week 6 other games thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FJF, Oct 12, 2017.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

There are 4 stages.
    From the CTE society:
    http://www.ctesociety.org/going-through-the-stages-of-cte/
    Pretty scary and very sad.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

As I said in a thread a while ago, I truly believe that this is the existential threat to football, and when a blood test for CTE is developed (and you can be sure it's coming) there's a very good chance that football will become marginalized in the same way boxing has been. The players are just too big and too fast, and their bodies in general and brains in particular cannot tolerate the punishment they take. The game will either change in a fundamental way or it will mostly disappear.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fans might not like it but for football to survive it will have to become more like rugby. Hitting will have to be banned from tackling, and linemen will have to engage while upright.

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

With each concussion you get, getting another one is easier. For his own safety, he really needs to retire. He's going to end up pretty brain damaged if he continues. He might still get away with the occasional headaches and dizziness.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Or as crazy as it sounds go back to an era without helmets. As soon as they develop a way to test for CTE while living, I'd imagine they have to make some sort of threshold for a player to continue playing.

I played football for 5 years (4 in HS, 1 in MS) and play in my schools alumni game every year around Thanksgiving time. It's damn near impossible to walk away from a any game playing in the box (linebacker/defensive end/guard), without feeling rattled a bit.

I don't know how these guys, like Kuechly, get dropped by a 300 pound offensive lineman that smashes his head into the turf at full force, and walks away from it. It's actually sort of remarkable. It's even more remarkable that no one has passed away on the field in the middle of the game.

*Knocks on wood* that that never ever ever happens.

6. HomeoftheJets

It's too dangerous to get rid of helmets. Before helmets players used to die from cracked skulls. Deaths still happen at amateur levels, but they're very rare. Kuechly should retire, but so should any NFL player who's made enough money to be set for life. Doesn't mean they will though because football's pretty awesome too. No other sport has the same combination of physicality and strategy. Which is why I think it needs to change; better to be less exciting than to go away completely.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

I suppose. But why don't we hear about Rugby players dying all the times?

The helmet is the biggest weapon in all of sports, obviously.

This is why I don't blame them for flagging anything remotely close to a helmet to helmet hit. They're trying to save the sport but also their own asses especially after paying out what like a $1 billion in that concussion lawsuit? That wasn't even enough either. The NFL got off easy.

They should guarantee life long health insurance once a player has played X amount of years in the league. It's sort of crazy that they don't or that these guys don't factor that in to their savings, but who are we to judge?

You're giving guys whom have never had to manage money in their lives millions of dollars at age 23-30. I wouldn't be thinking about taking care of my long term health. I'd be buying that $100,000 car and a matching mansion.

8. HomeoftheJets

Rugby is a different game from football. No forward passes mean fewer high-speed collisions. No first downs mean the only time players need to tackle hard is near the goal line. Etc. If you take away football helmets, the game will become more dangerous like it was before players wore them. Rather than focusing on the helmets, we need to focus on the rules and change them to make the game safer. And I'm not talking small changes either. If football's going to survive it will have to do away with hitting and leading with the head. People say players get bolder because of the helmets. But they won't get bolder if you flag them every time they try.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

But explain to me how that looks? They're trying to do that right now. I'm not being sarcastic by the way.

Any form tackle puts your head first with the face mask on the ball.

Scroll to the last minute mark to see it in full action. This is through a program I believe is called NFL JPD (junior player development) or NFL HSPD (high school player development). My school had HSPD for an offseason. It's not glamorous and it's extremely boring coaching and teaching moments. But it's so important.

Coaches try to teach this even if it's not a part of that program, but high school training camps are so abbreviated it's hard to spend a lot of time on it like this coach is.

I will also say, that even in its perfect and purest form, form tackling like this will still create head trauma. Just because you're not using the crown of your helmet doesn't mean you're not still ramming your head into the sternum of the ball carrier to complete the tackles.

I almost see no way around the head trauma issues. Think about the contact between a defensive lineman and an offensive lineman. The helmet to helmet contact is still going to be a part of the contact.

Take a look at the video above on the bullrush. There's helmet to helmet contact that would be detrimental to both the pass protector's head and the pass rusher's head. Damn near every time.

Linebackers have to account for the largest percentages of concussions in the NFL for the contact seen in the bull rush video. You have them getting a 5 yard running start at the offensive lineman with similar contact as the bull rush displays.

The scary part is that these are not the major concussions that make you woozy like you see defensive backs get for ankle biting. These are the minor concussions that one does not really feel or maybe even not concussions but consistent blows to the head that is so awful for the brain.

#29 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

11. statjeff22

Aaron Rodgers out of the game against Minnesota.

12. statjeff22

Rodgers being taken to the locker room in a cart. It really looked like a nothing play when it happened, but there is lots of panic in Wisconsin right now.

13. statjeff22

No defense in the Superdome - 14-7 Saints over Lions 10 minutes into the game.

Matt Ryan with the long TD, Falcons up 10-0 on Fins.

14. statjeff22

By the way, in case anyone wonders, I actually like talking to myself in these threads!

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Rodgers right shoulder injury

16. statjeff22

Browns decide not to cover anyone, and Houston is up 10-3.

17. statjeff22

Rodgers' replacement, Brett Hundley, throws an INT on his first pass attempt.

18. statjeff22

Wow, Cleveland is truly bad. Kevin Hogan with the mind-bogglingly bad pick 6 and Houston is up 16-3 (they miss the extra point).

19. statjeff22

Giants will have real competition from Niners and Browns for the #1 pick - those are two really bad teams.

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Hoyer benched for Beatheard

Hogan has been awful against a banged-up HOU defense