Enough is enough. Play Petty For Gods sake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Nov 12, 2017.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good feedback. I hope by day 1 starter you mean both QB and HC GQ. I can't take this putrid offense anymore.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you were at T.C. and thought Petty would be the starter, why do you think Bowles doesn't think so?

3. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

There's still a chance, it's just that Bowles is severely overestimating it. Until we're mathematically eliminated he'll cling to McCown.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Until Bowles has his extension signed, he'll cling to McCown..

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I specifically got tickets for the last training camps of the pre-season because I figured the QB competition would be decided then.

During those camps, McCown literally got like 5 reps with the first team and Petty and Hackenberg got substantially more reps. This led me to believe McCown was beat already and Petty would be the #1 QB.

Boy was I wrong.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If we take Chris Johnson at face value, he is looking for progress. If the Jets stagnate and lose a bunch of games to end the season, there would be no progress made, in my opinion.

At that point, I expect black Monday casualties in Florham Park.

LAJet likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I might be dead wrong, but my thinking was that Bowles made up his mind based on experience very early on. He didn't give a damn how well Petty did in training camp. He played both kids long enough to get Mac off his hair..or ass.

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think the plan from the jump was to see if Hackenberg could win the job and when it was apparent that he couldn't they deviated to the experienced McCown.

Now, the fact that Bowles has said he does not see a scenario where the younger QB's replace McCown is troubling. A few weeks back he did see he saw the young QB's during the summer and McCown was his QB, that's all you need to know regarding Bowles' mindset.

HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  9. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Bowles stays loyal to veterans. That and at 4-6, we technically are still in the playoff hunt. He won't even think about switching QB's until we lose 8 or 9 games. Also, Petty stinks. I don't care that he lit up the Giants 4th string defensive unit. He will be 3rd string or out of here next year. Back-up at best.

FJF likes this.
  10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

At this point I think it is pretty clear, so whining over or acting dismayed about it is pointless.
    The Jets (Bowles/Mc) have no interest or confidence in Petty being the starter, you can bank on him not being here next year.
    While they hopes of Hack being able to step up it became apparent early on that would not happen - hence we are stuck with McCown. Even though we will probably lose the next 4 badly with Denver the only game that may be kept close for awhile.

As long as Mac an Bowles are here.
    I honestly believe McCown will be back next year and our opening day starter. The other 2 being Hack and one we draft.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  11. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I don't think Mac will sign McCown again. He didn't want to sign Fitz and he caved to Bowles' demands, but Fitz was a 34 year old QB coming off a career year. I didn't understand that Bowles and Mac's are equals int he structure. But now that I understand that Macs decisions make sense. I believe Mac wanted to play the young QBs and he figured that if he gives Bowles a crappy 38 year old journeyman QB with a significant injury history, Bowles would have to start the young QBs eventually. Ironically, I suspect that the reason Mac thought McCown was worth $6 million was his likelihood of getting injured and/or performing poorly but still being a safety blanket if both young QBs stunk it up. Unfortunately, the jokes on Mac and us because McCown's doing OK and despite the pounding he's been taking he's still healthy and Bowles absolutely isn't going to start anyone else no matter what, barring injury to McCown. So, if we want to see the young QBs get some experience we're stuck with either firing Bowles now or hoping McCown gets injured.

Since its clear that Bowles doesn't seem to give a crap about the future of the team, I think its time to get rid of him right now (don't wait until the end of the season) and make the DC the interim head coach for now. Its a shame because I think Bowles has the potential to one day be a decent head coach and I'd really like some stability, but if he's not putting the team first then its time for him to go.

I would keep Mac as GM and let him find a head coach who will then report to him. I think Mac is the best GM the the jets have had a in a long time. He's pretty good at finding talent (especially in mid and later rounds and UFAs), he doesn't overspend crazy amounts to sign washed up veterans to cap killing deals and he makes pretty good trades.

12. Cman68

You didn't factor in the "extension"... Trumps everything else.

13. Cman68

That being said, there is absolutely nothing these kids can do to change his mind. If you've ever worked for a boss that doesn't like you, it usually ends one of two ways: either he goes or you go. There is no compromise. That "competition" was s complete sham rigged to make Mackenberg the starter. Petty should have been released during training camp/pre-season as he's the fall guy for the last part of 2016. The team couldn't have possibly quit so it had to be Petty's fault. Petty is the worst QB ever to suit up for a game according to the HC and some of the homers on this board. They would be wise to remember how Bret Farve sucked in Atlanta.

14. grkmanga31

In Bowles mind it wouldn't shock me if that could be the thought process, but Maccagnan wasn't going to release Petty who's entering his 3rd year in the league. The competition pushed Hack to be the starter based on two main factors IMO, draft position and heat from the fan base and media.

When he couldn't cut it in preseason, they quickly set in place McCown who they know was more experienced, well versed in the offense, etc.

Petty may see time this season, but I don't know if it'll mean anything in the grand scheme of things. It's pretty clear to me at least that Bowles does not think Petty nor Hack is any good.

15. Cman68

Its pointless to play Petty as they would be giving him prime time to audition for his next team. I hope they play McCown the rest of the season, then sign him for 5 more years at 10mil per. guaranteed.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Petty lit up the 3rd stringers because that is all the chance he got. so that doesn't mean shit. The so called vet Mac is hiding behind couldn't lit up shit against arguably the worst pass defense in the league. He was disgusting.
    So help me God I hope Petty finds himself a team with a HC that knows something about offense and becomes a starter and proves this massively incompetent, over their head CS how stupid they really are.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He might not believe in the young QB, but I sure as hell believe on a young, smart HC that is not stuck in the fifties.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. Cman68

You and me both LA. I hope Petty catches on with a team in the AFC too. ;)

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could be right, but I think it's more a matter of Bowles doesn't want to trust a young QB and/or doesn't think that either Petty or Hack are ready to play. It may have nothing to do with his not thinking that they any good.

He knows what he has in McCown and that gives him a level of security and confidence. Hack definitely isn't ready. Petty is an unknown. Even if he's ready and capable of playing, he doesn't have the experience that McCown does and that could cost the team a win. We all know that Bowles is coaching for his career, and quite possibly his next HC opportunity, if not to remain the HC of the Jets. Every win is important to him. He could care less if Petty turned into the next Kurt Warner with some playing time.

Even if he doesn't think Petty is any good, he knows that Petty was a 4th round pick, so Bowles could be at least partially blinded by that and have written Petty off for that very reason before he even saw Petty take a snap. He may still see Petty's struggles last year in his mind and have completely forgotten or not cared that Petty played with little or no practice, Gailey's game plans sucked, and the team had pretty much quit by the point Petty played. Petty still won a game (which I think was a comeback win), put up points and showed at least some promise.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

He’s playing it right. The Jets know that the QB of the future is not on the roster at this point, and McCown’s presence is good for the rest of the guys in the huddle. That said Petty & Hack will get an opportunity once the Jets are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. My guess is that it will be Hackenberg and that the Jets will plan to dump Petty in the offseason to make room for another rookie QB.

Do I think Hack is better than Petty? Nope, but he’s got an extra year on his contract.

21. grkmanga31

A week or so ago he did say he saw the young Qb's in the summer and that McCown was his starter. Bates double down on the statement by saying the NFL isn't like Triple A, I think the coaching staff thinks McCown is clearly the best option.

I want to see Petty and Hackenberg play as much as the next person, I just don't know if Bowles has any confidence in their ability. He clings to veterans till the wheels fall off so I think he's going to try to hang on to McCown for as long as he can. He's coaching for his job after all because these losses like the one against the Bucs won't look good to CJ at seasons end.