Lamar Jackson 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Sep 3, 2017.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Well, he may have the strength but he doesn't have the accuracy, and that is a big issue with me. Might as well have Anderson play the slot receiver for all he'll be useful for. Forget about incorporating a 'few run designs'. He'll be carried out on a stretcher before the half season is over. I don't see the Jets drafting another RG III.

And btw, if Josh Allen falls to the Jets, which would be a long shot, Mac will swoop him up, guaranteed.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Petrino ran a pretty interesting offense. Charlie a WCO type of guy, Petrino ran a WCO / option hybrid.

I hate that scouts overlook the tape, I really do.

3. 101GangGreen101

He does have the accuracy however it's inconsistent. He has shown elite ball placement skills. Check the gifs in this thread and watch him drop a dime on a vertical pass. No QB outside of Rosen or Darnold is doing that right now. Making those throws.

You like Mayfield correct? Mayfield doesn't have nearly the arm strength Jackson has, yet you are saying if the Jets draft Jackson, they should put Robby in the slot? Actually if the Jets draft Mayfield, then this would be more suggestible. You mention durability, look at the load Lamar has had over his career so far, no injuries. You cannot just make these assumptions about a player. Lamar does not have skinny legs, he's actually bigger then Teddy Bridgewater right now with a whole off-season to get stronger. Some players are just naturally durable.

Again, I just see a lot of stereotypical assessments when it comes to Jackson (not blaming you or pointing the finger at you btw), he plays nothing like RG3. He's a Vick / Wilson type of player.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  4. BomberJet

Forget about a players lack of injuries in college. The litmus test is going up against the beasts in the NFL. Name me one QB similar to Jackson's style that has not had injuries? He relies too much on his legs, from the film I've seen and boy, taht won't last long against man beasts.

I can show highlites of Rosen and Darnold and Allen making those throws and with more consistency. Lets be fair, you can't teach accuracy. A QB either has it or he doesn't. Look at what Winston is going threw with the Bucks. The INTS are still haunting him - carrying over from college.

Not overwhelmed by Mayfield , though he has some good things going for him. Put it to you this way : Mayfield may have the better shot of being put on the field faster than Jackson only because he's more traditional drop back passer. I don't think Mac will sway from that tradition.

5. 101GangGreen101

Jackson won't be running nearly as much as he did at Louisville IMO (a lot are designed runs and well you can't stop Lamar from running anyway esp in college), even so we can talk durability. Injuries are part of the game, the classic dropback QBs, they get injured as well. Wilson isn't injured is and having one of the best seasons in NFL history, but Aaron Rodgers is. Lamar has some Wilson in his game. The litmus test you have described is a test that hasn't happened yet, so you cannot simply assume he will get injured in the NFL if he hasn't had any prior injuries.

Yes, you can absolutely show Rosen and Darnold making more consistent throws, but I can show you throws that Lamar has made that Darnold has not made. Down the field, with the flick of a wrist. Bread basket for 6. He has one of the quickest releases in this draft. You can talk Rosen, but he has more durability concerns then Lamar and I think Rosen is also a special talent.

Being put on the field faster, doesn't make you the better player. How did that work out for Tom Savage / Watson? I think Lamar could start day 1 as well. BTW, Lamar even in college, going up against superior teams (literally by himself) doesn't turn the ball over much and makes very good decisions. Lamar, got a lot of potential and is probably one of the more coachable QBs in this class. Just scratching the surface of his potential.

Got a lot of QBs in this draft, for that I am excited.

Boomboom and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. BomberJet

For sure, and there's much debate on if Mac will pull the trigger for one in the 1st round and who that may be. It will be a fun off-season for figuring out what the Jets will do.

7. 101GangGreen101

I think Jets nation will be happy as long as it's not Josh Allen. He screams "bigger version of Hackenberg"

xxedge72x and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

josh allen does not do anything on the football field more consistently than lamar jackson

9. BomberJet

Josh Allen, as far as the games I've seen him play, (including that Iowa game),as far I'm concerned is lights out the better NFL ready QB than Jackson. Against good team like Iowa, the Cowboys OL had him running for his life, but when he wasn't, he was making NFL throws. This kid is going to be a good one and if the Jets have the opportunity to grab him, they will have their FQB. This is the QB Mac is going to after....unfortunately if they win 1-2 more games, it will probably be moot.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

I used to like Josh Allen like yourself, but I soured on him really quickly over this season. He is going to need FAR more coaching then Lamar Jackson. Jackson's improvement alone from last year to this year shows that he can be coached up and he will show the results much quicker on the field. Yeah he doesn't have a good team, but neither does Jackson. He has 1 quality NFL potential receiver. Lamar played with a true freshman center and an awful O-line. Still managed to put up double the amount of passing tds compared to Allen. He was 1 behind both Darnold and Rosen.

Checkout the gifs in this thread, Allen has the best arm strength in this class and he's a QB in a linebacker's body, but Jackson's ball placement ability is incredible and should have fans in awe.

11. All Gas No Shake

based on what? a handful of nfl throws? lamar jackson has those EVERY game ... everything about josh allen is projection. he doesnt do anything consistently well

12. BomberJet

Based on what? Jackson is a running back with a QB's number - watch the Florida State game - all he does is run the dam ball, LOL. And when he does pass, its all dinks and dunks. He couldn't make a deep accurate throw to save his life....He'll be drafted as a 3rd down RB in the pros because as a QB he'll get killed trying to run the ball like in college.

All the Jets need is another Hackenberg type project, omg.

I don't understand why everyone is so high on this guy....he's an NFL concussion victum waiting to happen.

#132 BomberJet, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  13. All Gas No Shake

josh allen is the hackenberg type project in this draft

you obviously havent watched jackson play this year. educate yourself ... https://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/10/6/16435054/lamar-jackson-isnt-a-scrambler

14. BomberJet

Watched many of his games - he pulls those running plays in the pros, he'll be on the inactive list in no time. Com'on you need to realize that QB's of his nature are never successful as a pro. Never. They have to be converted to traditional drop back passers. I don't see Jackson adapting to this type.

Let's not waste any more posts trying to convince each other. We'll have to wait and see what Mac does, which is the final word...and my gut feeling is he'll stay away from Jackson.

15. All Gas No Shake

in terms of running, there has not been a QB of jacksons "nature" since vick ... no recent qb has had his combination of speed and elusiveness

but agreed, lets agree to disagree. but the proof wont come from what mac does ... lets see what lamar does

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Russ Wilson just may be the MVP this season. If there is anyone’s game other than Vick that Jackson reminds me of it’s Russ’. Seems to have that kind of leadership ability as well.

I haven’t completely soured in Allen but would not be happy passing on Jackson to select Allen.

westiedog1 and FJF like this.
  17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about Jackson. I haven't seen him play. But will try to see his bowl game, 12/30 12 pm., and watch your link

There's two guys that ran with the ball that are pretty good: John Elway and Roger Staubach :)
    Two of the very best at the very top of the list

There's others. You don't discount a guy for being a great athlete.

18. 101GangGreen101

PRO NFL offense, I think he had more responsibility than Watson at Clemson. The footwork needs cleanup tho

Walt White likes this.
  19. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Several quotes from people around the NFL regarding Lamar
    "I don't know for sure where he'll play in our league, but he's f--king exciting. I could also see someone breaking him in half the first time he's hit." —AFC defensive coordinator

"With as much natural talent he has, there's developmental potential. The key will be how well his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach can create a scheme for him—like Kyle Shanahan with RGIII—so he can have success early. Then you have to build on that success so defenses don't catch up to him." —NFC player personnel director

"Well, I think the first question is what is he? I don't think he's a great passer despite good arm strength. I don't think he's a powerful enough runner to have success on the ground. So he'll have to learn to be a better thrower and stop relying on his legs. And if that doesn't work, move him to receiver." —former NFL general manager

gajetsfan likes this.
  20. Ralph flynn

Ralph flynn New Member

From an UL alum- Lamar is an unbelievable athlete. He probably has 3 percent body fat, will run about a 4.35 fourty, can make cuts like Barry Sanders, and has a cannon for an arm. He is also an extremely hard worker and a popular teammate.

The problem is he has not been coached as a QB all that long. He just learned to throw the ball away this year and is still a lot better at reading half the field. He will drop a 50 yard dime perfectly and the next play miss on a wheel route because he did not point his feet at his target.

He will also try to put too much of the game on his own shoulders. A good QB coach could probably make him a hall of famer, but there will be growing pains tho get there. Whoever he goes to will not be bored, lol.

All Gas No Shake and westiedog1 like this.