Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I didn't see a thread on this, but figure now is a fine time to start discussing free agent targets for this team. They're going to have a ton of cap space especially after numerous releases. Which positions and players should the Jets look to free agency for and which positions should be left for the draft?

I would like to see them secure a high quality starting Center if available, which is the most glaring need on the OL. At his salary, Winters is locked in for 2018 as is Beachum. I also want to see if Brandon Shell takes another step forward in 2018. Otherwise, it's draft prospects IMO. One of the best available Centers is Ryan Jensen from Baltimore. This position needs a day one starter, which should make the OL a lot better immediately.

I also think they need to sign a big-time, #1 CB, possibly to replace Claiborne, depending on financials. He's been good overall, but again had some injury issues. Truamine Johnson and Malcolm Butler are the younger, big names. A few other possibilities could be Rashaan Melvin from Indy (who shut down Antonio Brown this year), Travis Carrie from Oakland, and EJ Gaines from Buffalo, who are each young and have had good seasons in 2017. But are they #1 caliber CBs and are they scheme fits?... Melvin sounds like he could be at least.

I'd also consider at least a rotational DL to add into the mix with Xavier Cooper and Kony Ealy.

Other areas (QB, RB to team with Powell & McGuire, OT & OG prospects, pass-rushing OLB, additional CB depth), I favor in the draft.

What do others think?

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Cousins

Claiborne
    Offensive line

Anyone else

almbleamal, Jets69, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The obvious one is Cousins. The Jets played themselves out of a top draft pick BUT got lucky that the Redskins completely botched a contract situation with a top 10-12 QB that is 29 years old. Gotta go get him.

Besides Cousins, we need to resign Ealy and Claiborne. Claiborne had a solid season for us, I would give him a 2 year deal. I don't see him getting much due to injury concerns.

We should also be looking to upgrade our C and OG positions as well. Can't have our knight in shining armor get hurt can we?

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

resign
    claiborne
    davis
    ASJ
    pennel
    ealy
    harrison
    enunwa

Get
    CB
    johnson, butler or hayden would be nice

Guards
    joeckel, smith or lauvao

Tackles
    Solder or robinson (cut beechum if we do) no good RTs out there really

Center
    Evan Smith (i'd target him as center was our worst position in 2017)

WR
    robinson, Watson or Pryor would fit in nice here. maybe even josh gordon?

The rest will have to be draft. it's a pretty weak free agent year sadly in a year when we have 100+ mil to spend.

tbruner12 and boozer32 like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We don't have to spend it all this season though, if there is nothing of need bank it and get it out when the right person comes along.

6. GasedAndConfused

I know but it sets us back a year on the rebuild

7. K'OB

Well not really, we can concentrate on other areas this season and fill in the gaps in the next two, we will not be signing enough talent next season to be champions, so wasting it on substandard players is pointless and liable to set us back further and for longer imo :)

QB, C, LB, CB, OL needed of high talent or at least in the case of the QB very high potential.

I think we are good at WR and do not need to sign anybody, we have Kearse as an old pro, followed by Q and Robbie with those two promising boys from this years draft needing to be incorporated into the game plan.

All parts of our defence have flashed and shown talent at various points of the season, just not consistently enough, a couple of good signings could see that change and for god sake will someone teach them to stop holding lol

We need a sack monster, we have created pressure in a few games without really threatening to stick the QB on his ass and that is something we need to develop via draft or FA.

ASJ at TE and Thomlinson also have been decent enough, ASJ has to show he wants to be as good as he can be if he puts it all in, he looked like he was bulking up again the last two matches, we also have Leggett to come back, be interesting to see if they have have had him working on blocking skills during his rehabilitation spell.

8. GasedAndConfused

WR is interesting for sure. I agree we don't really need one. anderson, kearse, and enunwa are a good top 3 IMO but it would be nice to land a top tier talent. none really exist in free agency currently though but some of those i listed could make a good compliment at the right price especially with injuries

a good pass rusher is another thing hard to find.

K'OB likes this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You can only roll over a portion of it. The Jets have a lot right now and probably more when the season is over. So they will have to spend alot of it. League rules dictate that.

almbleamal, tbruner12 and K'OB like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's no biggie, but on page 5 of this forum, there is a 13-page thread: http://forums.theganggreen.com/thre...the-jets-really-do-much-fix-the-roster.88875/

In that thread, I have listed potential FA candidates at several positions of need for the Jets.

It doesn't appear that there would be any help at LT, but as you said, Beachum will be here next year anyway due to his cap charge, so that wouldn't have made sense anyway.

There are a number of younger prospective FA Cs, OGs, and RTs that I think the Jets should strongly consider.

I don't know if they'll become FAs, and if they do, if they'll fit our scheme, but at ILB Jon Bostic of the Colts, Avery Williamson of the Titans, and Preston Brown of the Bills are 26, 25, and 25, respectively, and have put up some pretty good stats.

There doesn't appear to be any help at OLB in FA.

#10 NCJetsfan, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

They can roll it all over for a couple of seasons before having to reach the cap floor . There are several of our own FAs to sign. Others will be added but we should have a lot to spend in 19 and 20 as well if Mac manages things properly.

K'OB likes this.
  12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I dont necessarily agree. I think we need to go over more lower profile players that fit our system well and contribute as we still have a lot of spots that could be improved. I think spending a ton to go after Cousins would be all we need for a big splash this year.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. K'OB

I meant if we had 100m cap space and we signed a couple of players say and had 80m left we would still have 80m to spend next season, I didn't mean to imply we could add the 80m to add to next years cap space. A saying over here is bank it for a rainy day :)

boozer32 likes this.
  14. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Cousins
    Butler

Resign our own

15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I see (and understand) a lot of posts suggesting pursuit of Cousins.

Watching the Vikings game last week, the announcers pointed out that all three of their QBs will be FAs this off season, and that they are likely to only bring back one of the three--probably Keenum.

Personally, I'd be more excited about Teddy Bridgewater than Kurt Cousins.

Hell, even Sam Bradford would be an huge upgrade over anything the Jets have had in years.

We could probably have both for less than the price of Cousins.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Signing Bradford when you need a qb still leaves you needing a qb.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

No doubt! But the Jets need 3 right now.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

No way I'd want any part of Sam Bradford. We'll see who the Vikings keep... Keenum has played well enough that he will either get or be competing for a starting job. Bridgewater was their guy, but he's been out so long. Who knows what his future prospects are? This is definitely a situation to keep an eye on. Keenum has been great this year, but it's his first breakthrough season. Can he sustain that success? I'll try to watch him closely in the playoffs

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

My guess is the Vikes find a way to bring back both Keenum and Teddy B and have them compete for the starting gig. Both risks in their own way but together mitigate the risk. Don’t see either breaking the bank either. Jets need to stay away from Bradford. Only FA QB that should be considered is Cousins or McCown if drafting a 1st rd QB is the plan.

FA should be used for CB, OL plus diamond in the rough/ depth types.

Only other splash type FA signing other than Cousins that should be considered is Leveon, which I have mixed feelings about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LAJet, FJF and JetFanInPA like this.
  20. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I don't want Cousins, Bradford or Bridgewater... I'll take Keenum & draft Mayfield.

nicg4360 likes this.