Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Oct 9, 2016.

1. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Wilk is 28 this year, I think even with a bounce back season he's probably a goner at 17 million. I can't believe how much time and money this team sunk into a defensive line that never quite lived up to expectations. Somebody else here said it but if we draft BPA defensive line or secondary next year I quit. Trading Richardson for Kearse and signing Kerley felt like Percy Harvin all over again. Not so much in resources committed but in a let's do something "just because" sorta thing. Mac spent two early round picks on receivers when the OL should have been higher priority on top of a ton of young guys at the position. All together this just gives me the sinking feeling the Jets are going to turn around and try to replace Wilkerson in the draft and ignore all the other roster problems.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

The thing is, we are actually that stupid to draft a 3-4 DE in the 1st round this year lol.

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Hey, look who decided to pop in..

I thought ICE came for you...

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with trading Richardson at this point, especially given the haul. But the entire situation was handled so incorrectly. Richardson should've been the player we looked to keep and possibly extend.

I never really understood this whole premise though. 3-4 teams look to try to get ONE really good 3-4 defensive end to one gap the 5-5i tech and then the other two are simply two gappers to occupy the offensive lineman.

It's only reasonable to think that Leonard Williams will AT LEAST want what Wilkerson received. After we get rid of Wilkerson it won't be a big deal.

I hope we just switch to a god damn 4-3 defense with the next coach so we can have an easier time just finding good players because the 3-4 defense requires you to find good players AND that they fit the scheme. Whereas you can just find good players in the 4-3.

Let's say we move to a 4-3 next year. Do we just cut Wilkerson? Is that possible with the cap?

Jenkins-Leo-McLendon/Simon-Ealy is a formidable front with Jenkins playing the strong side end. Not sure if he has the speed to play 4-3 end. Maybe we target DeMarcus Lawrence or Zeke Ansah? Although Ansah will demand a lot of money I imagine.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we cut Mo before next season, we get 11M in cap savings and a 9M dead money hit. So we have to decide whether the 11M could be better spent elsewhere.

6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

It just grinds my gears watching him get paid and then proceed to disappear into fat air.

We have a lot invested in this guy to be a leader, to go hard on every play, to be a main disruptor, and to be a part of the solution going forward.

He yapped a bit in the offseason (remember the whole "Jets didn't have a plan for me" stuff) he was late for meetings and lazy last season. He was reported out of shape this offseason Game 1 this season was more of the same. Took plays off. Invisible on the field after being invisible all pre season.

And here we have Sheldon with the motor that doesn't quit having a much much bigger impact than Mo. Yea he's immature and dumb at times but he always care. Does Wilkerson even want to be here??

My question is...if we see the same lax effort vs Oakland is it fair to bench the guy already?

Should we be considering trading him in season and seeing what kind of return we can get?

NYJetsO12, grkmanga31 and tbruner12 like this.
  7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Barring some kind of miraculous career turn around he's getting cut after the season anyways. And even if he does return to form the team won't be contending until he's on the wrong side of 30.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  8. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I have no problem with moving Richardson persay. It's moving him for a WR when we have guys that need as much time on the field as we can give them. Since we don't know what the market was for the guy I suppose it's good that we got anything at all. I didn't watch Wilkerson too close for doubles and whatnot but Ealy seemed like he was getting in there far more often than Wilk; it's something to pay attention to anyway.

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I would gain a shit ton of respect for Bowles if he benched Wilkerson if he continues to be a no show. I also don't know if any team would want to trade for Wilkerson. I would have to assume that the Jets would need to be on the hook for his salary for the entire season at least. We wouldn't get much of a return either.

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Massive generalization coming up... but I can't remember the last time a Jets vet was benched for shit play. They just seem to skate on by, whatever regime happens to be in place. Wilkerson is dogging it, Revis last year. I think back to Herm and Damian Robinson and I'm sure there are many more examples. Once you've got tenure on the Jets, you can just order hamburgers at practice and there are no consequences.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. grkmanga31

And that is why we find ourselves in the position we do. No accountability and too much respect for older player who have done it but no longer can produce at a starter level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

We're just one game into this f#kin season and already talking about dumping players and contracts....this team should just move to Oakland, they deserve better fans.

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Wilkerson looks pregnant.

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  14. grkmanga31

Except this was happening last season and has continued. At what point does being patient just turn into being naive or blindly complacent in the failures of certain schemes, coaching/personnel decisions? And that's not to say that things can't change. But how many times is this team going to fail? I'm tired of making excuses for players or team officials

15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I hear ya but, I wish it was just that simple - to write off as many players and coaches that we can all point fingers at after every miserable game. I look at it a bit simpler: what was it that made the Jets winners in Bowles' first year? What they had was, imo , 1) QB who had a career year and 2) receivers to throw to. That was a pretty simple formula - along with a very good D. This team , reasons 1 & 2 no longer exist.

IMO, we should all keep a cool head and see how things unfold; they have a 38 year old QB that can't and never will be expected to lead this team to above .500 but, they'll will be a time soon when Bowles will have to make a move and bring in one of the youngster's to QB....and that may be a lot sooner than we think.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. grkmanga31

Oh for sure. I really think petty and hack will get an opportunity to start. What they do with that opportunity given the pieces on offense is a diff story. I really don't even care if we lose I just want to see the team compete, and see some of the younger players and Wilkerson step up and play up to his contract.

BomberJet likes this.
  17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Only difference being it was a good trade for us whereas signing Harvin made no sense.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

hastygreen likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's untradeable at this point. That ship has sailed as no one wants that contract. I could see us cutting him next year if he keeps going at this rate. He looks slow and ineffective but he looks slow and ineffective because of effort, not for lack of talent.

NYJetsO12 and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  19. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah if we're like 1-4 or 0-5, which would be very possible, then what are we playing for anyway?

The rest of the season should be like an extended preseason and the Jets should just charge $10 admission like minor league baseball games because in reality they aren't even the caliber of a professional football team.

20. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Mo will get cut after this year and then resurface on a good team and go back to being a 10 sack guy