Todd Bowles declares McCown starter for rest of the year.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 6, 2017.

1. I would hope we’re aiming for real change..but sheesh..people coming to the aid of a 3rd year coach who just happily anointed a 38 year QB as the starter w a stinking 5-7 record.Perhaps expecting more is just lunacy. There’s a certain comfort in being the Patriots door mat every year..who are we naysayers to stand in the way. By all means Bowles for next 10 years

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Its a good opportunity to see these other pass catchers that Mac drafted. Jets want to see results from young players and well those can sometimes lead to wins. Petty isn't going to get them the football, but McCown can. Hansen will continue to see looks as well as Stewart. McCown just has the full command of the offense and year 1 with no FQB on the roster, sticking with McCown doesn't seem so bad.

FJF likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not firing a 3rd year coach is the change Kurt. We’ve been demanding instant satisfaction for a while now. But there is something to work with on this roster,just not at qb, cap space and a draft class set up for our needs. We want to change course now because Bowles can’t make the playoffs with fitz and mccown?
    Not an exclusive group he belongs to there
    Edit, the “Bowles for all 10 years” is a horrible statement.Let’s not grasp extremes to show disagreements. It kills the conversation

101GangGreen101 and Walt White like this.
  4. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

So when we draft a qb next year, he won't see the field for the next 3 years?
    Fuck that. Saying that McCown is "growing the young talent" is a bullshit execuse - Bowles has him out there trying to save his job. Period.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Nah, disagree. I think Bowles/Mac are in it together and have discussed the approach with the future in mind. Can't wait to see what happens with Petty so I can look back at this point of view.
    Of course if Petty/Hack take over and the team succeeds we could argue over whether they should've played one of them this year, and that we knew we would've beeen patient with the disastrous results

FJF likes this.
  6. FJF

Who said he wouldn’t see the field for the next 3 years? All we know is Bowles is going to pay the best qb. If 3 years from now said rookie can’t beat a 42 yo mccown we have bigger problems and Mac and Bowles will be in their way out anyway

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

People say Bowles doesn't play young players, but he's the first coach since the merger to start 2 rookie safeties. Doesn't that count for something?

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As I said before I believe Bowles is well respected by the players and is a man of integrity. That much is unquestionable in my mind. He seems to know the basic Xs and Os and gets the players believing they can win. So for that I give him credit.
    Yet I think some of the folks here are glorifying him far too much.
    I'm not getting into the QB BS discussion but his claim of fame has always been defense.
    Yet that part of the equation is our weakest link. And let's stop the BS that he doesn't have enough talent on that side of the ball. He has as much as most other teams.
    You watch every game and you will see how other teams adjust their schemes as the game progresses and we get outsmarted in the second half of the game. It takes for ever to adjust our strategy to counter that. We lost more games because of the performance of the D than we did on offense. If we play the run they tear us up with the TE, etc, etc, etc. we do not anticipate the opposition for shit.
    Is the O a pleasant surprise, hell yes. While every one was projecting it would suck big time. So for that I give full credit where credit is due and look no further than to Morton. And kudos to Bowles for selecting him.
    I think Bowles is a man of character and integrity, but to give him so much credit for getting more out of the team than the talent available is a massive stretch. If anything, our D continues to be a heavy under performer, and no one here is pushing Bowles to change QB to go fix that.
    After all, if that is his number one priority, to win games, then fix the D.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Who spoke these words of blasphemy? Hint: He's on the Jet coaching staff..

Peebag likes this.
  10. Well hold on a minute. You just got done saying in a prior post that QB hasn't really been the problem. Now all of a sudden the reason Bowles can't make the playoffs is b.c Fitz & Mccown have been his QBs??? Which is it??

The way i see it...I don't think Bowles even sees QB as a need.He wants a veteran at that spot.For one he wants to win with defense..and secondly if you aren't too picky on who exactly the Vet is they aren't exactly hard to come by. He pounded the table for Fitz to come back & now he's defiantly sticking w. Mccown under the same premise.It's the EXACT same bullshit. Mccown has overachieved year 1 the same way Fitz did. Overlooked by opponents, limited film on said QB in a new scheme under a brand new coordinator. We all know how Fitz's second year went. I'd love to know how the hell Mccown will be any different.There's no doubt now we're gonna bring him back..Bowles made his whole presser about it at 5-7 mind you...that's his guy..

I'd love to know how we have something to work with on the roster to bring a guy back when we still don't have a single impact player on either side of the ball...not 1..we also have nothing at the high impact positions QB/LT/CB/Edge.But don't worry...I'm sure 3 of those 4 positions will be prioritized..can you guess which one gets pushed to the side for a journeyman veteran?

Please tell approaching the end of year 3 how the product on the field looks any different than Edwards(01-05) Mangini(06-08) and/or Rex (09-14). Come to think of it everyone of those coaches got at least 3 seasons.. So what exactly is the "change" again?

We still play not to lose, still crumble when the stakes are high, still don't have a dependable ability to score & still SUCK against high level competition. It's not about instant satisfaction. It's about long awaited satisfaction of ANY kind....how many more 6-10 seasons & having our faces rubbed in the Patriots SHIT do we have to endure before people realize what needs to happen to see fucking WINNING in our lifetimes.

#90 KurtTheJetsFan, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is an optimistic and at the same time depression post. You have a real skill Cman.

12. boozer32

Doesn't change anything. They are gonna do the same thing next year. McCown will start lose more games than win. Rinse, repeat, rinse.

13. boozer32

Nailed it KTJF

14. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Adams, Maye, McGuire, Stewart and Hansen have seen a ton of play time. Jenkins, Lee and Shell are starters. Burris got plenty of snaps until he played himself off the field. The rest of our rookies are injured or just not good enough to get on the field. The notion is BS but folks will continue throwing random accusations at the wall until something sticks.

soh_vet and Walt White like this.
  15. FJF

if you really can't see the difference between now and the end of the rex era with aging out vets with huge cap numbers choking the roster and now i don't know what to tell you.
    there is a time and place to hit the reset button. this isn't it.

16. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

A mistake by Bowles to answer the question so definitively. Bowles doesn't owe McCown anything. Why publicly commit to him for the rest of the season? What does that accomplish? At best you gave your QB a vote of confidence (he's 38 - wtf does a vote of confidence do for his play?!?!). At worst you wind up looking like a fool if McCown's play falls off and we get blown out the next two games.

Handling the media is part of the job in the biggest media market in the world. This move gets an F.

17. boozer32

McCown is a moron and committs dumb turnovers. For a guy in his 15th year this is the best job he can get QB of the Jets. Welfare wasn't available?

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Outstanding post! You've summed up the reality of the situation perfectly.

We can argue all we want about whether Petty/Hack are good enough to get on the field (actually I don't know if anyone believes Hack is), but I agree with your "indictment" Kurt, that the Jets have done business this way for years, and based upon what we're seeing this year, we can expect more of the same. Maybe it isn't realistic, or even sensible, to want Bowles to try something different, like playing Petty/Hack, especially when McCown is playing so well...I've actually come to accept that really. BUT...I don't think I'm alone in being very concerned that we aren't just doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

I'm glad they beat KC, and the other teams they've beaten, and will root for them to beat the Broncos and every other team they play, and then I'll hold my breath while I wait to see if Macc does anything really crazy, like address the offense, especially the QB. It's not like I haven't been down this road so often I could drive it with my eyes closed, but I can look forward to the FA/Draft of 2018, and if Macc doesn't show that he's going to do things differently, it will be my last season wasted rooting for a franchise that just doesn't get it.

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

They'll add the Parcells tree as proof. Except that is a small part of his experience and he has said as much himself as far as the major influences on him in an interview. It's a myth said on here all the time. Must've been in a Cimini or Mehta article I missed.
    People form an idea and will not waver from it tho in the face of anything, smfh

FJF likes this.
  20. boozer32

They always believe but it always went sideways soon after.