Austin Safarian-Jenkins appreciation thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by oldrover, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

How can you be so sure that Gronk's off-field carousing hasn't affected his play?

Remember Mickey Mantle?

2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

He handles his interviews nicely. Even when the reporters keep asking him the same alcohol questions...
    That aside, he threw some serious shade @TB...especially @Koetter

But the way he handles himself right now ...with all the BS in his life..wow.

Then, He's ballin on a pro bowl level...only 25..... and WANTS to be here! When the FUK does that happen to us?

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/v...Be-a-Jet/b01a9acc-4b76-438d-9145-bf9012bc842a

Walt White and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A real versatile TE with hands...on the JETS?!?!

If he keeps this up I may become a Rasta-Safarian!

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I do say, the original observation noted "funny" and "well-received", a conspicuously contradictory description of the aforementioned Junc

FJF likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Wow, some vulture journalist instincts there, I thought the wankers that do our football were bad but this cunt takes the biscuit, I have plenty of respect for ASJ to keep his cool under repeated questioning, what do they want him to say, damned muck raking scummers.

Walt White, NCJetsfan and Royal Tee like this.
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

ASJ certainly seems to have gotten his shit together.

I'd love to re-sign him, but for how much?
    Market suggests a good 8M plus annually. That's a lot of money considering he isn't exactly a difference maker.

If they go that high, Mac needs to do his usual by adding a 2yr team escape clause.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. The Waterboy

I think $8M a year is quite a bit too high. He has been a nice addition but still only averaging 31 yards a game. I would hope they keep the offer to $6M a year at most, that puts him just below what Julius Thomas and Jason Witten will be making next season.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. K'OB

He can't get more than what he is thrown, if he is averaging 31 yards a game, he is another target that could be better utilised imo, the fact we haven't had a legitimate TE for a long time means I don't want to lose a potential beast player and certainly not for a piddling 2m a season, at 25 yo if we could tie him up for 5 more years, with a contract that averaged out at 8m a year or less then I would be delighted, best case scenario we tie up a player that looks like he is genuinely grateful to the Jets for giving him another chance at a career and we could be rewarded with his best years in return.

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

$6-7 mil per does seem a lot more in line with his contributions.
    They should consider getting the extension done this season. If he chooses to test the market someone will overpay.

If we end up playing an inexperienced QB, a two way TE would be a big help to them.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Sign this beast yesterday. He's on the rise.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Yup, another weapon for the jets FQB to use whenever they find him and one less hole to fill.

Don't forget Legget, I'm sure with ASJ as his mentor that makes a good combination of TE Jets don't have to worry about for a while.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

don't forget eric "mvp" tomlinson ... I swear that dude shows up at the most opportune moments, he's done such a great job for us.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I can see a 3 year, $15 mill type deal with 4-5 mill signing bonus for ASJ.

The Jets are fortunate because didn't they draft Jace Amaro the same year?? Yikes, what a disaster...Then by chance they took a chance on ASJ and it has reaped benefits.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. The Waterboy

No, you can't get more than you are thrown and likewise he isn't going to get paid for what he hasn't produced. I'd rather the team doesn't throw away an extra $2M on a TE that has actually yet to truly prove he is worth $8M. Just because the team hasn't bothered to throw to the TE for the last 2 seasons now people are going a little overboard with the praise because he has 221 yds in 7 games. When Jace Amaro had 234 yds over the 1st 7 games of 2014, if anyone would have started an appreciation thread they would have been laughed at.

I see you gave the best case scenario and neglected the worst case scenario. Like he goes back to to how he produced in TB or even if he keeps producing as he has been this year, you then have them paying a guy like a top 8 TE when 505 yds a season puts him in the company of the 18th-20th best producing TE

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. The Waterboy

$6.5M a year puts him around 15th or so highest paid TE, accounting for a couple of others that might get more than that like Brate. 15th highest paid seems about right just as long as they have an out.

16. K'OB

Just why would I mention a worst case scenario ?

It is depressing enough in here at the best of times, I deleted it by the way this is what I deleted "If he performs of course" I deleted it because I thought that it went without saying tbh.

Did you just compare him to Amaro btw o_O and of course the simple answer to going back to how he performed at TB, well that was quite good wasn't it, well before he sunk into alcoholism, so unless he goes back down that route we should be just fine.

You pay him what he is worth, maybe if you like him and his attitude you pay a little bit more, like I said he can only catch what he is thrown, his current yardage does not make him a worse TE, now if he was dropping and spurning chances every game then that becomes a problem, is he dropping and spurning chances or are they just not utilizing him correctly atm ?
    Think of the future and a brand new shiny shit scared FQB and a nice go to TE called SFJ waiting to catch 8-10 balls a game, lovely ;)

17. The Waterboy

I didn't compare him to Amaro, I pointed out that there was no praising Amaro when he put up more yardage than ASJ has in the same number of games to start 2014 (I know how this place is so I will just say I don't think Amaro was better than ASJ). I just think the lack of a passing game to the TEs over the last 2 seasons has made people over value what ASJ has done and I don't see how he should be paid like a top 10 TE when he is producing the 21st highest YPG.

How he performed in TB? He had 221 yds his rookie season in 9 games, had 338 yds in his 2nd season over 7 games and then was cut last year. Maybe he flashed potential in a game here and there but I wouldn't call it quite good. I have no problem with them extending ASJ but for $8M a year I want someone with a lot more production, that is why I still think the number should be closer to $6M a year.

18. K'OB

In his flash game did he not get 200+ yards and 2 TD's ?

It was something like that as I had him in a fantasy team and I am also sure it was game week 1 of the season and then he either was under used or became an arse with drink and dropped off the map at TB.

Still I feel you are still wanting to look at a darker angle of it and all for what 1.5m or 2m salary in the larger scheme of things it hardly makes much difference, of course if we lost him hypothetically for 1.5m all we would be doing is gambling on another TE coming in cheaper and still having a similar potential as ASJ, because that is what it is at the end of the day "potential" maybe the management will be happy to pay him 8m in the knowledge that is they want to throw the ball is way more often, then they have a player capable of delivering TD's and yardage, who knows though.

Also as a final aside, the figure of 8m is purely specualation on here remember, so there is no point in us arguing the toss one way or the other until we know how much he wants or how much we have offered ;)

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

What happened with Leggett? I wasn't paying attention to him. I looked backed at a scouting report and Nolan Nawrocki had him going in round 2 I believe.

Between ASJ, Tomlinson, and Leggett, TE could be an incredible team strength next year.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Legget went on ir. A knee I think. Looking forward to see him next season, he was my favorite pick this year. Was shocked he lasted to the 5th

Walt White likes this.