Wideouts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsGoFar, Oct 9, 2017.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

From my uneducated vewpoint its all about the QB. A great QB makes any WR better. In fact a great QB does not need a super stud #1 reciever ala Julios Jones or Brown to kick ass, although sure as hell that makes the team better. Brady destroyed the competition with Randy Moss, but he has destroyed the competition with just about anyone. Great QBs sourrounded by 2-3 all around clutch receivers can make a shit load of dammage. Aaron Rodgers, Breese and the like.
    Conversely, a great WR can do little particularly deep down the field if the QB is mediocre or average, unable to read defenses quickly and throw the rock accurately and with zip.
    We need to find our FQB first and foremost, and the likes of Enunwa, Anderson, Kerley and our rookies can grow leaps and bounds. I do not advocate spending a shit load of money on a super star WR till a no kidding QB is wearing Jets white with a touch of green.
    The fastest, highest performing racing cars are only as good as the driver, as WRs are only as good as the QB. If Enunwa was able to make Fitz good immagine what he can do with a quick release accurate QB.

#41 LAJet, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Red Menace, Mogriffjr and FJF like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's not a bad way at looking at it, but brady had his best season with moss. he also has the best TE in football with gronk. edlemen is also one of the best slot WRs in the game and before him they had welker who they traded a 2nd round pick to get. they also just traded a 1st rounder for cooks. having the QB but nobody to throw to doens't help. why do you think OAK went and got crabtree and drafted cooper. Brady is an exception so is brees and rodgers, but most QBs needs some good WRs around them. You can't develop a QB without giving him anyone to throw to

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Enunwa has potential. The Jets are currently running out there Anderson who's more of a burner who can stretch the defense and Kearse who's a possession guy. Then when you go 3 wide, you have Kerley, who's arguably the best slot WR in the game right now.

I don't mind Stewart in there but you have to mix and match him. Anderson needs to be in there because he stretches the field out...and teams can't sit on the short stuff when he's in the game...for example that fake screen play, the corner and safety bit on the screen because of Anderson's speed, and that allowed for Kearse to sneak out and get WIDE open for the TD. In previous years, IF the Jets would have ran that play, it would have been a slower WR trying to take that screen, and the defense wouldn't have bit on that play.

What I like about Morton is he matches that personnel VERY well...he puts his guys in better positions to make plays on the field. I think Morton realizes Stewart is special, so he's tried some short passes to get him going. Soon you will see him get more burn running routes.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I do like Enunwa, but he's one concussion away from hanging his cleats for good.

Franchise QB? I present some points here:

1. Robby Anderson initially clicked with Petty, not Fitzpatrick last year.
    2. That is, after Petty was basically shelved for the entire off-season and even the season until he was thrust into the lineup midway.
    3. That was Failey days - Morton seems like a very capable OC, and if he can make McCown look serviceable, I think he can make Petty look a lot better. If anything, he made big strides in the training camp this summer before going out with injury.

After all, he does deserve a [fair] shot. [Last year's performance shouldn't be used as an evidence to dismiss him. Failey failed him hard, and so did Bowles.]

LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post, but I doubt any of the resident QB experts around here will listen.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I knew I wasn't one of them. I'm glad. [I am a know-nothing after all.]

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Is it not reasonable then that they're hopeful for him and they just want to let him get some more time in yet another system under Morton while McCown helps to install the foundation? If Petty is any good what's wrong with him getting an opportunity later, or next year, when his chances to succeed become much better? If he's any good it will show. The cream always rises to the surface.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am in that camp - which is why I stated I am not bothered with Petty not getting play time this year.

Now on the other hands...

Walt White likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Man I really wish we had Enunwa this season. This team would be that much better having a big, strong,fast, physical receiver like him. It'd take a lot of pressure of Kearse as being really the only guy who is moving the chains right now.

It's also time to see Stewart get some more snaps and targets. Throw him an early screen with Kearse and ASJ lined up on the same side. See if he can break one. Everything I've seen is that the kid has the potential to be very explosive. Just need to get the ball in his hands.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He could nearly be classed as a veteran next season rather than basically a rookie that he is, what will he be 27 going 28 next season ?

Without double checking I thought he was 26yo atm.

11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Nah leave Robby where he is. He's only going to get better facing teams top corners.. when Enunwa comes back, Robby should be able to do better facing the #2 CB. I'd move Kearse to the slot, Robby's speed will keep the defense honest and he's proven he knows how to get by even some of the faster corners.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Do you think the Kearse trade would've still happened if Enunwa was healthy?

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Possibly it really wasn't about who we got at the end of the day and more to do with shipping Sheldon out, the fact we ended up with a productive WR and a 2nd or 3rd round pick (I can't remember which) is an added bonus :)

Red Menace and BrowningNagle like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

they clicked because anderson took a lot of reps with the 3rd team. but he worked his way up the depth chart, somehting petty failed to do. and even when he got a chance cause injuries he didn't do much with it

he got his 1st start week 10. we lost 6-9. he led us to 6 points. 19-32 163 yards 1 TD 1 INT 70QBR

next game he played he didn't start but in a 10-41 blowout loss he threw 11-25 (44%) 135 yards 1TD 2 INT 41QBR

next game was a start. we won 23-17 against a bad SF team. 23-35 257 yards 0TDs 1 INT 75.5QBR we won cause folk was 3/3 and powell ran for 145 yards and 2 TDs

next game was a start we lost 13-34 against miami. he was 20-36 235 yards 1TD 2INT 62QBR

last game was a start but he got hurt after 3 passes 1 of them being an INT. finished with a 0QBR going 0-3 with an INT

Overall stat line 56.4% comp, 3TDs 7INTs 60QBR

So i'm not sure why people feel he didn't get a fair shot, he's just not very good

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What part of [1st team reps during the summer camp exclusively went to Fitzpatrick] do you not understand? [And this treatment extends well beyond regular season, right up until Petty had to be thrust into the lineup.]

[I never thought this was such a difficult concept to begin with.]

P.S. Or the entire league of NFL teams are believing something very, VERY stupid - that is, if they believe 1st team reps mean important, unlike you claim here.

And that's the irony here; Jets were going to be a rebuilding team no matter what, so why didn't they divide up the 1st team reps during the summer?

Either the entire league of NFL is doing something very stupid, or Petty didn't get a fair shake. There is no grey zone here.

P.S. Keep looking at that precious stat line of yours. That will make some knowledgeable fan out of ya. [NOT]

#55 Zach, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

1st team reps are important for working on timing and building chemistry. it doens't add talent or make a QB smarter. Petty had every chance to earn 1st team reps this offseason and didn't. he also had 1st team reps in pre-season as McCown barely played so him and hack split them. he'ss till shown nothing to believe he's a starting NFL QB. your just flat out delusional.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Okay. I am delusional. Thanks.

P.S. I have started wondering when the teams install new offensive packages for the upcoming season. New elements, wrinkles and most of all, repetitions are required for the offensive outlook; I know for sure that Patriots do not recycle the past playbook [as is.]

And I don't know how a QB can get comfortable without suitable practices.

But - like you say, I am delusional. What can I say.

#57 Zach, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Right on the money. You are the voice of reasonableness, which will be totally ignored by the many self proclaimed QB gurus currently on this site. He has been found guilty of incompetence by association, and there is nothing else to be done. Gailey the dinasour destroyed this kid.
    I'm here to tell you that if we draft say Darnold, and in pre season Petty out shines the crap out of him, many would still dismiss it as a preseason fluke. But, if Petty goes to team x, and he shines, they would be the first to call Mac a moron for letting him go.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

none of that fixes the poor decisions or turnovers. and he isn't smart enough to run a "peyton manning like" offense making calls and audibles at the line. he's just another QB with a big arm and not much else going on for him. IDK what your obsession is with a career backup 4th round QB in his 3rd season who has shown nothing

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Right. Anyone who is drafted by the Jets must either perform at HoF level or has shown nothing. Right?

P.S. I see no reason to continue this drivel. First and foremost, I am not [obsessed with the kid.] My position has been, [I don't know what we have in that kid, so I'd like to see something more in a different environment.] This is what my stance toward Mike McCagnan is, believe it or not.

I just applaud your audacity in dismissing an unknown, given incomplete performance data.