Good article about how the raiders rebuilt

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 13, 2017.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nice read but McKenzie did something Macc is allergic too. He drafted offense and signed offensive player. He also targeted all phases of a football whereas Macc just knows defense. Yeah, sometimes you hit and miss I'm just waiting on the Jets to hit one out of the park for once.

NYJetsO12 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's frustrating how we seemed to have gotten our potential superstar player in Leonard Williams and his talent is being wasted eating up blockers in the 3-4. The guy would be a dynamite 3technique in the 4-3 alignment. Instead he's just a good player to great 3-4 defensive end, but the only generational player to ever really play that position is JJ Watt.

He is not JJ Watt.

3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The way the NFL is structured these days, truly great players have the most impact on the offensive side of the ball. A great defensive lineman or safety or corner will have an impact no doubt, but not like a QB or WR.

Watt when he's at his best is otherwordly good. But you can neutralize a JJ Watt easier than say....Odell Beckham or Antonio Brown

4. Jonathan_Vilma

That's true for every defensive position other than outside linebacker. Von Miller is as much of a game changer as Odell Beckham and Antonio Brown.

But I get what you're saying in that we should look for our game changers on the offensive side of the ball.

Oh and OBJ is a sissy bitch. :D

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

No, they are good, and look stocked, but lets not anoint them just yet. They haven't had any sustained success yet.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Last playoff win 15 years ago. screw the raiders

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah 3 of mac, but year 1 of the rebuild. sucks we started early but someone and we don't know and never will know who pushed for instant sucess which led to a bunch of bad contracts and bringing in older vets.
    but this time they nailed it.
    because it shows what it takes to rebuild. some fans needed to understand.

8. GasedAndConfused

i agree we need to focus more on offense in the draft and free agency

boozer32 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'll tell you who. Mac. You know the guy that hands out the contracts?

boozer32 likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Except this isn't the first year he was allowed to draft players. So year 1 of a rebuild but he had a 2 year head start to draft some talent, and all he has to show for it is Leo Williams. Hard to get excited about him leading the charge based on that

boozer32, CBG and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  11. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Carr is the main reason they're contenders....the other reason is drafting playmakers Carr, Mack, Cooper...we're obsessed with drafting safties and defensive lineman.

boozer32 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

you do what your told. maybe it was his decision, maybe it was woody who wanted him to do it. from everything we heard this offseason it appears mac had to convince woody into allowing a full rebuild. It's more likely he was doing what he was told by woody to get some instant sucess

boozer32 likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

don't forget the huge improvements on the o-line. they have one of the best in football. we need to improve the o-line and QB.

MJK likes this.
  14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

THIS times infinity !!!

FJF likes this.
  15. boozer32

If Woody is forcing GM's to draft certain players then a GM should quit on the spot. Woody is a trust fund bonehead. Yeah, I know Al Davis and Jerry Jones do some picking maybe they did all the picking but at least they had the experience. Probably no one was more qualified than Davis since he was a scout, coach, owner, GM, Commissioner.

16. GasedAndConfused

i never said he did that. I'm saying he could have told mac do whatever it takes to win now, I don't have 3 years to wait for a rebuild. all the moves suggest as such. we doled out big money to decker and revis. traded for fitz and marshall. all older players for a win now. Now we are on a full rebuild and at least the rumor was mac had o convince woody to be on board for it

boozer32 likes this.
  17. boozer32

I agree SGB and I'm also too old for a full rebuild. I'm so grumpy now because I always want the Jets to win. Been too many losing seasons and just blowing games just to get a top pick is a waste, high risk, an insult to fans. Macc might have told Woody what the plan is but the fan base has no clue and left to make up their own version. If he were to have a press conference and explain it in detail I think people would go along with it. All I ask is that Bowles is not a part of it after this season.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

I'm more then ok with bowles leaving. he hasn't shown anything great for us. I'd love to get an offensive minded coach for once. I can't remember the last time we had one. it's been a long ass time. I just think mac deserves time to do a full rebuild before we shit can him and try with someone else and se the franchise back again. our recent history is fire GM start over but win now, all we are doing is spinning tires. a full rebuild is what this team needed.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What the Raiders did right was not to reach for a QB in 2014. They took the bluechip talent with their 1st rounder and let everybody else pick their QB and took what was left in the early 2nd.

That was the right move because all of those guys had question marks and the Raiders are the only team that avoided overpaying for the guy they finally got.

The other thing of course is that they lucked out and their pick turned out to be the guy in the 2014 draft.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

The Raiders have done a great job in rebuilding the entire team, and while it all starts with the draft they've also added the three offensive lineman which is so underrated.

1 - Khalil Mack, OLB, DPOY
    2 - QB Derek Carr, star QB
    3 - OG Gabe Jackson, pro bowl caliber guard
    4 - DT Justin Ellis, backup NT
    4 - DB Keith McGil, backup SS/CB
    7 - DB T.J. Carrie, backup CB/fringe starter, kick returner

1 - WR Amari Cooper, star WR
    2 - DT Mario Edwards, starter first year, rotational DT
    3 - TE Clive Warford, backup/fringe starter
    4 - OG Jon Feliciano, backup/depth lineman
    5 - ILB Ben Heeney, backup ILB, special teams player, cut this year

1 - S Karl Joseph, starting safety/fringe Pro Bowler
    2 - DE Jihad Ward, rotational 3-4 defensive end
    4 - QB Connor Cook, backup QB
    5 - RB DeAndre Washington, backup RB
    6 - LB Cory James, backup OLB, special teams player
    7 - OL Vadal Alexander, backup/fringe starter, seems like he could likely start on multiple teams

Thats 16 players (minus Heeney) from three drafts that are all contributors in some way on this roster. It's not as if you need to even be finding starters all over the draft and it'd be unrealistic to expect that.

But they draft players that can fill out their roster and that's why they have such a deep team. The Raiders wouldn't be incredible worried if they lost a starting offensive lineman because they have drafted players capable of stepping in for their high paid starters.

I also spy players that can contribute on special teams. The 5th through 7th round is where you take defensive backs and linebackers to build your special teams. Instead of doing so in 2015 and 2016 we selected: quarterback, guard, nosetackle and tackle, punter, receiver. None of which will be on any special teams unit.

Austin Howard (former Jet, heh) missed 5 games in 2016 and Vadal Alexander stepped in without a catastrophic break down for them.

boozer32 and FJF like this.