Todd Bowles declares McCown starter for rest of the year.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 6, 2017.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

it really is NOT SMART for him to commit either way . I thought he would never play the kids until at least week 15 or 16 but to commit this way is just not wise . I mean can you guys see no scenario where the kids should or could play in one or both of the last 2 games ? I mean should IF we drop out of it and are mathematically done I would play EVERY kid but thats me .

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Having a QB that we believe can be the future on the roster along with McCown is light years better at the QB position than the Jets have seen since probably before Pennington’s first should surgery.

Now we just need to find the QB they believe can be the future.

3. oldrover

oldrover Member

Big difference... unlike FitzPickSix, McCown isn't a self-centered douche with delusions of grandeur. He's a team guy.

4. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

If he was a team guy, he'd commit hari kari.

boozer32, NCJetsfan and slimjasi like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Didn't they say the same thing about Fitz at the end of 2015 ?

boozer32 likes this.
  6. Cman68

and here lies the challenge.. I really hope Macc's third trip to the draft well produces a FQB.. Hell, I'd settle for a mediocre QB under the age of 25. Point being, Macc really can't fuck this up a 3rd time. At least he's doing his homework like the scout he used to be. Lets hope it bears fruit this time.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This will be his last shot. You know what they say, third times the charm, let’s hope.

I will say, I have more faith in Morton than any other coach the Jets have had since probably the Parcells era.

I was very against Fitz coming back for a second term with Jets, I am for McCown coming back. I do think they are different even though the situation is similar.

boozer32, oldrover and FJF like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I hope you are 100% right.. But the CS better come up with a development plan so the kid can see the field in 2019. Not the miserable cluster fuck conducted under Gailey. There was no way last year Fitz performance gave us the best chance to win, no more or less than Petty or anyone else.. Difference is we would have saved a boat load of money to capture a much needed help in the OL, or OLB, or a better QB.

#28 LAJet, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Cman68 likes this.
  9. Cman68

I think Mentors are overrated with this new generation of kids. There's nothing a mentor can give a kid that experience and a good QB coach can't. Now if that Qb coach happens to be an successful ex-player, all the better. In fact, isn't a Qb coach supposed to be a mentor??? Kids sitting forever on a bench does nothing except waste valuable time but then again, it might also save a job or two.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  10. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Questionable as to whether Mac agrees to what Bowles is doing.......if the Jets go 0 for the rest, I think it will be Bowles's downfall.....we shall see.

11. BomberJet

To add to this... to think that Petty is not even an adequate back up that Bowles refuses to give some playing time , that's really hard to swallow. The valuable experience he could obtain is all but left on the curb side. And all because, imo, this org did not give Bowles the reassurance that his job was safe. Playing McCown, he's whistling in the dark for 2018....big risk if they run the table by losing the remaining 4.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go that far as comparison, but this is by FAR Josh McCown's best play at quarterback since the 2013 season when he started 5 games for the Bears. If you look at Josh's career he's been on some bad teams when he did get a shot at starting. Seeing him play this great in what is his 15th year in the NFL is impressive. He's in great shape with low mileage with only 72 starts in a 15 year career. That's 4.5 seasons of football. NFL Comeback Player of the Year is a strong possibility for our McCaptain. Bowles naming him the starter for the remainder of the season was a vote of confidence for not just Josh, but for the entire TEAM. If they beat the Broncos and get a taste of winning on the road it will carry over into Nawlins.

#32 playtowinthegame, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Mogriffjr and FJF like this.
  13. BomberJet

This coming game against Denver potentially reminds me so much of the Bucs game : they came into it flaunting from the previous win and wound up stinking up the joint. I can see this happening again .......boy it wouldn't surprise me :p

14. playtowinthegame

This feels like the beginning of a 5 game win streak. -Rob A

FJF likes this.
  15. BomberJet

That would mean winning 1 game in wildcard? winning in NO and NE home turf? wow, that's optimistic, lol

16. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Despite a few HUGE and comically untimely turnovers, he has played very well. He's earned it, tbh.

Regardless, it's obvious that the QB of the future is not on the roster, so there really isn't any reason to play Petty/Hack.

FJF likes this.
  17. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

classic post

18. playtowinthegame

Chiefs, Broncos, Saints, Chargers, and Patriots = 5 game win streak. :mad:

19. BomberJet

I was wiping the slate clean from the KC game, my bad......lets see what they do in Denver as that team is reeling and they are always tough to beat there.

20. playtowinthegame

Agreed, no point putting in either of those guys right now. McCown has helped Robby Anderson earn a trip to the Pro Bowl. I can't see that happening with Hack or Petty checking down most of the time.

slimjasi likes this.