Sam Darnold 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

if Mayfield can make those same plays/throws in the NFL, he’s going to be a franchise qb.

nicg4360 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well saw Darnold play against his toughest completion to date...and I feel bad for him

The fumbles , the interception was it pick 6??? Well that is all on him

Of course I start making excuses for the kid e.g. Poor receiving corp poor OL but maybe he ain't all that for a Soph QB

The talent is there imo but so are the problems...and all the kids here have them

I've posted before I like SD but I have also said picking THE BEST QB for our team is more important

Baker Mayfield dissected the same OSU team...so again whoever is doing the evaluation for us has to be careful

Unfortunately for Sam his stock dropped a little after last night

Right now it's Rosen Allen Mayfield as the big three...Darnold may be behind M Rudolf at this point..oh well

NYJFOREVER and JetsNation06 like this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of either Mayfield or Darnold but it's fair to say the former's line did a much better of giving him time to throw overall than the latter. The Sooners had a better game plan of spreading the OSU defense out.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Darnold does come out - I think he doesn't - he needs to go to a team that is willing to develop him and mold their offense to his skill set. The Jets are NOT that team.

EDIT:

To put a finer point on it, if he comes to the Jets, as starved as we are for a FQB, the expectations are going to be way beyond his ability to deliver on them Year 1, and he won't get Year 2. He has a lot of raw ability, and a winner's mentality, but he's too raw to do well on this Jets team. We'll just see Bowles play whichever vet he has "Because he gives us the best chance to win", and Darnold will wither on the vine.

tbruner12 likes this.
  5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i look at this bowl season as a realization of how bad the pac 12 is and how poor pac 12 defenses were for the most part. darnold did not have a great year this year against that competition and his team won the league. i really really hope we dont draft him as i also think he will not be a great pro at this point.

tbruner12 likes this.
  6. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't see how anyone could watch last night's game and come away thinking Darnold's stock went down. The guy was a one-man team holding his own against a Top 5 team. His offensive line sucks. His receivers suck. I don't think there's anything above average about his running backs. There probably wasn't 5 pass plays the entire night where an Ohio State pass rusher didn't come through the line instantly because he was unblocked. Nobody is going to throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs under those circumstances - not Peyton Manning, not Dan Marino, not Tom Brady, not Joe Montana. He got destroyed the entire night.

And guess what? If he goes to the NFL and gets hit like that every play, he's not going to have any success in the NFL either. But what did you learn from last night's game about Darnold? Well ... (a) he throws very accurate passes in the face of pressure, (b) he's very talented at sidestepping the rush in the pocket while maintaining his attention downfield, (c) he's mobile enough to roll out on pass plays and flat-out run away from defensive linemen when the pocket collapses, (d) he maintained his composure and body language in the face of a horrendous beating. This is all stuff you can't teach and he has it in-full. And it's not like he only showed it this game; he's demonstrated it all season.

Darnold has as much potential to be a star in the NFL as any college QB I've seen since Peyton Manning. That includes Andrew Luck. Any team that bypasses him in this draft is foolish. Just flat out dumb. I'm convinced the Giants will draft him because unfortunately their ownership is not a bunch of morons. The Jets should trade everything they need to to try and get Cleveland's first pick so they can take him. Then spend the next two years worrying about nothing but building a pass blocking offensive line in front of him. If they finally want to win a Super Bowl, that is what they will do.

Of course, since this is the Jets, we all know they will take the 6th QB overall (in the 2nd round) instead, who they will never play, cut after three years, and who will be a career backup for the Rams or Titans. Meanwhile, the Giants will win a Super Bowl or two with Darnold.

Noam likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He might be the best QB prospect in terms of playing under pressure. Rosen doesn't do as well, and well Darnold has turned the ball over, however Darnold's team failed him last night.

8. legler82

I question the evaluation skills of anyone who came away from last night's game thinking Darnold played poorly.

joe likes this.
  9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

In fairness to Darnold he was under ridiculous pressure from OSU's D all night. That said he made some really bad throws in the 1st half and that last throw of the game was ugly. He probably won't come back if he's a guaranteed Top 5 pick but he needs some work to fine tune his game.

10. ColoradoContrails

From what I saw which was limited because I had other things to do, he looked overmatched, and that's how I think he'll be if he comes to the Jets. How would he perform if he was on this Jets team? I don't think he would do well here from what I saw.

tbruner12 likes this.
  11. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

No way.
    Ridiculous post defending this guy.
    He has a very long way to go before he will ever be in the class of QB's you mentioned.
    He shit his pants. Plain and simple.

Section 336 likes this.
  12. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

So turnovers mean nothing?
    So what his line sucks, so does McCowns. McCown didn't play in college this season, Darnold will have so many turnovers in the NFL it isn't funny. He will need an $80 million dollar O-line to succeed in the NFL. He got exposed.
    He made as many bad throws as he made good, he is by no means an elite talent. Long way to go.
    Anyone who questions that is a fan boy.

13. legler82

Turnovers mean a lot but they must be view in context, not just via the box score. On that INT the WR ran a lazy route as though he was not expected to be targeted. He did not cross the face of the defensive back on the shallow cross making the INT look a lot more egregious than it was. On the strip sack Darnold, showed poor ball security which is an established negative on him. On that play he also held the ball too long. This is uncharacteristic of Darnold as he does possess excellent pocket awareness. I attribute that to him trying to wait a second or two longer for a play to develop since they were down. These things happen. Last night wasn't some big "you see I told you he sucked" moment like some people on this thread are trying make it out to be. When evaluating prospects, QBs especially, you should be looking at the process and NOT the results. When you do the reverse, you end up drafting guys like Geno, Petty, Lynch...etc. Basically you would expect a Big 12 QB to be drafted 1st every year.

I never thought he was an elite prospect. For goodness sake, my NFL comp for him was Ryan Fitzpatrick of all people! Note I made this comparison MONTHS AGO, not conveniently after a Bowl game where is offensive line got manhandled and his skill players failed him on some crucial situations. To say "he got exposed" is comical and this is coming from a guy who is not a fan. He made some impressive throws under duress throughout the game. This is not one of his worst games.

Lastly, being somewhat turnover proned at QB is only a death knell if you are not making more positive plays to offset those turnovers. That was Geno's problem. He turned the ball over and did not make many positive plays. Sanchez ratio was at least closer to 1:1.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I hope that game chases Darnold out of USC and I hope it hurt his draft stock.

Would love if the Jets get him at 6.

15. legler82

None of the prospects in this year's overhyped class are perfect. They are all deeply flawed just like most QB prospects of prior years. And no matter who we draft there will be unrealistic expectations set on them because we are the Jets and that's what we do.

#315 legler82, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    MoWilkBeast, westiedog1 and FJF like this.
  16. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

17. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

When can we declare Andrew Luck a bust?

19. legler82

If he was a Jet, he'd already one.

20. ColoradoContrails

You're right, although I still think Rosen could meet the expectations...moot point though since I don't see the Jets getting him. But whereas the other QBs in this class will have unrealistic expectations too, Darnold has been hyped as "Can't miss" like Rosen, so I think the expectations are higher for him than the others, and it would be even more so if he came here as our "savior".