Bryce Petty myth

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RichardCaster, Oct 10, 2017.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

No

James Hasty likes this.
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

All the excuses in the world don’t change the fact that Petty failed in the first chance he got, which is more chances than a lot of other QBs that were drafted in the 4th rd before him have gotten.

Let’s hope he doesn’t fail in his 2nd chance, which he will get this year.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Getting injured is not failing.

His offensive line gave him no opportunity last year.

Our bonehead coaches gave his preseason reps to Hackenberg who was clearly not ready and probably should have been red-shirted this year.

Petty had not yet given the opportunity to fail, anyone who says otherwise has not been paying attention.

4. Attackett

He got 5 starts last year and would’ve been more if he didn’t get injured which is more of a chance than most 4th rd QBs. Yes he got injured, which seems to happen a lot in Petty’s small sample size.

The OL is certainly not great but it also doesn’t look nearly as bad when a QB that makes quick decisions and recognizes where the rush is coming from is behind center.

I’m rooting hard for Petty and am looking forward to his second chance and certainly hope he shows better than he did his first chance.

FJF likes this.
  5. Attackett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

People love backup quarterbacks. Its not a Jets thing, its a football thing. Buffalo fans want Peterman in there.

Every snap Josh McCown sees, is a snap that could be going to seeing what the Jets have in the young QB's. I totally get that line of thinking.

Having said that, every snap McCown sees gives us a better look at WR's/OL. And I think thats been very beneficial as a fan. If Petty comes in and the OL looks like crap, than I will be much more inclined to take that as an indictment on Petty.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you're rooting hard for Petty. It's in ALL of our best interests that he develops and succeeds.

You can view legitimate factors and reasons as "excuses" if you want to, but imo there's a difference between the two.

#47 NCJetsfan, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

When all McCown does is throw short passes, how does that really help the WRs? In fact, he's making it harder and harder on them with each successive game, because opposing teams are putting more players in the box to stop the Jets' rushing attack and sitting on the underneath routes. The same thing happened after Chad's surgeries.

If Petty finally gets to play this season and the OL does worse, then it could be fair and reasonable to assume that Petty's not making the right line calls, but it could also be a matter that the Jets are playing better teams. The "easy" part of our schedule is over. From here on out most of the games will be a lot tougher because we'll be playing better teams who probably have better DLs and pass rushes, so it may not be a matter of it being Petty's fault at all, but rather that other teams are better and our OL needs upgrading.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Petty most likely will get another chance to prove himself this season. We'll see how he does. My bet is that he's a career backup at best.

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Well, the Jets are all about The Myth of Sisyphus, so . . .

11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

What else can be the key part of it? He was accurate, he showed touch on passes. His timing was there. That's all you can judge and it all looked good.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think he means the part where he was playing against guys that mostly sucked also.
    You know, the part that's hurts your argument?

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You're still ignoring it which is fine, but don't be surprised that you're being called out on it.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Lets forget the part where he was only allowed to play WITH guys that mostly sucked also. Yanno, the part that helps the argument?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is a pretty common yet incorrect notion. That game against the Giants were he threw for 250 yards and three touchdowns, one went to Powell (starter) and two went to Stewart (a guy we all want to play because he's talented). He was on the field with guys playing big roles for our squad against guys that are now unemployed.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and look at the big plays that happened. The personnel on the field weren't the 1's either. Stewart still isn't a starter. You gonna continue letting your Petty hate shade your view of him? Don't fall into Bowles' trap man. The kid can play, he just needs a real chance to show it. Not some sham "QB competition" either.

#56 Cman68, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The reality is that he's not as good as half the board thinks....

or sucks as bad as the other half does

;)

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I mean, that's completely irrelevant to how I graded him. I graded him on accuracy (which only he has a part in), timing, decision making.

How is it relevant who he played against if I'm just looking at things that are self-improvement?

I know when I disagree with someone, I refuse to state why. Totally logical.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Because those things are relative to the competition. Better defenders equal smaller windows,faster decisions, more precise timing. He did what he could but it still takes quite a leap of faith to project that to starting a real NFL game.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we don't start petty/hack we won't know what we have.

Apparently Bowles/Macc disagree with that, and they know EXACTLY what they have in petty/hack.

McCown beat them both out (with ease) during TC....Bowles HAD to start McCown to avoid a player mutiny. You might fool the avg fan, but you can't fool the players...they know who gives them the best shot to win, and that's ALL they care about.

Macc has no choice but to look outside 1 Jet Drive for his 2018 (and beyond) QB. My guess is he'll trade heavily in the draft to move up to get one of the top 3 QBs. Which means every win we get this season will cost us an additional 2nd round future pick.

If we win no more games (finish 3-13) we will pick 4rth, meaning Macc gives up a 2019 1st to move up 1 or 2 spots. If we pick 6th and have to move up 4 spots, we'll give up 2 1st or a 1st and two 2nds. If we finish 8-8 forgetaboutit.

Once we pass 4 or 5 wins, we're all in THIS season for the 6th WC and a prayer.