Jets’ Christian Hackenberg to his critics: ‘There are a lot of positives in there too’

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Christian Hackenberg knows what’s being said. The talk of him being labeled a bust. The disappointment from fans on his apparent lack of development. The rumors of the Jets tanking in order to draft another quarterback.

He hears it. He’s not ignorant — he just doesn’t care.

“I understand it’s a marathon, not a (sprint),” Hackenberg told the Daily News after practice last week. “It’s a progression. You’ve got to take your lumps. You have to keep finding ways to continue to get better.”

Hackenberg initially appeared to take a small step forward on Sunday, after Todd Bowles named the second-year passer the team’s backup quarterback behind Josh McCown for the Jets’ 21-12 season-opening loss to the Bills in Buffalo. However, that promotion was simply out of necessity, as sources told The News Hackenberg was the team’s No. 2 signal-caller only because Bryce Petty was not fully healthy. Petty, who was inactive for Sunday’s loss, would have been the Jets’ preference to back up McCown had he been healthy.

Twitter bashes ex-Jets coach Rex Ryan in NFL broadcasting debut

The decision to elevate Petty over Hackenberg was immediately ripped by fans, who were unaware of any lingering injury concerns with Petty.

“How bad must Bryce Petty be if he is inactive over Christian Hackenberg,” one fan asked on Twitter.

[​IMG]
    Christian Hackenberg has yet to take a single snap in a regular season game but vows he's getting better.
    “Ridiculous. Petty was best in Preseason,” another wrote.

“I’m boarding up my windows in Brooklyn in anticipation of the coming storm of Christian Hackenberg errant passes,” posted another.

Jamal Adams was silver lining in Jets’ ugly loss to Bills

Hackenberg is no stranger to such criticism, having been the subject of Jets fans’ ire since the team selected the former Penn State quarterback in the second round of the 2016 draft.

Hackenberg said he has grown accustomed to harsh judgment from fans, but also added there are a number of positives in his development that the media and fans have chosen not to focus on.

“There are a lot of positives in there, too, but it just seems that, at times, the negatives stand out to the majority of the people,” Hackenberg told The News. “And I just think that’s where you have to be mentally strong.”

[​IMG]
    Christian Hackenberg says he just has to 'keep finding ways to continue to get better.'
    (Seth Wenig/AP)
    While Hackenberg had his share of nice throws in practice during training camp, he struggled throughout the preseason. Playing mostly against team’s opposing first- and second-string defenses, Hackenberg completed just 42 of 74 passes (57%) for 372 yards and two touchdowns. He also threw two picks and was sacked nine times for a loss of 59 yards.

Todd Bowles has no regrets over decision to punt in Jets' loss

Despite the fact Hackenberg has yet to throw a regular-season pass, let alone start a game, fans are already clamoring for the team to tank in hopes of drafting USC’s Sam Darnold or UCLA’s Josh Rosen.

“I stay out of that. It’s their opinions and stuff,” Hackenberg said. “My job is to just come in every day and continue to get better … and be prepared for when that opportunity does come.”

Seven quarterbacks from the 2016 draft class have already started at least one game since entering the NFL. So until that opportunity comes (and he produces) Jets fans will continue to criticize Hackenberg, whether he cares if they do so or not.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The league has changed. No one has patience anymore. That's life. Hack will get his chance.

Peebag, nycarl, K'OB and 4 others like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

At least he isn't hitting reporters on the sidelines anymore. Besides, he's already been annointed the FQB by the GM so this is all just a huge waste of time. Just like the phony "Qb competition".

#TheFixIsIn

#3 Cman68, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Making a QB who had a lot go wrong in college, learn 2 offensive systems in 2 years = bad, stripping the offense of two safety valve WR's Decker - Marshall = bad decision, having a porous o-line = bad.

Hackenberg may fail on behalf of his own merits, but I think the Jets have not done right by him. He will surely get to play this season, I'm just not sure what he'll be able to accomplish by the time he gets his shot.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

He's not wrong. He's better than he was last year.

It's just not enough for a 2nd round pick after two offseasons.

But it's not his fault that he probably should have been drafted in maybe the 6th or 7th round and developed on the practice squad or as a 3rd stringer rather than being counted on as a franchise QB....

Jonathan_Vilma, dmw, Peebag and 7 others like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So hack knows what's being said,doesn't care and petty will probably be the 2 when he is healthy.
    Must be a slow news day

stinkyB, Kris 15, Jets69 and 2 others like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't think a 2nd Round QB is ever counted on to be a Franchise QB. When you take a QB in the 2nd Round you hope he has potential to eventually start. Players like Geno and Kizer were thrust into starting roles instantly, but I don't think that is normal. I liked Hack as a 2nd Round option or 3rd. I would have been fine trading back into the 1st Round for him at the end of it too. I have always liked his potential.

LAJet, ajax, westiedog1 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I think Jets fans need to come to terms with our QB's, neither of them are ready for the NFL. One or both of them may get game time this season, don't expect a lot.

Petty may get a shot, but he's 29 (IIRC), he's not going to do enough this year to invest a lot of time in him. Unless he kicks it into turbo mode and wins a lot of games this year, he's gonna be our/someones back-up. We will move on from him (probably already have) as being a starter.

Hack is young, he will get another couple of years to show something, no matter who we draft next year.

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Petty is 26

Hack is still young but he's been labeled a bust already without even taking a regular season snap. It's a new era. I'm sure Aaron Rodgers was a bust after two years too. Hack may never amount to anything but it's unfair to basically call him a finished product.

nycarl, K'OB and Jets69 like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hacc will have his entire rookie deal and most likely an extension to prove Macc was right in drafting him. Hacc MIGHT take a regular season snap or gasp: Start a regular season game! before his walk year in 2019. No way Macc is going to expose Hacc to anything close to an upper echelon defense. Hell, that's why he's keeping Petty on the roster anyway. They need someone to throw to the wolves so they can keep the bubble wrap nice and fresh on his annointed FQB. Petty will be outta here after 2018 (Thank God!) so Macc will have to find another washed up vet to protect Hacc. Nothing really changes..

Mogriffjr likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hack gets sacked 10 times, throws 2 pick sixes and had whole halves with negative net passing yards and it's ..."for some reason the negatives are standing out to people"

Uhhh no shite Sackenberg

tbruner12 and PulseJet like this.
  12. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

What positives?

tbruner12 likes this.
  13. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

All these defenses of Hack may be true, but I have one question- name me a qb in the modern era that had a college career similar to Hackenberg and had success in the NFL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I know guys don't want to hear this but this is what happens when you let Young QB's Sit on the Back Burner especially for more than a year.

Especially if you have absolutely given up on a season...

You mean to tell me, they way they've handled our QB's you'd trust them NOT to fuk up the career of whoever we are tanking to draft???

Yea, ok.

15. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

What positives?
    He can hold a Clip board like no other 2nd round pick in Jets history.
    He damn near surpassed Nacho's pick six totals, and it only took him one pre season game. Wow! Amazing!
    His mechanics are obviously fixed, but somehow in the process he went brain dead. His brain was suppose to be his strong suit according to all the QB whisperer's who said he needs time.... Bwahhahaha!
    He was a second round pick, that's gotta be worth something. Especially considering all the speculative bullshit that was in the air about all the coaches that wanted him so early in the draft.... Another laughable idea.
    The most positive thing there is about him, drum roll please, is he is worth a 7th round pick anyway.
    Lots to build on right there.... Sign this guy to a massive contract, hurry!!!

PulseJet likes this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

He's not? That's a damn shame. I was really looking forward to him going all Alec Baldwin and calling a reporter a crackhead and a drug dealer. Sigh.

17. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I hate how newspapers give complete morons' social media postings acceptance. But in all honestly, if Manish Mehta can be considered a journalist, everything is fair game I guess.

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

He's completely oblivious in the pocket, just like he was at Penn St. That gives him virtually no chance to succeed in the NFL, even if he does fix his accuracy.

19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If Macc gets canned this offseason, and I believe he will, the above will obviously not pan out. I wouldn't be shocked if Hack gets cut along with Petty in the offseason if we get a new GM/HC

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people are so mad about the Hack pick, even if he turns out to be a dud-- it's not like the Jets would have used that pick to grab Tyreek Hill, Jordan Howard, or Dak Prescott, even though those guys were available. The Jets would have picked a DB or DL player who would never crack the starting lineup either, because Jets. And this board would be all pissy that we didn't pick Hack, who would have ended up on the Pats (instead of Jacoby Brissett in Rd 3) where he would have silently and invisibly improved without taking a regular season snap for 3-4 years, then been traded to the Bears or some such for a first-round pick....

K'OB likes this.