I have diabetes.

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 24, 2017.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes. I was mentally freaking out when nurses and doctors told me i may never get my feeling in my right foot back again. I started to complain to the doctors and nurses. One nurse told me there's a 90% chance I'll never re-gain feeling. I couldn't stop complaining. I knew diabetes i could beat but no feeling in my foot? Nah. I told the doctors to amputate my foot right then and there. It was too much for me to handle. One doctor told me I'll have to "deal with it" and when my wife heard him say that to me she immediately flipped out and explained to them that I'm becoming overwhelmed and the information I'm receiving is destroying me emotionally.

Only one nurse gave me hope. An older black woman. I'm going on Saturday to bring her a card to thank her. She sat at my bed side at 3am. She seen i was upset. She told me i had great color and circulation. She promised me. Once my blood sugar went down that i'd re-gain my feeling. I'll never forget that lady she gave me hope while the younger doctors/nurses gave me fear and she was right. As my blood sugar went down my nerves rejuvenated and my foot became perfect again. Those couple of days at home after the E.R with my foot still numb was the worst but that one nurse gave me strength through hope given.

You got this Cidusii. I gained my nerves back. P.Manning gained his nerves back. The power of positive thinking never let a naysayer tell you otherwise.

What made me feel ashamed of myself? Here i was complaining about my foot being numb. I didn't know until after i was released to go home but the man in the same room as me but on the other side? He was going to hospice. To die. Bone cancer. Before i left. I told him sorry for keeping him awake. He asked me. First time being sick? I said yes. He asked me for a hug. As i hugged him he said it's o.k and that he's been praying for me. I cried because i knew the truth. He only throught he was going to a vacation home but in reality he was leaving to die. Bone cancer. I realised that someone always has it worse than others just wish i wouldn't have complained so much.

tiger8mush, ajax and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Thank you Cman60. I appreciate that more than i can explain with words.

Last weekend i took my daughter to check her blood sugars. I was scared she had it too. I would give my life with a bullet to my head if it meant she wouldn't also have it. I got on my hands and knees and cried tears of joy when the doctor let me know she's perfect. My wife too. Perfect. I was so weak as i waited the results for both but a new man thereafter.

I only been to trade school to become an Electrician as well as electrical engineering. And all for not because i disliked every aspect of it so for the past couple of years I've worked for a college referral service helping people get back to school as an education advisor. But now I've found my passion. I plan on going to college for the health care and medical field in order to become a nutritionist. I love my nutritionist she's the most amazing caring person I've ever met outside of my immediate family and loved one's. She's gave me knowledge and has changed my life. I have no idea how much she makes but i couldn't care less i dream of one day helping children and people such as myself with health nutrition advice and information. This is still new to me. I maybe know 2% of what my nutritionist knows but in due time I'll learn and make it my life mission to educate. Thank you for the Sticky. You're a class act. Thank you.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

30 year or so type 2. Eat a ton of meat or protein. Keep your weight down & work out. I go to the gym 6 days a week & you should live a long life. Naturally shrink your weight & stay away from any type of sugar. Also stay away from alcohol because it does not work well with your meds. Good luck with your handling of the disease :mad:

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

You give me hope. 30 years? Ay. You've been doing something amazing. Thank you ChampionJets69.

I've never been over weight. Ever. If anything always 5 or so lbs under. I always thought that diabetes only happened to obese people or with a family history of diabetes. I was wrong. No one in my immediate family has ever had it and I've never been overweight.

I don't look at diabetes as a bad thing. I consider it my blessing. Because it's going to make me live longer than i would have. The ways i was eating high carbs, sugar in my soda and juices, sugar in my cerial, white bread and potatoes galore, not working out etc etc i wouldn't have made it to 50 (32 as of today) but now I'm confident that I'll at least live into my 80's while eating right and exercise with lots of water. I'm actually happy i have diabetes because if not i would've continued self destruction with my eating of bad foods.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

I have no idea what the treacherous Islamic murdering dogs part meant? But nonetheless thnx you Dierking for the eating well and exercising wishes. I've got more people than just myself to live for so the eating well and exercise is a given for the rest of my life. I'll never quit.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I was cracking on brook

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Champ gives hope. The millennium has come.

8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Being open about this stuff is really important.

When I hit 50 a few years ago, I knew I needed to get the old colon checked. I am not the kind of guy who ever goes to a doctor, but Katie Couric's husband was in the news, and a buddy told me about a friend of his who also didn't want to go.

His wife made him go. His doctor told him that it was a good thing he did, too. He had something, but they caught it. If he had waited any longer, there would be nothing they could do.

After I got mine checked, I told a guy at work all about it, and how easy it was.

We weren't best buddies, so I didn't hear from him for a while. Then one day, he called and said thank you.

After our little chat, he went to get his checked. They found something, and he got it taken care of.

Awareness is a good thing. Be aware, and make good decisions.

9. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Debby Boone gives me hope . . .

#29 RPOZ51, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

There are lots of food that turn in to sugar when they reach your stomach like bread/pastas or almost any starch.. Beer cause it has yeast in it wine cause it has sugar in it from the grapes. I suggest U see a MD that does nutrition so they can inform U how to make the correct changes & educate U what foods turn into sugar in your body. Again BOL & if you make the necessary life changes U should be OK. Believe it or not apples are one fruit that when eaten turn into sugar inside your body as a example because it is natural sugar. Oh very important have a MD cut your toenails because any infection to your feet could lead to very serious situation for U :mad:

#30 championjets69, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    RPOZ51 likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this! Diabetes has really skyrocketed due to all the sugar and carbs we're consuming, so sharing your story might well help a lot of other people.

It's really hard to change your diet, but it sounds like you're committed, and once you get momentum rolling, your new lifestyle will just become normal. Good luck!

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure any alcoholic beverage converts to glucose (sugar).

13. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

You're so right.

Murdering dogs are low carb, but I was told to stay away from red meat.

Before this started for me, I was a human garbage can. I ate everything in sight. I live alone, and I have a stressful job. So, I would always eat on the run, and go for the snacks, beer and comfort food.

Then one morning, I wake up from a sound sleep with the pressure of a horse sitting on my chest - and - I'm the same age as my father and older brother were when they had their fatal heart attacks.

That's too much of coincidence.

The cardiologist told me to go vegan - so I did. Cold turkey. I tossed all the junk in my house.

I even gave away my beers.

Since August, I lost 18 pounds, and over 100 points on my bad cholesterol.

"Dying ain't much of a livin'."

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Best thread of 2017. You know it's good when it gets champ to make intelligent posts. And I've never seen champ make intelligent posts. I tip my hat to you @DefenseWinsChampionships for getting over your apprehension to share something really valuable. My best wishes for your health.

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Remember when Hornet made a feel good thread?

BrowningNagle and The Waterboy like this.
  16. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

And dont forget about the treacherous Christian murdering dogs like Stephen Paddock.
    And also stay away from any country that was founded by tracherous murdering dogs! Wow! The ignorance continues in 2017.
    Yes, there are individuals and groups that commit ungodly crimes and claim to belong to a particular faith but it doesnt mean their practice/ interpretation represents everyone who pratices thay way of life.
    Islam does not condone terrorism no more than Christianity does and before you even dare to mention any proofs agaisnt this statement realize that the Bible has as many verses that can be interpreted to support many of the past and present crimes against humanity as well.

Knowledge precedes speech and action. So many speak with narrowed perspectives and sources and choose to negate information that does not fit into their agenda.

17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. This may cause me to make a change. I'm 27 and in by no means heavy at all, but I drink soda A LOT. Actually take in way more sugar than I should.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If you start now, you will be ahead of the game when you turn 37 and in pretty good shape by the time you turn 47. I know you're still young but think ahead and you can help your future self today!

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Welcome.

You couldn't pay me enough to ever have another sip of soda. My favorite was Mt.Dew. I also loved Iced Tea, Kool-Aid and Hawaiian Fruit Punch; but never again.

What I've learned. Look. The human body is just like a car or truck. Continue to put bad fluids into our body & our bodies will break down sooner rather than later. Same with a vehicle. You can't put bad fluids, bad oil, bad transmission fluids and expect for it to not breakdown.

Ozymandias likes this.
  20. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, not a bad idea for people to get a check up every year or two especially when getting closer to 40.

P.s. Just because you are type 2 does not mean you will never need insulin. Over time your body's natural insulin production may wane, in which case pills will no longer work.

P.s. P.s. Make you sure you get your eyes checked yearly by an ophthalmologist, uncontrolled diabetes is one the leading causes of blindness.