How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

As we heard yesterday: Bowles is going with McCown the rest of the 2017 season. That means no Petty and no Hackenberg. So what do you do heading into 2018?

McCown has earned a roster spot if he wants it in 2018. As a starter? No way. That is obvious. Petty will be in the final year of his deal so clearly he would be a tough option to go with. Hackenberg will be in Year 3 and definitely needing to show he is worth a roster spot.

You have Kirk Cousins potentially in free agency. Plenty of QB in the draft. Maybe Case Keenum or Teddy Bridgewater as Minnesota likely won't keep both.

This will definitely be fascinating to watch over the Off-season. Maybe this is more of an off-season thread, but if you are a fan like me, you are already looking forward to a potentially successful and fun 2018 season. :)

For me, I would go into 2018 Training Camp with 4 Quarterbacks on the roster. Petty and Hackenberg, a veteran like Keenum or McCown and a rookie QB likely from Rounds 1-2. Let them battle it out and may the best man win and the worst man be cut. Hackenberg or more likely Petty could be traded/cut at the draft too. If that happens, then a 3-man camp is fine.

What do you guys think?

abc likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What I would do is sign cousins,draft a 2nd 3rd rd prospect and go into the season with cousins,pick,petty/hack.
    Failing that and more like what I think will happen, resign mccown,1st rd pick, petty/hack with mccown starting until injury or play opens up an opportunity for the new kid

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I would go after Kirk Cousins very heavily. If we swing and miss with Kirk, I'd go and draft a QB in the 1st round but cannot see us getting Rosen or Darnold. Much more likely would be Mayfield. Rumors of Macc being in love with Allen sounds like a repeat of Macc falling in love with a prospect who has all the physical attributes to be incredible but the play on the field is ok.

I would see if McCown wants to come back but at a 8-9 mil price tag and as a backup. If jets feel like that's too expensive then by all means move on. Like I said, it's nice to see he have a good year but we have to be realistic and consider his career. He's been on a million different teams, and the likelihood of his play continuing at the rate it has is unlikely.

If he's not brought back Petty can be the backup.

FlaJet and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Bring McCown back and do everything in your power to land a top QB prospect next year. Mayfield or Jackson should be within reach if neither goes to Cleveland. Open competition for the starting job. Not a fan of bringing in Cousins, that's a move you make if you feel he's the final piece to a title run. We still have way too many deficiencies across the board to place ourselves in that category. Use the abundance of cap space to fix up the rest of the roster instead.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd look hard at Kirk Cousins. Ultimately I'd sign him if feasible and the price seems relatively reasonable.

If not, I resign McCown on a one-year deal and, most importantly, draft a QB in the 1st round or maybe early 2nd if the fit/value is better. Then let Petty or Hack compete for a roster spot.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

What would that be to you? Stafford's deal was 5 years, $135 million. $27 million a year. $92 million guaranteed. I assume Cousins would demand something similar.

7. The Dark Knight

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. Like I said, McCown earned a spot if he wants it, but in no way should start. His problem is Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Jets saw his 2015 season, then overpaid in 2016 and were screwed by him. They won't make that mistake with McCown.

I still have not given up on Hackenberg or even Petty, but it is safe to assume the Jets have. Can't wait around forever. Especially at the QB position.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

1st I’m checking to see if Luck is available.

2nd I’m checking the cost to move up into Darnold range.

3rd I’m resigning McCown, drafting one of the 2nd tier QB prospects and releasing Hack.

Wouldn’t be in this position if we got our franchise QB last draft when we had the chance. But nooooo, wait til next year, Jets won’t win a game and can choose better QB prospects. Guess what? Jets won a couple games and I’m not even sure there are any better QB prospects in this draft. Moral of the story, never pass on a potential franchise QB if you don’t already have one.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Option 1: Take a hard look at Cousins, given the cap. If I can give him a deal that doesn't hamper the cap completely, I'll sign him.
    Option 2: Try and trade up for Rosen
    Option 3: Stand pat and take Lamar Jackson, beef up the o-line the next 2 picks after.

The last 2 options, I am resigning McCown. Might resign him regardless, he's a good guy in the locker room. Maybe a QB coach one day

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Sign Kirk Couins. Sign Kirk Cousins. Sign Kirk Cousins. We have $79M in cap space this off season before any potential cuts like Forte, Skrine, or Wilkerson. After signing Kirk I'd draft a QB at some point in the 3rd or 4th round to backup and compete with Hackenberg.

FlaJet, The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I hope it's one of the above and the Jets don't try and show how smart they are and do something preposterous. :)

I guess they could go with a guy like Bridgewater. But then i'd want the pick to be a high 1st rd. pick.

The field of QB's in the draft looks deep so a Cousins signing and a later pick would have me excited also.

FlaJet, The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  12. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Get either Rosen or Darnald at any cost.
    Anything else would be half assing the situation.

13. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Resign McCown and dump either or both Hack and Petty. Then it's up to the scouts to find a potential FQB in the later rounds. Use the cap money to upgrade the O line.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

You could sign Cousins and trade down too and still get a good QB prospect, and add additional higher level youth to the roster.

FlaJet, FJF and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Draft one of the top QB prospects. Move up if you have to to get the one you like. I like Mayfield, but I bow to more knowledgeable minds on the Jets staff, but they better get it right. The Jets are putting together a young team. Ideally, you would want a young QB to grow in skill, experience and leadership with the team. That's how you build a dynasty. McCown has earned the backup role if he wants it. Cousins is halfway through his career in which he hasn't won anything worth mentioning, and he certainly isn't likely to win anything with the Jets. There are better ways to spend 25M a year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The decision is kind of made for them depending on draft slot. If they're picking mid-teens and neither Allen nor Mayfield are there then I'd like them to look into Smith or Cousins and draft someone later but not make a 5th round pick a 2nd rounder again. Cousins likely will want too much so Smith may be the way to go. He's not flashy but he's accurate, smart, elusive and still has enough years left to give him a 3-4 year deal.

That said I can see them bringing McCown back along with Petty and drafting either Mayfield or Jackson. Not picking a QB in a QB draft will get a GM fired faster than picking a QB that doesn't cut, especially since only 50% or so of 1st round QB's make it in the league as quality starters.

17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

That same staff made drafted Hack in round 2 instead of 4 or 5... I have zero confidence in them until proven otherwise.

18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

They also didn't draft Watson, so I agree there isn't much to like. However, they've got the job and we don't, so if they want to keep their's, they better not screw it up.

19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I don't really buy this McCown has earned his spot thing. He's been great, but he is what he is. And that's not the future. The only role for McCown next year is a mentor/backup if we draft a new QB high. He can start the season if necessary, or take some pressure of if it gets tough.

If we sign Cousins or another potential starter in FA there's no role for McCown. If they still feel Hack/Petty is the future, however unlikely it seems, then they have to start.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Sign a QB round 1, have him compete with McCown and Petty/Hackenberg.

Can't really see too many other options. No FA's available worth the money they'll cost.

ColoradoContrails likes this.