Please fire bowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

//thread

Walt White likes this.
  2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

In order to further belabor my central point in this thread, let's take a quick look at one of the guys you mentioned here, Mr. Tom Landry. Here are Tom Landry's W/L records over his first six full seasons as Cowboys head coach:

1960: 0-11-1
    1961: 4-9-1
    1962: 5-8-1
    1963: 4-10
    1964: 5-8-1
    1965: 7-7

So, my question to all of you guys who always want to fire the coach: If Tom Landry started coaching in 2017 instead of 1960, would he ever get the opportunity to become the legendary, unquestionably top 5 GOAT coach that he eventually became?

playtowinthegame and FJF like this.
  3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

All spot on Slim. All great posts. Including any reservations regarding TB. Best clarifying posts on the subject I've seen,

Imo anyway :D

Tho I'm sure there's detractors :)

4. FJF

Slim is teaching class in here. Everyone should sit down and listen

Walt White and slimjasi like this.
  5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

haha, i'm glad at least some people see where I am coming from. What's funny is that I'm not even convinced on Bowles one way or another. I'm just so tired of all of the reactionary "fire everybody" stuff. We can always fire the dude if doesn't improve. Why not wait until we have a bigger sample size? Maybe he could improve? I just don't get it. But I think a lot of it is today's media culture. Honestly, the modern media is basically one giant lynch mob.

Walt White, FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. Walt White

Yep and yep. Meanwhile there's some positives and the potential to add more soon. The Mo crap being a kick in the balls tho. They obviously changed tactics after '16 so peeps are gonna have to live with it for at least another year most likely.

Another excellent point regarding social media too. It's a nightmare. You covered it all in one fell swoop of a few posts. Nice :)

#186 Walt White, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    slimjasi likes this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I believe he would because back then there was no free agency so teams had no choice but to develop what they had and coach up. Plus the Cowboy were an expansion of course coaches would be given more time. There also was no scouting combine. So its even more impressive that he was able to get where he did. He had a great GM that had vision also (drafted Staubach and knew he had to wait 5 years for him), innovator with flex defense, shotgun. Sorry not seeing the correalation with Bowles he coaches like he has permanent deer in the headlights disease.

8. boozer32

I was ready for the tank and 1 to 2 wins. We would have had much clearer picture of where the team was going. Petty or Hackenberg would have been fully evaluated. If they looked good then proceed with them and keep a vet QB in the wings. Now you are bringing back a guy who has been awful his whole career. You still have no future QB and if you do draft one that will be another 3 years of babysitting and clipboard holding. So we are in 2020 now. 16 games is the minimum the NFL gives and you don't have time to be a minor league team and try and figure out who can play and who can't. People bash the Cleveland Browns but the Jets are a smidgen better and that is by the grace of Weeb and Joe Willie. Sure would like to see a system in place that can get this winning yearly instead of they did just enough to still be bad year.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. boozer32

Hopefully they won't get that choice and hit the unemployment line. Get some professionals in here instead of the trying to figure it out gang.

10. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

While I'm very much in the camp that would like to see Bowles gone, it's a futile argument to make. He'll be back. And, quite honestly, it doesn't really matter. This franchise has proven through one regime after another that it's incapable of getting out of its own way and putting the pieces in place to make a run at a Super Bowl or, god forbid, sustained success.

Watching Jets games has actually become more enjoyable once I resigned myself to the fact that I'll never see my team in the Super Bowl. It helps you to laugh at the nonsense that they pull on a near-daily basis and makes the losses sting a lot less than they used to. I've never seen anyone snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in quite the same way the Jets do time after time after time.

11. Walt White

Wishful thinking on your part Snooze. Sorry for your upcoming disappointment not. Can't wait for your review of their upcoming draft and FA signings. That's gonna be classic lol

12. boozer32

Why wait till April I can give it to you now if you want. Jets get a D. Still the worst roster in the NFL with the most clueless coach in the NFL.

13. FJF

it can't be both, either we have the worst roster in the league and bowles managed to squeeze enough wins to be better than 10 other teams or he is a moron and wasting a good roster.

14. boozer32

You forgot one more equasion. The schedule the Jets have. It reflects a team that lost more than they won last year.

15. FJF

thats a bit misleading.
    14 of the opponents are preset 6 division games 1 afc division 1 nfc division. only 2 games are determined by the prior seasons record

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Your point is well made, and common sense says that we follow this script - and hell, with or without common sense, this is how its going to play out anyway. If I hadn't lived through so many other years where they just don't do anything truly different to change, I might be able to have some faith to trust them to do make the changes they need to, but I don't. The only thing that will get me change my mind is to actually see Macc do it differently - focus on fixing the offense beginning with investing heavily in a QB. If I see that, I'll become more open-minded, but until then, I'm skeptical.

17. boozer32

Wins/Losses/Almosts. Being close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

18. boozer32

Still doesn't change that the Bills, Dolphins are having bad years or the Broncos. No one can predict the injuries those team or our team would have. Lot of areas you can go with this. But Bowles still blew games that were winnable this year and to be fair won some he should not have won.

19. FJF

thats what young teams do, can't wait to see if they turn some of those close loses in to wins in 2018

boozer32 likes this.
  20. boozer32

Didn't the Rams do it? How good are they playing now. Coaches are organic it's the connection they have with the players. Its also the system. Bowles isn't even running the system he was hired to run now. Its a bend but don't break garbage system. When he was hired it was blitz city and getting after the QB. Took the DL almost half a season to register a sack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.