Bryce Petty myth

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RichardCaster, Oct 10, 2017.

1. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

I don't get the people on this site. They act like there is some conspiracy against Petty and he never gets a chance. They see him do well against scrubs in preseason and think the Jets are missing a star.

He had a chance last yr, started five games, and was bad
    lets look at it:

SF game, ok did lead a comeback after terrible start

IND, MIA, LA games was terrible

NE game looked pathetic, like he shouldn't even be on the field and then got hurt

He has had a chance, he is a backup at best

Even Trubisky last night in first start looked way better not to mention Watson, Wentz, etc

So just stop this already......

hornblower, NYJFOREVER and Jets69 like this.
  2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is not about a Myth it is about a project young QB that looks like he has made strides. Yet, we still did not get a chance to see him play against starters in the WCO yet we have seen him light up tier 2 players. We just want to see what we have. I suspect we will get a chance either through injury or otherwise.

RuJFan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Stop he is headed to the hall of fame once he escapes the black hole that is the Jets. He will be inducted right next to all those other superstar QBs that never got a chance in Green like Brett Ratliff, Matt Simms and Greg McElroy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dom, dmw, Mogriffjr and 10 others like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're right...you don't get it. His "chance" last year came after he had missed a chunk of TC and practice with an injury, and was thrust into the starting lineup with little or NO reps with the starting offense. By the time he had his "chance" Marshall had quit on the team, Decker was gone, and the OL was banged up. His HC (Bowles) clearly didn't want him starting, which I'm sure does wonders for a young QB's confidence. The game plans that Gailey and Bowles came up with absolutely sucked and were a joke. His "chance" came in a totally different offense. His "chance" came before he got quality coaching and development with Bates and Morton. Nice logic and reasoning there.

Yeah, he really had a real "chance" last year. Some of you guys ought to go apply with NFL teams for personnel jobs since you think you can evaluate a player so quickly and know so much. Yours and other similar comments by other posters only serve to show how ignorant and impatient you are. Some players take time to develop. One especially doesn't rush to judgment with young QBs, especially when they have so obviously not received good coaching, are trying to play with little or no reps with the starters, and have such little talent or effort around them.

No, you stop with your stupid BS. No one is saying that he will be another Rodgers or Brady. We are saying that a minimum, he's the best backup QB the Jets have had in decades and deserves developing as far as he can go, that he's at least potentially a lot better than McCown and may already be better if given the opportunity, that he has potential, we don't know what he can do yet, and that we should find out what he can do. We know that McCown isn't the answer and know his limitations. We're rebuilding, we're not a playoff team. This is the time to find out what you have in young players, not to ride veterans who probably won't even be with the team next season in a futile, delusional attempt to make the playoffs.

#4 NCJetsfan, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think Petty's capable of being a good starter. But he showed improvement in the preseason, so he should get another chance to prove me wrong considering we aren't going anywhere and he's the best young QB on the roster. If McCown beats the Pats this week, I'll change my opinion about this team. But for now I still think we have no chance at the playoffs, so Petty needs to play.

#5 HomeoftheJets, Oct 10, 2017
    nicg4360, 101GangGreen101 and Jets69 like this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Petty is destiny. It's only a matter of time. McCown is wearing down. My guess is we see him within 4 weeks.

hornblower likes this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

His chance against Miami?

Do you mean when our sieve of an offensive line let Suh and Wake crush Petty like a bug on a winshield?

What would you have Petty do differently in that situation to prove himself to you?

Perhaps he could have adopted the fetal position a little faster but there wasn't much else he could do.

8. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

IND, MIA, LA games was terrible - so was everyone else

9. Attackett

QBs drafted in the 4th rd don’t deserve chances, they have to earn it and many never even get a chance. Petty did get a chance and failed miserably and all the excuses in the world you guys can come up with don’t change that.

Now I hope Petty gets a 2nd chance, not because he’s done or shown anything to deserve one but because the Jets have nothing else at the position as of now. He’ll get that 2nd chance at some point this year, hopefully he doesn’t shit the bed again this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Gas No Shake, Walt White and FJF like this.
  10. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Name of this thread should be changed to Bryce Petty: My Ignorance is bliss. :p

LAJet, matt robinson 17 and Cman68 like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Brady didn't get a chance until Mo Lewis changed NFL history. Prescott didn't get a chance until Romo when down. Petty will never get a chance here. Why? Because of the anti-Petty bias that you yourself just exhibited. Petty got a chance last year? You mean Petty never stood a chance last year. If there's a God in heaven, I hope McClown stays healthy all season, the Jets wind up in the middle again in the 1st round and Petty gets released at the end of the season. He's wasting his career here. Let the Jets continue on with Old JAG Vets coming in and cashing out on the Jets dime. We should just stop drafting QB's entirely and continue drafting BPA-D and plugging holes on Offense with FA's. That should keep us firmly in the middle going nowhere.

#11 Cman68, Oct 10, 2017
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Fixed!

Sam Hammer and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Judging by the rest of your post, there's a lot you don't get, especially about football. No matter what you think of Petty, he never got a chance. In one of his limited starts the Jets ran the ball every time and he wasn't allowed to throw the ball at all. In all of his limited starts he was playing on a Jets team that had given up and a non-existent offensive line that led to him getting battered and injured.

The fact is that despite our 3-2 start the Jets offense has been putrid and Mccown is a disaster. He holds on to the ball too long, makes bad decisions, and way too many poor throws. There is a reason that he has the record he does in his nearly 20 year career. We will get a few more wins this year, but you're delusional if you think we're going to the playoffs. We should be starting Petty, on a team that hasn't given up yet, to see what we have in him before we go into the draft where we will be looking for a QB. Mccown brings absolutely nothing to the table as far as the future of the team is concerned. Its very much like how we shoveled Fitzpatrick and Muck Sanchez out there week after week long after it was obvious that they were on their way out.

Our philosophy this year (which I agree with) was to cut all the cancers and the old players out (except Forte unfortunately), and see what we had with the young players. We should have done this at the QB position as well.

14. Petty has had 2 offseasons,3 camps,3 preseasons & going on 3 regular seasons to prove his worth. What evidence has he showed of being anything close to the answer beyond a few meaningless 2nd team preseason throws in his 3rd year??

I'm all for letting guys develop,not writing a QB off too soon & giving everyone a fair shot,that said I have a hard time believing Petty hasn't been given a fair shake..which is what so many are hinting at..

What does it say that he can't start over a 38 year old journeyman & the GM's personal pet??

I think the whole Petty movement is your typical "everybody loves the back up QB" kind of thing w a morbid Jets twist of nobody wanting to see Mccown & nobody wanting to face the fact that Hack maybe a complete failure. I'll be glad to be wrong..but I refuse to be excited about a few preseason throws

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Plus it would great to see what he can do with Morton calling plays vs the dinosaur Gailey calling plays. If Morton can get 3 wins out of McCown no telling what he might do with Petty. Also tell the above poster that Petty looked the best out of the 3 in the preseason.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Kurt,

Sorry, I respect you, but imo your reasoning on this is whack. You're just falling in line with the impatient crowd who can't see the forest for the trees. Petty was never given a chance to start over a 38 year-old journeyman or the GM's personal pet. He's got talent and a much better arm than McCown. McCown doesn't help the team in any way, shape, or form. If you can't see those things, and see that Gailey and the previous QB Coach were inept, then I can't help you. Morton said that Petty and Hack were practically rookies this year and that little or no development had been done with either. It was a different offense with a different mindset. Gailey knew he was retiring, he didn't care about the future, only wanted to get a few more wins on his resume. Bowles kept trotting Fitz out there long after he was sucking balls, and obviously knows little about offense.

It has nothing to do with the "everybody loves the backup QB." I'm happy that you will be glad to be wrong, because I think you are.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

To be fair to him, the Colts game shouldn't be counted against him. We were getting blown out by half time and he was inserted in a no-win situation. The Rams game was bleh with a handcuffed gameplan.

The point is that we could possibly be getting similar production out of him and winning games with a guy that could be a bridge starter for us for a year next year. Whereas playing McCown may actually end up working against us into a 7-9 record and what not.

I don't think anyone fully expects him to be a savior at quarterback for us. I think people would just rather see the younger player and see what he has to offer.

The backup quarterback is always everyone's favorite player. I remember how much this board was clamoring for Greg McElroy years back. It's life as a fan of a team that perpetually has shitty quarterbacks.

People have been called for Webb to be playing over Eli all day on WFAN....

I want to see Petty. But I'm all for winning games. If we can beat New England with Fitzpatrick then we can certainly beat them with McCown.

The real screw up was not playing Bryce Petty last year once we were what 3-7? He should've been given the rest of the season. Going back to Fitzpatrick to face New England after the bye week was so pointless.

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I love how some are calling people impatient for giving up on Petty, and these same are calling Hackenberg a bust! Classic shouldn't that apply for him as well, or is that just reserved for Petty?

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

To be fair, Hackenberg has looked a lot worse in preseason than Petty has and must look worse in practice as well to not be activated as the backup quarterback.

I think they're both career scrubs so it doesn't really matter to me. I'd be more comfortable giving Petty a shot though.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Attackett

I have no anti Petty bias, I’d love to see him turn out as good as you think he is, I just don’t see it with him. 4th round drafted QBs have to take advantage of the opportunities they get, something that Brady did and Dak did and in which Petty did not. He’s lucky the QB they tried to replace him with is horrible or he wouldn’t have gotten another chance. Let’s hope he does more with his next chance than he did with his first chance.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.