack the Jets with, christ it was 30+years ago, let it go.

Choosing O'Brien (with an e btw) over Marino is not like anything else in this draft, for one we are talking about taking a QB at 6 not at 27, if we could grab a QB at 27 that was like Dan Marino then I would be delighted.

So if we then passed on Darnald if he fell on draft day to 20+ then your comparison with Marino would be relevant.

I very much doubt there is anybody of that class in this draft anyway.

18. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

... then you don't give him "one seasoned vet."

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good analysis there...plus 1K

.Mac has to get assurance that if he trades up for Mayfield Allen or Rosen he can get it done..I am not in favor of a "wait and se who drops to us " approach

I am really hoping someone grabs Cousins/Smith in FA ..Cousins also has to hope his performance yesterday doesn't turn teams off..I already didn't like getting him even before that

If somehow we are able to get to 3 or 4 and draft Allen or Mayfield I would be very happy...prob not leave as a fan because of 49 years putting up with BS..who ever is analyzing these young QBs must hit it out of the park for us..target the BEST , 2nd BEST etc and go from there

20. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

What makes you soooo certain the jets want to draft a qb first. Bowels I'm sure loves Chubb and key