How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Cousins makes a lot of sense on paper considering the money that we have, but I really don't love him.

I actually like Baker Mayfield, but I always worry about shorter quarterbacks.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. End the madness w a trade up like every other franchise that finally has enough actually has the balls to do.

I cannot & will not get behind Signing any vet including cousins to take some second rate QB “ later in the draft”.How many god damn times are we gonna wait till next year to finally face reality;We aren’t striking gold in the later rounds.We don’t have patriot karma where everything fallls just right.

3. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

1) Draft the QB that Mac likes the most and do whatever it takes to get him. Even if that means trading up.

2) Sign McCown to another 1 year extension.

3) Hold a legitimate, fair, open QB competition. They both get an EQUAL amount of snaps in TC. Let the chips fall where they may.

4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

1. Plan A; Sign Cousins, and roll with Petty/Hack as backups. It's hard for me to give up either of them, yet. More than likely Petty is nothing more than a backup and Hack is what we all believe him to be, a wasted pick.

2. Plan B; Sign McCown with Petty/Hack as backups. Unless THE QB drops to them in first round, if not, load up with best edge rusher, LT or CB with first three picks. I don't care the order because all 3 of those positions are major holes that have to be addressed with premium picks.

TonyFtLaud and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am not a McCown supporter at all, but he clearly has earned a roster spot. And that is all I said. He has proven he would be a solid back-up. Even at 39. Agreed though no way McCown comes back if they sign Cousins or any other veteran QB.
    Agreed. This likely will be Mac's plan I bet.

6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Resign McCown and draft Mayfield in the 1st.

#26 Martin&theJETS, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    The Dark Knight and westiedog1 like this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

1) Find a way into the top 5 and get a FQB whatever it takes.
    2) Cut and/or trade both Petty and Hack and let them get on with their careers. Sign another JAG Vet if option one isn't feasible.
    3) Bring back McCown and let him compete (for real this time) with the other JAG Vet while whatever rookie we draft (wherever we draft him) sits the bench in a bright red shirt.
    4) No more FAKE QB COMPETITIONS.

8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

1. Do the homework on the QBs available in this upcoming draft. If one of them is deemed to be a sure-fire (in as much as such a thing exists) franchise QB, then do what it takes to trade up and get him. If not, then draft one later on and use the first pick to add another playmaker to the offense.

2. Bring back McCown, regardless of what is done in the draft. At worst, you'd have to trot him back out there as the starting QB, and I can think of much worse options. Depending on what happens in the draft, maybe bring in another veteran to either compete for the job or to add depth to the position.

3. Trade Petty. Supposedly there were offers last year. Get something for him if you can, even if it's just a 7th rounder.

4. Stay away from Kirk Cousins and Alex Smith. The amount of money they'll command isn't even remotely worth it for a team that's still rebuilding.

9. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Transplant McCown's brain into Petty's body.

Superbowl!

The Dark Knight and Walt White like this.
  10. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Cousins would be a priority for me if he hit FA. Watching him play the last couple of seasons, he's really developed into what you'd want from a FQB.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

My only difference with you is I wouldn't go for Luck unless I had some really strong assurances that his health was 100%, and when you consider there really aren't any guarantees, I don't like the risk he poses for the price he'll cost.

12. ColoradoContrails

As with Rexstasy's post, I mainly agree, but disagree on your first option, although not quite as strongly. I just don't think signing Cousins is a better approach than drafting a potential FQB and using whatever you would've spent on Cousins to address other areas. That said, I wouldn't kill myself if they signed Cousins and were able to also get Barkley.

13. You're absolutely right about the health portion..but acouple things to consider...

1. The Dolphins made a big mistake w. Brees along these lines before he signed w. the Saints. Their medical staff didn't thing he had any longevity so they passed...I'm not saying we should blindly side Luck in light of this..just that we need to really make sure the medical staff knows what they're doing & that the FO is closely in tune.

2. The niners & Patty cakes might've done us a favor w. the Garrapolo trade. Now the "Market value" for a prospective FQB is a early 2nd rounder. I'm not foolish enough to tthink that Luck can be had w. only a 2nd rounder..but a year away from the game, medical questions looming, Irsay appearing ready to move on...a good negotiating GM w. good timing might be able to get luck for a 1st & a 3rd....Worth noting no doubt

14. ColoradoContrails

Well if the price was right - and I don't think it will be - and Luck cost significantly less than Cousins, I would be open to signing him, but I would also want them to take the best QB available with their first pick as insurance, unless Barkley was there for them, in which case I would take him and pray that Luck's luck holds out. I would then want them to look at taking a QB in 2019 with their 1st pick.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with no more fake QB competitions and with finding a way to get into the top 5. There's no way they can cut both Petty and Hack. That just doens't make any sense. At today's prices for even mediocre QBs, they can't afford to sign two vets. Petty and Hack are cheap. If they've given up on one of them, then trade or release him. Even if they've given up on both, they can only afford to get rid of one this year. They can demote the other to 3rd string, and let the rookie backup McCown (I know that Bowles would never start a rookie QB unless he was forced to by the Johnsons.).

16. NCJetsfan

There's no way the Jets should sign two vet QBs. Even mediocre QBs are getting $5-8+ million a year. Why pay two crappy JAG QBs as if you're paying (and they equal) one true FQB? They don't. Petty and Hack are cheap. Re-sign McCown, draft a rookie, trade Petty and keep Hack, or cut Hack and keep Petty.

17. NCJetsfan

If Luck is available, then that means he isn't healthy and isn't ever going to be the same QB again. If he's healthy and completely recovered, why would the Colts be willing to part with him? Checking into Luck would just be wasting time.

18. NCJetsfan

The problem is if McCown starts the season, would Bowles ever bench him? I don't think so. I think when faced with the choice, Bowles is always going to go with the veteran QB over the young, inexperienced one, regardless of how talented the young one is. Until he proves differently, that's who I think Bowles is. You know that once the season starts, that young QB would get few snaps, so how would he get developed and ready to take over from McCown?

#38 NCJetsfan, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

I'm not sure I agree with that. Colts should have a potential top 5 pick. If they can move Luck and his 160 Million dollar contract off the books for good compensation (a 1st and 2nd next year) and draft a FQB with one of their first round picks it opens up possibilities for them.

20. NCJetsfan

I think you guys are deluding yourselves. If Luck is healthy and will be the same QB, the Colts aren't gonna trade him. Who would they replace him with? Irsay will get over his frustrations of the last year or so, and keep Luck. He'd be insane not to. The only way they would trade him is if the doctors told them that Luck would never be the same.