US fails to qualify for 2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Yisman, Oct 10, 2017.

1. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

That's really where they should put their focus and resources toward..immigrants and in the inner city..right now our soccer culture is suburban soft.

Brook! likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I feel bad for Tim Howard. He is a damn good goalie. Not sure how this happened..........

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I saw that number brought up in an interview and I would like to know where they came up with $2500. When my daughter played it cost about $150 for the season for travel ball. Most of the teams she played were not "elite" academies and I know none of the "elite" academies were in the semis, quarters or finals. In fact I really don't know of too many around the area. Of course there will be some that charge exorbitant amounts but I would have to say, in Florida at least, that the "elite" academies are outnumbered 25-1, probably even more like 100-1 but have no idea of exact numbers.

And many of the upper level schools and academies do close to what you mention. If a kid has talent but no money the IMG Academies and private schools will bring them in and give them a scholarship. They may not be bringing them in at 10 and shuttering them away but if that really worked don't you think Iceland would have qualified for a World Cup before 2018?

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

US soccer has the same problems as US tennis. The best athletes don't play soccer or tennis, the governing body cares more about making money than developing players, and the system is so scattershot that the best players don't train together. Also because of Title IX and a lot of male foreigners, it's very hard to men to get scholarships, which disincentives kids from playing. I was a good enough tennis player that I could have gotten a scholarship if it was like baseball or football, but I had no chance in tennis and had to play D3.

6. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Lol

JetBlue likes this.
  7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the WC and the International Tournies. The Copa America and that Euro, forget what it was called, over the summer were pretty good. Good stuff and good competition. US out of the WC doesn't change my anticipation for it. Haven't gotten into any league soccer or MLS...yet. But having never really played it, except in intramurals in Jr. High which was fun as hell, I'll never have the full understanding and appreciation that I do for Baseball, Football, and Basketball.

#27 Walt White, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  8. roger

roger Active Member

Soccer is gay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

And yet they still get paid loads more than the women's team that could run circles around them.

10. HomeoftheJets

Can we send Bruce Arena to the moon?

Yisman and JetBlue like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

Invaluable contribution there.

RuJFan likes this.
  12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I have a daughter
    calling something gay is the equivalent calling Asians "Orientals." Either you are senile or a complete dumbfuck not to know how outdated your vernacular is.

Greenday4537 likes this.
  13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You find yourself as the pivot man at a soccer team circle jerk or something?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You wanna fuck the wrong thing... as usual :)

Brook! likes this.
  15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Another Jurgen lover. RJF. I thought you knew football. That piece of shit German. What did he give to American soccer? Come on man.

16. Brook!

Good one though. :)

RuJFan likes this.
  17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

He tried to give vision that our federation was too stupid to accept. Vision of futbol becoming the suburban sport, vision of showing poor kids that they can get scholarship without spending big $$ on equipment, a path to become a dominant sport that can be appealing for all groups.

Our federation was too stupid to recognize, or too cowardly and entrenched to try. It's a shame.

I hope this disaster will lead to real change.

Yisman likes this.
  18. Brook!

He was a fucking coach. Not the Jesus for American soccer. He should have minded inside the field. He was terrible in developing players and reading the game. we picked the worst German. If we picked Capello or Lippi or Hynckes we would be in good shape. Who did we pick to lead American soccer? Jurgen fucking idiot Klinsmann. I am still mad RJF. Still mad. Until Kurdistan is in World Cup, my only team is USA.

JetBlue likes this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

bit of a boomerang you bit off there, . rog... . :D

here's something you can wrap your pins around:

Yisman, HomeoftheJets and JetBlue like this.
  20. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You're missing the point. It's not about individual picks, not about 1 in 6000 odds of not advancing.

How could T&T, a country with ~ 1/10th population of NY City beat US team?
    It can't be talent -- no way a country of >200M population has fewer potential soccer stars than anyone else.
    It's not about longevity - Cosmos with Pele in late 70s was a long time ago.

It's all about 2 things: promotion of sport and development of players.
    Especially about development!

US will never become a real power in soccer until technique improves.

Pass across the field... misses intended receiver by 5 yards.
    Accurate pass across the field ... ball bounces off the receivers' legs into possession of opponent.....
    Opponent's forward in the box closing on the net ... goalkeeper is not moving toward the attacker...

There are dozens of these mistakes all over MLS. You can not win on high level playing like this.

Yeah, you can get pressure and score an added-time qualifying goal (ex against Ghana). Or you could pick Lippi and maybe tie against T&T and advance. It all nice, but it's just masks the problem: soccer in US will never advance to high level unless promotion and development system
    changes.

Klinsmann saw it and tried to change.