Jets QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsUK, Nov 13, 2017.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I thought it somewhat sad/funny that the only way you could get a game with such poor offensive play and low scores was to have both teams sporting 'Jets' quarterbacks...

Can we please, for one, have a decent QB on this team for a decent number of years? pretty much every other franchise has managed this (some on a few occassions) - I just want it for once in my fandom

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U R just to young to remember someone named Joe Willie Namath:mad:

boozer32 likes this.
  3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

well I started to follow the Jets in 1985 - but to be fair Namath wasn't a great QB - if we hadn't won that superbowl (or if we had actually had some decent QBs in the interim) he would not be remembered so favourably

JetsFan likes this.
  4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Oh please oh please oh please oh please.

[​IMG]

Cman68 likes this.
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

We will when we finally have someone at the GM spot that has an eye for QB. That may or may not be Maccagnan..early indications would say he's not because he took Hack early and he hasn't progressed enough to nab the starting spot but we may have a top 10 pick and we will have a boat load of cap space. If retained, Maccagnan will surely be addressing QB this upcoming offseason

6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

You'll get Case Keenum next. Mac loves him some Journeyman Quarterbacks.

JetsFan, Freddy Mondo, Jets69 and 4 others like this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I like Case Keenum's wife.

So there's that.

boozer32 likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We'll get Josh 2.0 at a guaranteed $10mil per for 3yrs and a option for a 4th. Its only money...

boozer32 likes this.
  9. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

One thing I am certain of is Mac WILL draft a QB in 2018. I would be VERY surprised if he didn't? Mac has to think the CS is reaching the tail end of the Petty and Hack experiments. Petty is probably worth hanging on to for depth, but Hack is worse than Ryan Leaf if that's actually possible.

So be careful of what you wish for, it just might happen.

I don't know that whatever kid Mac opts to draft will be a franchise QB, but I guarantee we'll be headed head long into an experiment of that nature? More than likely there will be a rookie starting at QB next season. McCown will be resigned but only to serve as a veteran presence and to mentor the young kid.

The only questions for me is:

1) Is Mac the right guy to be making a QB selection? Mac LIKES to select QB's, but the problem is he SUCKS at it? Petty and Hack were supposed to be our future. Instead we have the roster clogged with bums.

2) WHO is the guy that will be a franchise QB? The 2018 QB class is far too large for there not to be any franchise QB's? I'm thinking at least 1 if not more will be considered in the future to be future of their teams. My personal choice would be Baker Mayfield? I know that is likely a choice that will draw criticism, but I like what the kid has done. I think he has all the confidence needed to survive in NY. He can make all of the throws. I do not believe he'll turn out to be brittle. I also believe that in time the game will slow down for him and he'll start to make progressions, look off safeties, etc. I believe he's got a good pocket presence. I am not at all concerned about his height.

boozer32, tubby and Cman68 like this.
  10. Cman68

Again, this uncertainty is a registered trademark of the New York Jets Football Organization. Its one thing to have questions going into the off season. Its quite another to have the SAME questions going into multiple off seasons. If a stopped clock is right twice a day, WTF is the Jets problem???

11. championjets69

12. tubby

tubby Active Member

I would personally love to draft Baker Mayfield. At the very least he would be hilarious.

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Or one Chad Pennington

14. boozer32

I'm not sure sure Macc will draft a QB in the first round. The guy thinks he Bill Walsh and smarter than everyone in the NFL. I hope he's not the one making the Jets QB pick. I want a new direction because he hasn't been able to influence Bowles (coaching staff sucks) and his free agent pick up stink. His awarding a gigantic contract to a meathead like Winters.

15. boozer32

That's not true. Stats are not everything. Namath won the most important Super Bowl ever. It showed the AFL was on par with the more established NFL and the merger was certified. The NFL hasn't look back since. Its not Lombardi type impact but an impact nontheless.

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick looked like a beast last week, he'd be worth bring in next season...

17. championjets69

Well you must be a teenager if U believe what U posted :mad:

18. Mainejet

Well, I agree with you. I don't know that Mac will select a QB in the 1st round. I am just confident that he will draft a QB. That's all I am saying. Based on Mac's history of drafting QB's, you could draw a conclusion that Mac does NOT believe that you must invest a high pick to get a franchise QB. I agree with that line of thinking. I just think, more often than not, you'll likely be investing a 1st round draft choice to get a franchise QB. Now, there probably aren't any numbers to back up what I am saying. That's just my theory.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. Cman68

Given Macc's track record so far, I hope he goes BPA-D again in the early rounds.

20. Mainejet

Well, the problem that you're talking about only gets worked out by having long term, sustained stability within a football organization. I do believe Mac is working on that? He's been in NY for 3 years now and in 2017 IMO he had an excellent draft. So maybe things are turning once and for all into the positive realm? Only time will tell and obviously a huge factor determining that will be drafting a franchise QB.

Cman68 likes this.