Please fire bowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, not if it's mediocre. Consistency just for the sake of consistency is meaningless. Bowles is still a horrible game coach. He can't manage the game, the clock, or make adjustments. The team hasn't made the playoffs in 3 years. He's too conservative/passive. He isn't enough of a disciplinarian. His handling of QBs leaves a LOT to be desired. There's little or no reason for him to be back. If I was the owner, as soon as he said that McCown was his starter the rest of the year, I would have fired his ass.

ColoradoContrails and abc like this.
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Talkin' about a "dopey moron".

If "normal human beings" like him took an objective view it would be obvious regarding Bowles.

Ignor-anus loser

3. NCJetsfan

I never thought the talent was as bad as most were saying. The media and most fans believe that a young, untested player will suck and has no talent until he proves otherwise. These players wouldn't be in the NFL if they had no talent. Young, hungry players who are trying to make a name for themselves and a career in the NFL are gonna work hard, play hard and bust their butts. I believed that the team would play hard and be more competitive than others believed, but thought that they would wind up blowing games or wearing down in the 4th Qtr. due to rookie mistakes, Bowles incompetence, or having less experience and talent than other teams.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I have been back and forth myself on Bowles but I also know better than to make knee jerk comments 15 minutes into a game like the OP did. LS88's recent comment about Bowles just shows what is behind his thinking.

Walt White likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

At the time, I agreed with you, but not now. We learned that he had lost the team, was too anal and secretive. He was worse in those regards with the Browns. I think he had the ability to become a good, if not excellent HC, but his controlling personality/insecurities won't allow it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Walt,,,,,I do not think he is a good coach regarding all aspects of the team that includes discipline, offense, defense ,clock management special teams , coaching up the young guys especially the QB's , and defensive players that should be his specialty, but thats me , maybe you think he does all this well , we disagree . But They should or could have won some other games and have played hard but that works both ways as we just watched KC implode, I watched us beat Jax with Borthes handling the ball like a greased pig , they had to beat the Browns , no ? Then we lost to a real bad fish team, these are the games that jump off at me as I type. They have played hard and won some games yes and I give Bowels credit for them playing hard but if you think that makes him a good coach in all aspects of coaching I disagree .

7. Walt White

Okay.

But when we lose because of mistakes it's Bolwes' fault. When we win because of other teams mistakes he gets no credit, and the other coach gets a pass.

We've game planned against some damn good QB's, and teams, and almost beat a couple of them that came down to a couple plays on O and ST's. Pretty surprising considering the roster overall, imo.
    The better the roster the better chance of all units and facets playing and working together to win games as a complete team. That's why I'd say he's coming back. That's their decision

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Possibly, but I still would have loved to see what would have happened in 2009 and 2010 had we kept him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You bought up some great points about Mangini. I don't know why the hook was so fast with him. Maybe it was the Gholston pick.

slimjasi likes this.
  10. boozer32

Luck. Certainly wasn't skill from the coaching staff or the history of McCown. Just plain old luck.

11. boozer32

Bowles sucks deal with it. Don't remember you around here last year sucking up to Bowles. Bottom line right now not last year but right now. What is Bowles record this year? Answer that and then try and defend him. The NFL is not a league for his players played hard for him. Its wins and losses clown and Bowles is on the losing end. Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry you never heard people described them by saying "oh the players play so hard for them". No what you heard was they were winning coaches.

CBG likes this.
  12. Walt White

Actually I lol'd when you and a couple of others knew he would've been fired by now. Right on this board. So, wrong. See that's why you get your balls broken. Dumbass Assclown. Not too mention my critiques also that are there on the record since '15
    Yeah, then bring up three of the best ever to back up your delusional mumbling's along with the ad hominum insult you ****. That proves a lot. There were dumbasses like you criticizing those coaches too at the start of their careers. Prolly comparing them to George Halas, lol.

#172 Walt White, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Bowels will be brought back and given an extension, they have no choice but to do this. Its not what I want and in time it will all play it self out but my opinion is the guy is a bad coach and inevitably will be shit canned . I would like nothing better for Bowels to prove me wrong and win a Super Bowl with this team but I just don't see it in his DNA , again in my opinion he does not have what it takes and just getting the players to play hard should be a given for any coach . BTW if we debated this last year , many of those guys flat out quit on him , this team is young give them time they either conform or get tired of Uncle Todd message and do the same, I guess we will get a better answer a year or 2 down the road. I just hope its not a year or 2 too late, I fear it will be.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  14. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I concur... 1000%

15. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

That's my biggest fear. He'll win just enough to force an extension, this weeks game could decide it imho. As for this team not quitting vs. last year its all about the contract. Many players here now are on rookie contracts that don't pay much whereas the vets were well paid and he lost them. They are playing hard for their next contract not just for Bowles yet he's getting that credit from some here. See the big picture people.

16. slimjasi

Sometimes, you have to give players/coaches the latitude to screw up and get better. It's a tough thing to decide who is worth that investment, but some coaches/players certainly are. Bill Belichick was 6-10, 7-9, and 7-9 in his first three full seasons in Cleveland. Then, he was 11-5 and won a playoff game (with Vinny T as QB). Then, he was 5-11 in the Brown's last (chaotic) season in Cleveland before abandoning the city for a while, and he got fired. Then, when he got his next shot at being a head coach, he was 5-11 in his first year in NE. For those counting, that's 4 losing seasons in his first 5 as a head coach.

This is but one example among many. The point is, sometimes guys have to learn to master their craft. We live in such a fast-paced world of immediate gratification and sheer media over-saturation/over-analysis/lunacy, that sometimes I think people forget how prudent patience can really be. I'm not saying Bowles is the right guy. I still have sincere doubts that he is, but I'm also willing to at least wait until the season is over before evaluating him calmly and objectively. I'm also willing to admit that there is at least a chance that he can eventually be that guy.

Also, a lot of people on this message board who are acting like we have the dumbest coach in the league are some of the same people who were claiming in August that we were going to win 1-2 games this year. Some of you dudes really need to understand that you can't have it both ways. On TGG, the Jets exceeding expectations = the Jets had more talent than we thought, but are being held back by a terrible coach. Meanwhile, the Jets failing to live up to expectations = the coach sucks.

#176 slimjasi, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  17. slimjasi

I think it was the awfulness of the 8-3 collapse. All of the hype after we beat the (then undefeated) Titans that year had people thinking we just might finally get back to a SB. That really was a BRUTAL collapse and Mangini definitely deserved plenty of blame. But I just thought he deserved a 4th year to redeem himself.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. Walt White

Nice post. I'm looking forward to the off-season to see how they, Mac, and Bowles, address the QB and the rest of the roster going into the '18 season. :)

slimjasi likes this.
  19. slimjasi

I have no problem admitting that I tend to prefer firing a guy one year too late than one year too early. I just think guys don't get enough of a chance to grow into being good head coaches anymore. I think most of the coaches in the league could be successful in the right situation and I would rather invest in a guy who I believe in and let him mold that "right situation" than switching coaches, and by extension, cultures/philosophies every 3-4 years.

Also, let's be honest: It's extremely hard to build a consistent winner without a franchise QB and only a handful of NFL coaches actually have one. According to Colin Cowherd, Herm Edwards told him that there are two types of coaches in the NFL: Guys with a franchise quarterback and guys who eventually get fired. I happen to wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment.

For example, do you guys really think that if someone like Mike McCarthy had been our coach for the last 6-7 years that we would have been significantly more successful? I don't. Now, give us Mr. Rodgers over that same time period, and we would have been in business.

20. slimjasi

It's all about getting the right QB in here and then adding a few complimentary pieces.

Walt White likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.