Josh McCown ruined this season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Oct 29, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

He's playing lights out right now. Without him this team is 1-7 right now and in position for Rosen or Darnold.

Because of Josh McCown we will have to give the tank one more shot next year.

This time do it right and start Hackenberg or Petty.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The team is a few peices away from contending with Mcown playing the way he is.But Fitz did the same shit

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The worst thing is you can claim that McCown is playing decent and the reason why we are competitive, but on the other hand you can point out that he has actually cost us by his play in big spots.

Today for example, he took some sacks in big spots affecting field position/points that could have been avoided.

He is not doing enough to win, he is doing just not enough.

ajax, matt robinson 17 and FJF like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He's giving the CS a false hope that this team can be contenders for a PO spot. Nothing could be further from the truth. So far this FO/CS has learned nothing from Fitz 1.0 and 2.0. I can actually see them giving McCown another 1 year deal next year thinking they can contend with a tweak here and there.

McCown is Fool's Gold.

5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Perfect analogy and we all know who the fool is.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Completely disagree. I like what I'm seeing from this team. If you watch the rest of the league you can see how close we are. Through 8 games, we've trailed by more than 10 points once ... vs the Raiders. Look around. Teams are getting the snot beat out of them all over the league every week. Other than that Raiders disaster, we've been in position to win every game. Give these young guys the rest of this season to jell, and with any kind of respectable QB play next season, we'll be fighting for a playoff spot.

hornblower, tbruner12, Dom and 2 others like this.
  7. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

Dude, stop it, please.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Where are we supposed to get that respectable QB play? McCown is playing as well as he's ever played, which means at age 39 next season he'll come crashing back down to Earth like Fitz did. We need a real QB and without the top pick, Mac will have to do more than just hope the consensus top QB isn't a bust. And so far Mac has shown zero ability to evaluate young QBs.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I very much concur with your assessment with one BIG proviso. Yes we are close at a lot of positions, and yes the team is really jelling as a unit. And yes we have been in a position to win most games. But the primary reason we are not is because of poor to horrendous coaching particularly on the defensive side of the ball. We have been out coached and out played and completely out schemed in the second half of every game both offensively and defensively. To add insult to injury our penalties are dismal and momentum killers.
    We are totally unable to pin point the problem fast enough and adjust accordingly on the fly.
    Are we one QB and a couple of pieces away? for sure. But first and foremost we need a HC and a DC that knows what to do with them.

10. truthbtold

I liked what I saw from Petty last year, I like what I saw from him in the Summer, and if they would give the kid a fair shot, he'd play good enough for us to contend. That aside ... if we want a QB bad enough there are QBs available to be had.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Where is that respectable QB play coming from? If we draft a rookie he will likely struggle. If we sign yet another never-was vet he will have to learn the system. Or is it deluding ourselves that McCown is the answer?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. truthbtold

As I've always said ... I believe we can win with Petty. If the FO doesn't think so, then go out and get Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. Worst case ... If McCown gives us exactly what he's giving us now, I'll take that. What we REALLY need is a goddamn pass rush.

13. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Without McCown we wouldn't have any hope of developing any offensive skill players soo... theres that

tbruner12 and FJF like this.
  14. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The QBs next year are nowhere near the caliber of the ones this year. This was a once-in-a-decade opportunity the Jets were gifted and they blew it.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

You really trust the JETS to build a young player up? I'm sorry the player is not the solution here

16. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, the better solution is firing the ownership. So, until you figure out how to get that one accomplished, the next best solution is the player. And we need a All Pro caliber QB because we haven't had one in 45 years.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I'm also happy that the offense as a whole is getting a chance to grow.

Now if our McCown finishes the year as our QB I will no longer be happy. But in the mean time this is playing out ideally. We're staying competitive and still losing games.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

boozer32 likes this.
  18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’m not sure if we’ll miss a QB in the draft. I’m expecting Macc to go full Ditka in a shootout with Buffalo for Cleveland’s pick.

It would have been much easier and cheaper just to tank properly.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Cman68

You're saying McCown is the answer then? Frankly, I doubt if this CS can develop a QB so as I've said, they should avoid drafting them and just lease them on the FA market. Fitz2.0 was Fool's Gold as well.

#19 Cman68, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  20. Cman68

I bet you said the same thing with Fitz2.0 too.