Baker Mayfield Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why he's ranked so low on so many QB rankings. The kid seems to have all of the intagibles that a winning quarterback should have, and is a hell of a competitor.

One underrated aspect to his game is his ability to throw on the run. I wouldn't call him an AMAZING runner or scrambler but once he gets outside the pocket he can hit receivers in stride with dime throws.

If he's there in the second or third and we don't take a quarterback in the first, do we pull the trigger? He has 86 touchdowns to 24 interceptions on 67% completion and just finished 3rd in the Heisman voting. He's also 21-4 as a starter for the Sooners.

Doesn't make sense to me why someone like Kizer is talked about so highly yet this kid doesn't get talked about more. Could be a big time steal if he falls deeper into the draft. I've seen him rated as low as the 10th-12th quarterback coming out.

Anyone care to elaborate as to why? Is it the possible lack of height or arm strength outside the numbers? What's the deal, here. He seems like a winner through and through. Or is he definitively going back to school? Seems like he'd be a decently high pick if he comes back, but maybe he wants to go after that Heisman.

Dom Betts likes this.
  2. Garycs

Garycs Member

He's small and makes Pennington's arm look like a bazooka

JetsKickAss likes this.
  3. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

He's underrated for his size and arm strength, although I think his arm strength thing is a bit overplayed. He's no Zach Terrell.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

He has no problem pushing the ball downfield. I think it's more of a possible velocity issue than it is the ability to air it out.

As I said above he's damn near perfect on the move. I like him a lot more than these other big-arm Air Raid quarterbacks out of the PAC-12. They all have the Geno Smith question-marks associated with them.

I can see Mayfield making a late rise up the draft boards as teams start to see him work out and interviewed.

I just can't see a team spending a top 5 draft pick on Kizer with a 14-11 record as a starter. Then again, the Browns do things like this.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Watson is the only QB I'd want the Jets to take. I don't want another weak-armed QB. I don't care how good he is otherwise.

IMO unless Petty shits the bed, the Jets need to commit to him and building the team around him. They need to upgrade the OL, and add a RB, a TE, a pass rusher, and a CB at a minimum. They're gonna need every pick they can get and can't afford to use one on a QB. Unless Myles Garrett is there at the Jets' pick, I hope they trade down in the 1st round and gain an extra pick or two.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Hes staying at oklahoma too

TouchyFeely likes this.
  7. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Agree but there's a need/value question for the trade down as well. I suspect we might not get decent offers on the trade down due to the talent distribution in this draft. There's also the big question in my mind of how much we get for Sheldon (who'll they'll almost certainly be shopping in the offseason.) Of the positions you noted, CB is the biggest need/value combination, OL the biggest need, RB the biggest value, so I suspect we'll be targeting those positions in the draft.

#7 wampa, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  8. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Forgot about this. Bump the thread next year.

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I don't know if its the offense or him, but I did not see a lot of read progression and it was usually he throwing to his first or second read. He has a lot of athletic ability, but I don't know how much his skill set translates to the NFL. While I was watching I couldn't help but think of Luke Falk and how different they look in the pocket. Falk is very calm and poised for the most part, Mayfield is very twitchy and if things don't develop he usually doesn't stay in there he scrambles.

And yet he makes some plays that are just incredible. Has a ton of arm talent as well....Will be interesting how scouts grade him..

Another downside I also realized - He's only 6'1 ---kinda on the short side for QB

#9 grkmanga31, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I get a Manziel vibe from him.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Here's the tape from the loss yesterday. From a technique standpoint, he moves his feet very well and he maintains his form while throwing. He's also able to throw at different levels, which he displays under pressure and on the run.

He can throw the ball upfield and along the sideline with velocity (see the throw just before 4:00). But he doesn't so that often. In fact, rarely does he throw for 20+ in the air. I'm not sure if that's play design or his own tendencies. It also doesn't appear that he reads the entire field unless the play has broken down, but when he does, he has solid awareness.

12. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

I think he'd be a great pick in the 2nd round. Getting Russell Wilson vibes from him.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wilson on another planet in terms of arm strength

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah I want to make the comparison because everything else is sort of there, but the arm strength isn't comparable. They're even both douchey in their own unique ways; Wilson with the religious shit that came out of nowhere and Mayfield with his frat boy attitude.

Wilson flicks his wrist and throws a 20 yard out on a rope. Mayfield needs to put a lot more of his body weight behind his throws because he doesn't have the natural arm strength. He seems like he'd be a good fit for this version of the WCO though. I just wouldn't want to overdraft him, which unfortunately isn't much of an option with quarterbacks. I could see him shooting up draft boards late. I think he'd be a great selection in the 3rd.

The bigger question mark is whether we'll need a quarterback if we can nab Lamar Jackson assuming we *may* pick in that 6-10 range. At this point, I'm hoping Darnold comes out so Jackson sort of gets overlooked.

He still worries me from an injury and durability standpoint. But you can't draft scared. I went back and watched some of his throw by throw highlights on Youtube and various draft sites. I'm becoming sold on him advancing and progressing as a passer in this league.

Cam is a much different style runner. But he's made it work in the NFL. I could see Jackson being successful as well if he can stay healthy. He certainly has the arm strength and the intangibles.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Baker Mayfield is Jeff Garcia not Russell Wilson.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

I could live with Jeff Garcia. On a side note I always felt the Eagles should've stayed with him in 2006. He was absolutely rolling and was 5-1 that season to McNabb's 5-5. Just how the Bears should've stayed with McCown when he was throwing all those touchdowns to their giant receivers and they went back to Cutler when he returned. And Cutler looked a lot worse than McCown did.

NYJetsO12 and BrowningNagle like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yeah it's not a terrible comp for Mayfield by any means. I heard it over the weekend on one of the sports radio shows. I think it's a good comparison.

Garcia was a smaller guy with a weaker arm but found success in a west coast offense where he didn't have to rely on arm strength and could make plays with his legs from time to time. I could see that being Mayfield for sure but he's got to play in the right system

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Oklahoma!!!

Where the the corn is as high as an elephants eye...

Let's get the Surrey with the Fringe On Top and give Mayfield and Rudolf a lift

SIGN THESE BEASTS

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

IMO should probably sticky this thread too because while Mayfield is a bit polarizing, he is playing extremely well and stock is trending up. Might he be an end of the 1st or early 2nd round option? For his downsides, he seems like a winner on the field and that's an important quality. Here is a recent Rotoworld blurb:
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132536/baker-mayfield

20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member