Qb watch-2018

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cman68, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Check the draft forum. If anyone wants to follow other Qb's besides the big three, let me know and I'll stick your thread in the Draft forum.

MGMT

alleycat9 and boozer32 like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Best MGMT ever.

Cman68, NCJetsfan and Jets69 like this.
  3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I'll try to update my favorite every week between the big 3...I imagine it changes during the season and someone could come out of nowhere to jump the rankings, but for now...

Week 1 - Josh Rosen

4. Cman68

Aw shucks...

5. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Not sure where to request....Mason Rudolph please

6. Cman68

Started the thread in the draft forum.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He probably won't enter the 2018 draft, but Duke's Daniel Jones is someone to watch for the future. He's a two-way threat, and has Duke undefeated so far this season. To date his completion percentage is 68.6, he's thrown 4 TDs to 1 interception (his first in 202 passes dating back to last season), and his QB rating is 146.7. His coach is David Cutcliffe a real QB guru who has had 6 QBs he's coached in college playing in the NFL including both Peyton and Eli Manning and Heath Shuler.

8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I saw a little bit of Oklahoma-Ohio State on Saturday and was very impressed with OU QB Baker Mayfield. So many choices....

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'd stay away from Mayfield.

Sidearm QB = Recipe for fails and disasters.

Did you look at how low his balls flew? That's like asking for interceptions at NFL level. Last side-arm QB that did anything useful [to my knowledge] is Bernie Kosar.

P.S. For a very similar reason, I'd stay away from Sam Darnold as well. His throwing motion reminds me of Tim fucking Tebow. No. Football doesn't need wind-up motion to throw. It sets the QB up for sacks instead.

#9 Zach, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  10. westiedog1

As I said I didn't watch the whole game, but what I saw was an incredibly athletic QB who was able to make a lot of throws in motion and under pressure (a la Pat Mahomes.) Some of the shorter throws to his backfield may have come out side armed but most of them were complete passes. I went back and reviewed some of the highlight film on his down field throws and what I saw was a classic throwing motion. I disagree that low balls lead to interceptions. Low balls means, his delivery to the target is quick with little airtime. I feel the opposite is true. Balls thrown with more arch and airtime are more prone to interceptions. I'm not saying he's in the same class as the "Big 3" (yet) but his performance on this day, 27-35, 3 TD's, 0 Int, 198.0 QBR against the second ranked team in the country, on the road, says to me this is a guy to keep an eye on. The only caveat with him that I can see so far is his height which is only 6'1".

11. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

6'1 looks generous. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up 5'11.5 at the combine. That said I love him as a prospect. He seems like a guy who's figured out how to be a successful QB while still in college and now he's just dominating in ever efficiency category because of it.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Oregon-Wyoming game will be interesting. Josh Allen vs Justin Herbert. Both tall QB's with rocket arms. Never seen so many great QB's in the Pac-12. Its ridiculous. I wonder about Luke Falk's pro prospects though. He is very concussion prone and Leech keeps sending him back in. He got absolutely destroyed at Boise State last week. I think anybody with a top three pick this year is going to walk away with a franchise player.

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. westiedog1

Right! And then there's this kid at Oklahoma St., Mason Rudolph, who's putting up big numbers. Might be the best year for QB prospects since '04. Nothing for the Jets comes easy. After all the anguish of Jets football this year, Maccagnan better not screw up this draft selection.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I know this is about college QBs and all but alex smith should be avilable this offseason and would make a good 1 year stop gap so the rookie isn't thrown to the fire. plus with petty and McCown ebing free agents (leaving us with only hack on the roster to start 2018) it would be a good idea to grab a vet. and smith would sadly be the best QB we've had since chad lol

15. Cman68

SGB, no more stopgaps. No more retread vets cashing out on the Jets' dime. We should be done with that approach by now. How many hard lessons must this shipwreck of a franchise endure before the light finally comes on???

westiedog1, Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

it's a stopgap while drafting a future QB. Just like the bears are doing with glennon and trib

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree, Cman! Petty should be re-signed and start, unless the rookie shows that he can start from day 1 and then it should be a fair and open competition, but it won't be.

They won't re-sign Petty, and he'll go to another team and become a star. They'll hand the job to the rookie (and would have to since he was the #1 or #2 pick in the draft), and Hack will be the backup, or they'll bring in a JAG mentor to make Bowles happy.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This post is spot on. And, it's amazing to me how many people still don't understand this.

19. GasedAndConfused

petty will never be a star in this league lol. i wouldn't mind keeping him around as a 3rd QB though but i'd prefer to drop him and bring in an experienced QB like smith to help the rookie we draft and hack

20. GasedAndConfused

another option could be terry bridgewater. he's young and looked promising before he destroyed his knee. he should be ready to play by the 2018 season. he'll likely be a free agent. he does have a 5th year option but i cna't see minn exercising it as they seem content with bradford. He'll be 26