I have diabetes.

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 24, 2017.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it was a joke dude. relax.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

someone's always gotta be that guy

3. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Good luck DWC! Diabetes sucks ass.

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Diabetes is terrible. I worked for a Board Certified foot surgeon for years, and one of her specialties within that was diabetes/diabetic wound treatment. Some things cannot be unseen. Most of her patients were Type I, but also tons of Type IIs. It was astonishing how many people had it, but the non-compliance was twice as astonishing, especially when something as simple as just taking a daily walk around the block and not eating pizza topped with Snickers bars could be a life saver. Or a limb saver. A very close friend of mine, he's a big guy. He starting getting moody as F, dizzy spells, did the smart thing and went to the Dr. Type II. He lost close to 50 lbs. and has kept if off for 10 years. He's a fitness animal of sorts now. Type II will always be in the rear-view mirror, but it's beyond manageable. His numbers are consistently within normal range.

Not trying to be sexist here, but facts are facts. Men were by far the greater offenders with non-compliance. As in practically no comparison. Factor in that it can wear people down so much that they just stop caring. Also factor in that it was often prefaced by denial followed by non-compliance and sometimes the other way around. In the 11 yrs. that I worked there, I can't even tell you how many people lost digits and limbs. And their lives.

Three bits of advice. One: CHECK THE SOLES OF YOUR FEET AND THE BOTTOM OF YOUR TOES DAILY! Especially if you have full-blown neuropathy or polyneuropathy. A small wound from tissue breakdown just from the weight of your body can go straight down to the bone faster than a hot spot spreads on a dog. The problem is, you don't feel it, that's why check the soles your feet . . . It's a simple routine, and it sucks a whole lot less than wound management. Or losing a freaking foot. Second bit of advice: ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID. It does wonders for neuropathy/numbness and does good work on blood sugar and insulin resistance for Type II. Consult with your Dr., but it ain't no bullshit. Third bit of advice: PROBIOTICS, PROBIOTICS, PROBIOTICS. There is a boatload of info out there on both ALA and probiotics for Type II, all of it beyond credible. Fecal transplants, read up on that, too. It's some interesting shit. Heh.

And OP, why would anyone be embarrassed about diabetes? Why would anyone find that emasculating somehow? It doesn't even make any sense. Keep up the good fight. Much luck to you.

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Good thread, DWC. Almost everybody on my Dad's side of the family has Type II, and I've seen what happens when you go un-diagnosed (a grandfather and an aunt), when don't take it seriously (an uncle and a great-uncle), when you actively, masochistically sabotage your own body with food (another uncle), and, conversely, when you follow your doctor's guidance to the letter (grandmother, father).

My grandmother is 91 and by strictly following a simple diet, experiences negative effects less than half a dozen times a year--according to her, and those are really quite minor (numbness, minor swelling, etc.)

I get tested every few years, and I'm clear so far, but I have been very cautious about my diet for the last dozen years, and have been pushing myself toward a more strict exercise schedule as I get older. My goal is to minimize my risk of ever getting to that point, but also to already have the right diet and habits in place so that if the diagnosis comes, I will already be acting in my body's best interest.

Mom's side is a huge family with no cases of Diabetes whatsoever, so I have a chance. Of course, they have an extensive history of massive heart failure. I'm a Jets fan, so I'll probably end up with both.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

7. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I was looking into some stuff a few months back. Turns out that while sugar can play a role, processed meats has a lot to do with it. I do not have diabetes so take it for what it is worth. But, apparently, salt can have a big impact and there is supposedly a misconception that sugar is the main culprit. People that stopped eating processed meats (lunch meats, etc.) had a drastic improvement in their condition.

#47 Martin&theJETS, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah..when I read the label on my lactose free milk, I was shocked how much salt and Potassium was in the Lactaid brand. I still use the Walmart brand for my coffee but coffeemate is the healthiest option strange as it sounds.

9. Dierking

Overfed, overmedicated. God fucking bless America

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

They keep on poisoning Americans with too much sugar and salt and nobody will be standing for the NA. We'll all be in walkers or motorized wheelies.

11. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

When they came for the treacherous murdering dogs, I said nothing.

Then they came for me.

tiger8mush likes this.
  12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

DWC, remember: water, water, water....... and when you can, think good thoughts . . .
    sincere best wishes to you and your loved ones..

we gotta get you a goat

relax..

13. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

So, you're saying that pizza topped with Snickers bars is a bad thing?

Gotta write that down. ;)

Seriously, thanks for the post. Lots of good advice.

14. jetophile

Diabeetus was inevitable. Better yet, Blair from 'The Thing': "There's nothing wrong with me, and if there was, I'm all better now."

#54 jetophile, Oct 25, 2017
  15. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

One problem I've had with trying to get smart on this subject is there seems to be no consensus, and very little in the way of true clinical testing.

Just a lot of broad anecdotal stuff.

That being said, I have read a lot of things that attribute sugar and processed meats to the risk of atherosclerosis, which has been my problem.

16. jetophile

OK, I couldn't help myself. Goddamn it.

17. Dierking

Its a curious and ironic phenomenon that, no matter how unhealthy one might be, there is really no limit to how much you will criticize professional athletes.

18. jetophile

Fukk you Alanis Morrissette.

EDIT & P.S.: I'm the typo Queen of the Milky Way, but fukk her again. I can spell recommend, commitment, and Mississippi with one eye closed. What a bitch.

#58 jetophile, Oct 25, 2017
  19. Dierking

I’m no doctor, but I’m pretty sure rambling incoherent jibberish is a sign your blood sugar is dangerously low

20. jetophile

Jibberish vs gibberish debate, I'm in. I was screwing around. I think the only people who understand me are my dead parents. And even that's halfy/halfy.

#60 jetophile, Oct 25, 2017