Potential Coaching Candidates thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Haley is such a douche, that he'd make Mangini seem likeable.

The guy has been despised by his players everywhere he's been, and they regularly quit on him at first sign of adversity.
    He's had plenty of very public sideline blowups and disputes with his players, including Anquan Boldin who is the ultimate team guy.

And then throw in his arrogance and contentiousness, and the media would be all over him knowing he doesn't have the temperament to handle it.

Haley would be a complete disaster as a HC in this market.
    It would set us back years.

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Hard "No" on Haley as HC. That guy is a ticket back to the circus.

stinkyB, JetBlue and BacktoQueens like this.
  3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i USED to be a personal friend of todd haley........i will say i agree with what you say. he used to want to be a head coach but i am not sure he currently feels that way.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Screw long-in-the-tooth NFL retreads - dip into the Pac12 for Chris Peterson (HC) and Darnold and go from there.

And who knows, maybe Peterson could also snap up his boy Trey Adams in the 2nd (pipe dream).

pdxdrew likes this.
  5. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Yea Haley wouldn't work out here. He's one of those guys who should remain a coordinator forever. It's the same with guys like Crennel, Bowles, McDaniels. They do well in their role, but as soon as they're elevated to head honcho they become confused and overwhelmed

Haley is slovenly, disorganized, an asshole, and not the kind of guy who can be counted on to lead a franchise...he would implode in NYC.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Weird thing about Mangini is that he's actually not a douche. Not at all. When he was a head coach he tried so damn hard to be Mr. Douchey Belichick Jr. disciplinarian. Yet he looked like a jovial little doughboy. It was hard to take him seriously when he tried so hard to be somebody else rather than himself.

Red Menace and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't know about all of that.

I did find a couple of articles where Pittsburgh fans want him fired for running a "dink and dunk offense" and for throwing inside the 10 yard line rather than giving the ball to Bell.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If I were Woody, I'd go after John Dorsey and appoint him as the President of the Football Op. After that - he gets a blank check. If he wants a new GM, he will get a new GM. If he wants a new HC, he will get a new HC. etc etc.

The point is, the HC has to be the guy that HE wants.

9. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Being from Oregon I think this a great idea! But honestly there is no way Peterson is leaving Seattle. He loves it there. Shaw probably isn't leaving Stanford either. Best chance for a decent candidate is the pro ranks.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Haley is a douche and an asshole.... that makes me want him MORE!! 6 years of drinking buddy Rex and 3 more of an aloof zombie in Bowles, these players need an asshole to blow up on them on the sideline.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's a good point and good reason for hiring him.

I've seen Pittsburgh play a number of times, but haven't paid that much attention to the play calls that Haley has made. What do you think about his offense? I know that statistically his offense has done well, if not very well, but evidently a lot of Steelers fans don't like his play calling and want him fired.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

steeler fans are the dumbest group of cavemen around. if "steeler fans" want to fire the offensive coordinator of the best offense in the league that is not surprising to me but also proves my point that they are a bunch of idiots

NYJetsO12 and SonofDinger like this.
  13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Don't think Woody is going to pull the plug on Maccagnan/Bowles any time soon, so I think talk of replacing Bowles is futile. Yes, I believe they have made some mistakes, but there is no guarantee a new leadership (GM or coaching) will make it better. You can't keep churning leadership and expect to win. I think it's still too early to cast judgement. The risk of turning over leadership in my mind is a far greater risk than allowing the current plan (as it is) to go forward. I know it's hard to ask a Jet fan to be patient, but we have to see what Maccagnan does in the draft. Once they get the FQB, then the rebuild really starts with putting some talent around whomever it is. Then we should get a better idea of how successful Maccagnan's plan is.

Afterthought: As for Bowles, I also have my doubts about him, but don't think he can be fairly judged with such a lack of talent on the Jets. If he can keep the team focused on playing fundamentally solid football, which I feel he did in the Buffalo game, then he will have done a good job. If the locker room comes apart, then that would be a reason to let him go, but barring that, I think he'll stay along with Maccagnan.

#153 westiedog1, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  14. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

If the Jets end up winning 3 games or less, Bowles will be gone. Maccagnan might get another year.

To be honest, that would likely be one of the best ways of going about it. The more I look at this team, the more I'm seeing that our chronic problems seems to be with coaches, and not with GMs or any lack of talent. Woody hires coaches with what seems to be a single requirement: They were a defensive coordinator for a successful, or at least semi-successful, defense. The biggest problem is that we've had a bunch of stubborn coaches who refuse to change their schemes to fit the team's strengths, don't know how to plug new free agent signings into roles that will be of use to the team, nor do they know how to develop young players. The final one is what's huge.

The Jets have probably had more problems in developing rookies than just about any other team. A team's 1st, 2nd, and possibly even 3rd round picks should be good enough to be starters. I say this, as even 2nd rounders who don't pan out are considered to be busts. 1st rounders should be an almost sure thing; 1st round busts are, for the most part, uncommon. Most 1st rounders are ready to go with little development needed to adjust to the NFL. BUT, they do, without exception, need some development. And yet, we have repeatedly failed to develop even top 10 picks into players able to make an NFL roster. Players that many considered to be among the best, and most sure choices in the draft. That, to me, is on the coaches being completely unable, or maybe even unwilling, to work with new players and find their strengths.

The next coach, I believe, should not be chosen based on whether or not he's an offensive or defensive genius, but on how he works with players and uses their strengths.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The problem is that wears off, we went from buddy to asshole to buddy to aloof and the same thing happens. The message tunes out fast when the losing starts.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said, but that last line. I would amend to say:

"The next coach, I believe, should be an offensive guy,and someone who works with players and uses their strengths."

He should also understand defense and special teams, and have experience managing an entire operation, as well as have good game management skills. Put my requirements all together and I'm looking for a guy who almost has to have experience as a HC already, preferably in the NFL, but if not a former NFL HC, he must have lots of successful experience in the NFL as an OC. I would prefer an NFL HC however, like Payton, someone with a proven track record and a solid belief in his methodology borne of experience.

All that said, and despite my repeated calls for firing Bowles, I was somewhat surprised and encouraged when I read this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...alls-defensive-line-meeting-article-1.3494084

"Ealy appreciated the way Bowles went about calling out the defensive line. He used the opportunity as a teaching moment.
    "I look at it as a challenge with Coach Todd, how he got down on us. It was nothing bad, but we understood it," Ealy said. "He doesn't just point the finger. He shows you why he's mad obviously by showing you what we could be better at. It's up to us as professional to just go out there and correct it."

It will be very interesting to see if what Bowles said to them translates into improvement this week. If it does, then maybe there's a chance - a very slim chance, but a chance - that Bowles can actually be effective as HC. Of course he'll also have to show that his in-game management has improved greatly, but if he can also show that, maybe we don't have to upend the cart and start all over.

Count me still as in the "Fire Bowles Camp" for now, but I'm not pressing the eject button just yet.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

No, they don't need that. Nor does it work.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I think Bowles can be a really good head coach for us if he does these 4 things by the end of the season.

1. Make sure we're prepared for our opponents week in and week out
    2. Holds the entire team accountable
    3. Develops at least 4 or 5 offensive players over the course of the season(makes the future building blocks like he did with Enunwa, Winters and Powell recently)
    4. Improves his in game management(go for it, clock management, challenges, time outs

That's at least a few good steps for him. Ultimately I have no faith in him developing a QB which is what I really want.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The last line is the crux of it for me too. My biggest fear is that he'll achieve the things you set as measurables, but crucially not the last one - developing a QB, and that is the ONE thing they need. If he does in fact achieve those things, he'll be retained, and we'll be doomed to live through another failed attempt to win a championship with defense and little offense. In today's NFL, virtually impossible. And if this comes to pass, I will be done with this clueless franchise.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Bit of a chicken and egg argument as many would say there is no qb on the roster to develope

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.