Jets have the worst CENTER play in the NFL today and it's trickling down to the guards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 101GangGreen101, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If we don't get the QB, then we need to build the offensive line otherwise this team is going nowhere on offense. If theres no QB or pass rusher then we either need to pick OL or trade down to get the best available one.

We were good in 2009 and 2010 because of our O-line with Mangold, Ferguson, Faneca, and Woody. Our offensive line has gotten worse every year since. The good thing is that we already have good young recievers in Enunwa and Anderson.

tbruner12 likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

jets got a shot to get both done, upgrade the interior line. I think Shell and even Beachum can be decent for at least another year, though I would like to get more competition for the LT spot.

Gotta get that QB tho, this is the year. FA will be huge for the Jets.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yeah the guards have been inconsistent but that maybe due to how bad Johnson has been. I think the Jets can live with the guards but a center and at least a young Tackle to eventually take over for Beachum

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Nelson is a hell of a guard. maybe we can get him in the 2nd. double up on O-linemen like we did safeties this year.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I did say he was doing a decent job, he has 14 total starts in the NFL, and by the way where was PFF and this outrage last game against the Bills when jets oline made Forte look like he's worth keeping around?

How about this stat, Winters has 7 penalties leading Jets offensive linemen and he was gifted with a 3 year contract.

All of a sudden PFF is the baramoter by which we need to gauge players?

Mcown sucks as a QB, that's what the problem is, penalties have been killing this offense and they have been on ASJ, Winters, Johnson is no HOF player, but he is not the reason Jets offense sucks.

Everyone on that line can be improved but we don't need PFF to tell us that!

Maybe if Mac did his job and started drafting good OL players with high draft picks things would be different. How's Cam Robinson doing in Jacksonville?

For all those who thought he could not run block, look at how good Fournette looks running behind Robinson, the Jags are a good QB away from being a perennial playoff contending team.

Jets could be the same if they draft Olinemen early and not in the 5th and 6th rounds.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

mac knows nothing about centers, if he did he would have drafted one when he decided to let mangold go..he knows so little about football period that he still thinks you win by drafting two safeties in a row.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Wait...

Did you hear that sound ?

That was 1000 TGG FQB selectors exploding :D

Red Menace likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That's a fair point. Haha.

9. 101GangGreen101

Oh, Johnson is definitely the reason why. I used PFF to help back-up what I saw on the field and I saw a C that couldn't identify blitzes and help set the protection. Wesley Johnson, he's been beaten too many times, I saw it against the Browns. Both gaps are available and Johnson just stands there doesn't hit anyone, yes the guards aren't doing their best, but the C is the first line of communication on that line. He's a competitor, just doesn't have what it takes. The position must be upgraded in order to bring any stability to that line. Jets upgrade the center and the line instantly will become better, not great but much better.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I was thinking Winters was more of the problem, I even talked about resigning him (Johnson) just recently. He would have been the last of the 6 or 7 I want to extend or resign but it was pointed out to me how bad he looked so I paid closer attention this week. All I can say is I was way off the mark.

#30 The Waterboy, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  11. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Brandon Shell at RT sucks too. Biggest priorities this offseason should be C and RT

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I was thinking about McGlinchey also if the Jets pick around 7-10 and there is no QB worth the pick and I know it was only one game but he wasn't looking good against Miami Saturday.

BrowningNagle and Red Menace like this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

PFF is a reactive analysis tool, it's like me saying the stock market had a bad day the day after it had a bad day.

The offense as a whole has been average but Mcown is responsible for about 1/3 of his sacks because he doesn't throw the ball away, he has terrible pocket awareness, and has been a below average QB his whole career.

I have no problem with the jets replacing Johnson but for a guy with 14 games under his belt, I feel he's been ok especially after replacing one of the best centers in the game.

If anything Morton should be blamed for not putting 2 guys on Mcoy the whole game, he was a force the whole game and killed Winters.

I hope Mac addresses the line this year though, it's been neglected for some time and it shows.

14. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

I see a repeat of your 2008 award in your not too distant future...

15. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This is a bit of a unique position the Jets find themselves in? The Jets have been spoiled for about the past 18 years altogether. Between Kevin Mawae and Nick Mangold, Jets fans haven't had many concerns about the Center position.

But one thing is for sure, Mac has done pretty much ZIPPO in regards to the OL. In 2016, he had a chance to grab a blue chip lineman, but instead he got cheap and never executed the trade. If Mac does not come out of FA, having almost 80 million on the books, without at least one OL then I think he just doesn't really give a shit about the OL. I'll feel that he's one of those guys that thinks you can save money by going with a lot of 7th round experiments for the OL. Besides Shell, who has Mac actually drafted that is contributing for this team?

God forbid he's actually that kind of guy? Like how I always thought Terry Bradway was?

But if he is one of those guys that doesn't believe in investing top money to get a formidable OL then I hope Woody realizes he has a Terry Bradway clone and fires Mac.

Red Menace and Royal Tee like this.
  16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

It's the #1 Priority in the NFL but gets overlooked so many times.
    The Beatings some of these young QB's take because of inadequacies of an O-Line is a career killer.

ChrebetCrunch and grkmanga31 like this.
  17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

We had the right formula when we drafted mangold and Brick, we deviated under Rex and focused on defense and have suffered from the same mindset since. The QB is the most important position on the field, if you can’t protect him you’re already at a disadvantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K'OB, FJF and Royal Tee like this.
  18. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Good point. What's the two biggest sins that College HC's teach their young QB's about the red zone?

1) Do NOT turn the ball over. You're already in scoring positions and when the drive ends you MUST come away with points.

2) Do NOT take Sacks. That will compromise the teams chances to score. Geno Smith sucked like that also. He took so many sacks that took the offense out of scoring position. It pissed me off to no end.

Unfortunately, Josh McCown takes sacks in the red zone. So to put a finer point on this argument, I would say. Josh McCown has terrible SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. And it has definitely had an impact on the how the OL appears to be performing. But I still believe very much so that improving at the QB spot is necessity and improving the OL is equally necessity.

LAJet and Red Menace like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

It is a reactive analysis tool, that's why I was using it to back-up what I saw on the field. I figured he was the worst in the league, but the stats support it and the interior pressure has killed the Jets on several occasions this year. How do you think Myles Garrett got his first sack on his first rep?

McCown doesn't get rid of the ball either, but that still doesn't dismiss the fact that Johnson is an awful center that can't identify the blitz. I think he's subpar at best in the run game as well. We don't have good tackles either in terms of the run game. I miss the days where we blew defensive lineman off the ball, it seems those days are so long ago.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

I dunno, as much as i hate the O-line play and McCown, if teams are stacking the box to stop the run and our WR are still not getting open are we just left with basically laterals for no gain, sacks and 2 yard runs that we see, I mean, the whole offense stinks from top to bottom imho not just the O-line. No easy fixes here at all.