Josh Rosen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'm a bit concerned that 2 teams who are slated to pick 1 & 2 in the 2018 draft, attempted to trade or successfully did trade for a QB. Does not bode well for a QB class that was touted as one of the best in a long time.

Rosen looks to be good but his attitude has to change and in NYC the media will be all over him for his outspoken ways.

Jets may feel as if getting a QB through the draft isn't the best way to go and will try their best to land one in FA.

FJF likes this.
  2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Arm strength is overrated. As long as they have a minimum quality of arm strength, which I believe Mayfield does, then give me the QB with a brain and a chip on their shoulder.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I see Mayfield's benchmark as Russel Wilson and I think Wilson was miles better in terms of being a prospect

4. xxedge72x

Statistically at least, they are close (keeping in mind season isn't over for Mayfield yet):
    • Stat: Wilson - Mayfield
    • Cmp: 907 - 912
    • Att: 1489 - 1329
    • Pct: 60.9 - 68.6
    • Yds: 11720 - 12608
    • Y/A: 7.9 - 9.5
    • TD: 109 - 111
    • INT: 30 - 27
    That said, I never watched Russell Wilson play college ball, so it is really hard for me to make an assessment from that standpoint.

5. 101GangGreen101

Mayfield's got intangibles no doubt, but doesn't have the arm talent you want in a QB. Statistics aside, he'll go in the 3rd round.

6. xxedge72x

Fine by me. I'd rather Mayfield in the 3rd or even 2nd over Rosen / Darnold top 10.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Rosen is just a kid and there is no perfection in life

Dude is a real talent imo

As I recall another famous Jets QB named Joe also had plenty of attitude, style, and cotroversy ..now how did that deal end up??

Ahahaha

8. 101GangGreen101

Definitely Darnold for sure, but not Rosen.

I would actually double dip if possible. Get Rosen or Jackson in the first and Mayfield in the 3rd or 4th.

9. xxedge72x

Only issue I have with this is I don't really think Mayfield will last that long. Mahomes had similar 3rd-4th projections last year and I think Mayfield will experience the same sort of climb that Mahomes did last year.

Bottom line is, Mayfield is largely ignored right now because he wasn't invited to the initial hype train, but when draft season rolls along and draft reporters really begin to dig in, I think his stock will begin to climb and more accurately reflect what NFL teams will see.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could easily be correct. I don't think Mayfield will make the top 10-15 picks unless he blows the lid off of the rest of the season, wins the Heisman Trophy and then blows the lid off the Combine unless some team falls in love for him or is desperate for a QB, but I could see him climbing into the 2nd half of the 1st round.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

But the difference between Mahomes and Mayfield are astronomical in terms of skill-sets. Mahomes has elite arm strength. At best Mayfield has an average arm, someone brought up Jeff Garcia before, seems like a decent comparison. Mayfield, maybe more accurate. You look at Mayfield, you see maybe Manziel.

I don't think Mayfield is ignored by any stretch of the imagination. I would draft him, but not in round 1.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The report of Rosen "MAYBE" showing a negative attitude has to be considered, but also not overblown. He's a kid. Yes, he does have a reputation for being "hard to coach" because apparently he just doesn't swallow whatever he's told, but frankly I like that in him. I do think that all of this may cause his draft stock to slide and maybe we have a shot at him still. But given how Macc apparently requires a Written Guarantee that a QB will succeed before he drafts one, he'll probably pass on him and take the BPAD, which we "know" all come with signed Certificates of Success. :rolleyes:

There in NO SUCH THING as the "perfect QB" (or player)! You take the guy who you think can lead your team to success. Given his record so far, Rosen has done that, despite questionable talent around him, which is the situation he'd be coming into here. If he's there when the Jets pick, the Jets need to grab him and not look back.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. xxedge72x

A lot of people wouldn't take Mahomes because of the system he was coming out of. All it takes is one front office to believe in what they are seeing. Given recent history of QBs slipping that maybe should not have, I think the odds are going up that if even one team believes, they'll pull the trigger.

I agree Mahomes is a better prospect. I don't think Mayfield will go top 10. But I think he will surprise many people with where he does end up.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Josh Rosen update, Nov. 4 vs. Utah: DNP (again).

Looking at the "can't miss kid" it's interesting to note he's only played in 12.5 of UCLA's last 20 games.
    Sounds more like the "does miss kid."

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

* bump *

from the greatest thing since sliced bread to crickets to radio silence? ......c'mon, TGG'ers, pick it up!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Hey @joe I was wondering when you were going to put up Falks numbers for last week.

Or are you just waiting for him to have an average week to do so?

...:rolleyes:

I'm actually worried that this kid might have a short nfl career, he's in concussion protocol this week and has not passed the test required to be cleared. Hope he can stay healthy this weekend if he plays.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, was I supposed to? . . I mean, when have I ever "put up Falk's numbers for the week?"

That's right, I haven't (let alone in a Josh Rosen thread).

Attn: TGG: Luke Falk's numbers for last week: 3 TDs, 1 Int.

We good? ; )

edit: as far as the concussion concerns go (and no one likes to see that), for a guy who's predominantly a pocket passer, Mike Leach should "get the ball out of his hands quick" as Falk's bread and butter aren't his legs.

#297 joe, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You are the man, and of course I wouldn't expect you to post Falks number in a thread for Rosen.

My comment about concussion was about Rosen not Falk by the way, last I read Rosen had not passed concussion protocol exams.

19. 101GangGreen101

Who said this? I don't think anyone said this at all, c'mon Joe. Still fundamentally a better passer than Darnold.

#299 101GangGreen101, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

When it comes time to select the QB,IMO it takes an enormous amount of coordination between the GM, the HC and OC. They have to be completely in sink as to the type of guy that fits the system ( or change the system) and what is expected of the coaching staff to develop him properly. Not just expected of them but demanded.
    With Gailey and Bowles that did not happen at all with either Bryce or Hack. There was no plan nor a commitment to develop them. Thus, non withstanding some of the gurus on this site viewpoints, after 3 years we really don't know shit about either one's potential moving forward.

That kind of BS needs to stop or the next kid will be exposed to the same type of passive resistance and no exposure whatsoever.
    The 1970 " Fitz/McCown/fill in the blank vet" gives us the best chance to win is pure BS. That was Fisher nonsense move with Goff. You can expect a rookie to take his lumps. Let it be.
    Look at the difference a real offensive minded coach can make. Goff is lighting them up after a year of shear agony.
    When it comes to QB, we better steal a page from the rams......not the Browns. What fits the Jets is far more important than anything when it comes to select a QB. If the GM/HC/OC don't know or agree on that we are doomed.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.