Todd Bowles declares McCown starter for rest of the year.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Sorry to provide the link for a Cimini article but for those of you who don't want to click I will post the article as well.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...-no-plans-none-to-play-his-young-quarterbacks

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Pining for Petty? Hoping for Hackenberg? Sorry, you'll have to wait.

Until 2018.

On Wednesday, New York Jets coach Todd Bowles indicated Josh McCown, who has yet to miss a snap, will start the final four games of the season, barring injury.

"That's what I've been saying," Bowles said.

Yes, that's true -- in a way. A few weeks ago, Bowles said he couldn't envision a scenario where he'd change quarterbacks. Since then, he has repeated that theme in various forms. On Wednesday, he was presented with an exact timeline, as he was asked if McCown will start the final four games.

In response, Bowles reiterated what he already had reiterated: He's riding McCown until the end, meaning backups Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenbergshould be prepared to spend the entire season on the bench.

"I'm young. I'm going to get my shot, I know that for a fact," said Petty, adding that McCown deserves to keep the job.

Hackenberg: "(My opportunity) just hasn't happened yet. I'm not mad about it. I feel like it's counterproductive to be frustrated about it."

If Hackenberg doesn't get off the bench, he'd be only the third quarterback drafted in the first or second round who didn't play a single snap in his first two seasons. That goes back to the merger in 1970.

The obvious reason for Bowles' steadfast commitment to McCown is that he's playing really well. The 38-year-old journeyman is enjoying a career year, as he's 12th in the NFL with a 96.7 passer rating. He was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week after passing for 331 yards and accounting for three touchdowns (one passing, two rushing) in the Jets' win over the Kansas City Chiefs.

The unspoken reason is that Bowles has no desire to give auditions to Petty and Hackenberg. They received extensive action in the preseason, and the Jets evidently didn't like what they saw. Neither quarterback figures to be a future starter, so Bowles doesn't want to give away reps. He also doesn't want to hurt his chances of winning.

Evaluate young quarterbacks for the future? Bah humbug. They will leave that to the New York Giants.

As for McCown, he took the "news" in stride.

"That was my plan and my expectation," he said. "To hear that just reaffirms it. I had every expectation of doing that anyway, but I'm glad to hear it."

tbruner12 likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

1 more year before Petty escapes Devil's Island. Mackenberg otoh, has at least 2 more years to go on his rookie deal. We already know they're not gonna re-sign Petty and most likely will draft a QB. Depending on whom the Jets draft, Mackenberg might never take a meaningful snap his entire rookie contract. 2nd rd. pick that can't get on the field... Only the Jets.

Mackenberg's best chance just might be Canada. He's not gonna play with the Jets and most likely not in the NFL either without showing more than he has so far.

Petty will get picked up by some team down the road and we'll finally find out if Petty really does suck or not. We won't find out as long as he's wearing green for sure.

Congrats to McCown for making the Jet QB picture so much clearer. No more expectations of the kids playing means he'd better keep his ass healthy and on the field if he wants that big payday. Macc I'm sure is already drawing up the blank check. I just hope Macc doesn't bid against himself and lose again like he did with Fitz. Macc might also think long and hard about who his next QB pick will be. If he fucks up again..............

No surprises here. McCown, Bowles and Macc all win with new contracts, Petty gets out of dodge one way or the other, Hackenberg realizes his future isn't in New York either, and Macc finally drafts the right kid QB (Hopefully).

At least 2018 won't be a repeat of 2017. I just hope its not a repeat of 2016 with Fitz 2.0

#2 Cman68, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

same rules for all the players mccown has not done anything to get himself benched.

tbruner12 and Brook! like this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Josh "Kurt" McWarner

Jets69 likes this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If that means they're moving on from Petty and we're drafting a guy and/or singing a FA too I'm good.

Now if Johnson announces later Bowles is back next year I'm lol

Good luck in the CFL Bryce!

Jets69 and Mogriffjr like this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Revenge is a dish best served cold..

Leicester Jet likes this.
  7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The next QB is not on the roster he is playing for Oklahoma or Louisville or maybe even Wyoming. McCown will do fine until then.

8. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Well, that tells us all we need to know? Toilet thinks Petty and Hack suck and therefore he doesn't need to see them play. It also tells us all we need to know?

I figure Petty sticks with the roster, because despite how bad he is he's still about 100 times better than Hack. Hack is every bit as bad as Ryan Leaf.

Mac will be drafting a QB. That is now guaranteed to happen.

tbruner12 and boozer32 like this.
  9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Please stop the Toilet stuff. It makes you look bad.

10. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Or.....you know...maybe OC Morton, QBC Bates or AQBC Lombardi tells Bowles he sucks and he takes their word for it, because well, they are running the offense. so there's that possibility

Kris 15 and Walt White like this.
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Maybe he even discussed it with Mac too with a vision towards the future? As hard as some of these simple concepts may be for some fans to grasp.

#11 Walt White, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    All Gas No Shake likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Do you guys wonder where we will really be next year QB wise?
    IMO There isn't a chance in hell that a rookie QB drafted first round or not will start for us on day one. So embrace for another year of McCown or similar and wondering if the new kid is the real deal or not. Thus patience is of the essence.
    If we get someone in free agency then we are banking on a QB that may be better, but apparently never reached FQB potential with their prior teams. I personally dislike this option.
    Further we apparently have swiftly dismissed Petty and Hack as no good. We must presume one or both will be gone,without essentially never seeing the field.
    So next year is most likely further development behind the scenes for a QB. Leaving Jets old timers wondering when the fuck is our very own FQB going to show up and take the field.
    As if fifty years is not long enough.

#12 LAJet, Dec 6, 2017
  13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Please cut both backups then. We have no interest in developing them (problably because we’re garbage at developing QBs). While I like what McCown has done here, Bowles seems kinda dumb to declare a QB starter rest of the year when we are barely in the hunt.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Soon the hunt will be over

#14 LAJet, Dec 6, 2017
    boozer32 likes this.
  15. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Imagine if you will

Jets sign perennial loser QB....

He has decent year

Bring him back in year 2

But he sucks......

Let’s do it AGAIN two years later!

Sounds familiar- you morons don’t see it

F all you idiot short term limited thinking people

16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Bowles is fucking retarded ukw

boozer32, NCJetsfan and BomberJet like this.
  17. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

It's hard to believe, but it's extremely unlikely that any rookie, even Rosen or Darnold, could come in next year and play better than McCown has this season. The guy's numbers are almost Pro Bowl level.

Footballgod214 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Not just rookies really. It's hard to see many QBs playing significantly better than McCown has this season.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  19. abc

abc Well-Known Member

vomit :/

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

All this tells me is in the minds of Mac & Bowles the QB of the future is not on our roster.

McCown stays for another year and we draft our heir apparent come rd. 1.