Decision to Punt on 4th and 7

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Sep 10, 2017.

1. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Everyone in the world except Bowles knows with 4 minutes left and down 2 scores it's clearly 4 down territory. I for one am glad he got exposed for the same type of dumb decisions he's been making since he became the Jets head coach. It's a huge nail in the coffin for him signaling the end of his tenure as Jets HC. The best present we can get is let him make these dumb decisions game after game and have him called out for it by the media. Woody or his brother will have no choice but to fire him.

The most worrisome part of the game... seeing the Jets down 1 point at the half. It felt like "oh no, its the Jets, they'll win just enough games to pick 4th in 3 QB draft". Thankfully the better team prevailed and after seeing how Jacksonville and Cleveland played I'm beginning to think they just may get that top pick after all. I know, it's one game in, but its one hurdle cleared against one of the few teams they had any shot at winning.

2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah I disagreed with that decision as well. They needed to go for it with 4 minutes to go down by 2 scores. Punting was pointless, they don't have world beater defense. I agreed with Bowles going for 2 after the TD, it made sense, but this decision made me scratch my head.

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

He did the same thing in Pittsburgh last year. I knew he was going to punt as soon as we came up short on 3rd down. I immediately said something like: "This pussy is going to punt here."

The guy is just historically bad at situational football. If Rex got a D for that stuff, Bowles is pulling a solid F-.

ColoradoContrails and RPOZ51 like this.
  4. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can argue about Bowles punting. With that much time you hope you
    get 3 and out and get the ball back. The Jets had forced Buffalo to go 3 and out 3
    times in the game and 4 and out once, so it was perfectly reasonable to punt there.
    Also, the punt worked, the Jets pinned them at the 17 yard line. You don't want to
    give them or any team the ball on your own side of the field. A no brainer, really.
    It's always easy in hindsight to say they shouldn't have done it because Buffalo
    then ran 2 min off the clock, but the real problem is the Jets offense, because it
    can't score quickly.

Ron

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter whether you had your last chance to win with 5 minutes left or 1 minute or 1 second. All that matters is whether you actually win the game. If you want to continue this discussion read my OP in the other thread. Otherwise call me anything you want, but you're deluding yourself.

#85 HomeoftheJets, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I didn't call YOU anything; I commented on your argument.

And your new current stupid argument, that it doesn't matter when your last chance to win occurs, is only known after the fact, so it has no bearing on the game as it occurs and thus what decisions the coaches should be making to be in the best position to try and win the game as the game continues to be played.

By your reasoning, a team that gets shut out's last chance to win the game occurs at the first two score lead they give up, and if that occurs in the first quarter then what occurs over the next three quarters is irrelevant because it doesn't matter whether you lose at the end or, in hindsight, you lost as soon as you were down 10-0 in the first, even though you had three quarters more to play and the history of the NFL proves that not to be an insurmountable lead.

Just stupid to dig your heels down on this argument.

#86 JetBlue, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  7. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Bowles seems like a good dude but he either hasn't learned in the 3 years as a head coach or he just doesn't have it. Either way...it will be a long time before the Jets are as compelling for a potential established head coach to take things over.

1) Woody is MIA playing "ambassador" so he's less likely to drive good candidates away with his fuckery
    2) Almost a lock for a top 3 pick and some decent draft capital besides
    3) lots of cap room to sign whichever free agents they think they'd need to turn Woody's sorry ass franchise around
    4) decent crop of young talent (still some big holes though....but see 2+3)

No more retread losers or green coordinators getting their first shot...

Now is the time to offer Gruden, Cowher etc a blank check to extinguish the almost annual dumpster fire Woody has trotted out on the field for the duration of his ownership. Complete control.

If it doesn't happen now...it likely never will

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with what you said about Bowles and your points above.

What is Gruden but a "retread loser"? He has a career losing record and won with a team that Dungy built. Cowher was a winner, but is 60 years old.

If you're talking about hiring them as Team President, then I agree. If you're talking about making them HC and GM, I disagree. Besides, they have great gigs as announcers and Gruden's doing a ton of commercials. They're making a ton of money, have a much easier life and don't have the stress or hours that they'd have as a HC/GM for any team, but trying to deal with Woody and fix this mess would be beyond the pale. I don't think either would even consider coming here.

#88 NCJetsfan, Sep 12, 2017
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I wonder if the put ambassador in quotes when they spoke about Dan Rooney in Pittsburgh.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Gruden or Cowher? Seriously? I wish someone would tase you, bro.

#90 Dierking, Sep 12, 2017
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Whatever you're talking about isn't my argument. If you want to do a "by my logic," then say by my logic pretend there's a basketball game where you have to shoot twice, once with 5 minutes left and once with 1 minute left. If you make both shots you win; if you miss either one you lose. One of the shots has to be a three pointer, the other gets to be a dunk. You can choose the order you want to attempt the shots. If you dunk first, you'll certainly have a chance to win until 1 minute left. If you shoot the three first and miss, you'll lose your last chance to win with 5 minutes left. Despite that, there's no reason going for the three with 5 minutes left decreases your chances of winning the game. In football terms, the dunk is the extra point and the three pointer is the 2 point conversion. Going for 2 early instead of late doesn't hurt your overall chances of winning because either way you'll have to attempt the 2 pointer and make it to win.

12. Donttasemebro

Ha...They were just examples but at this point I'd take a tasing over another first time head coach.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Donttasemebro

Gruden and cowher both won superbowls....That's all I was saying.

14. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

Holy fucking Jesus I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen fans wanting these two jackasses to be the next coach of their team

Here's an idea why don't we find a guy that's actually innovative and makes smart play calls and manages the clock right

HomeoftheJets, JetBlue and NYJFOREVER like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Even if Cowher expressed interest in coming here, I wouldn't want him. He was considered to have a mentality that was too old school back in 2006 when he retired, and now he's another decade removed from the NFL.

Gruden is meh. I would take a crack at him, but he's such an overrated coach because of his persona. He fielded an offense inside the top 10 in points only once (10th in 2003) in seven years with Tampa Bay, and only had two offenses in the top 15 in 7 years (10th & 14th).

The highest his offense ever ranked in yardage was 18th on Tampa Bay. I stray away from his tenure in Oakland because of all the offensive talent he had. Great offensive line and two top 10 receivers of all
    time on that 2001 team.

The guy is AWESOME in the booth and even in his Gruden's quarterback camp segments. But the guy is so incredibly overrated as a head coach it's not even funny.

He can even be sort of dumb in the booth with how enthusiastic he is about even the most mediocre NFL players. He hyped up the Saints refurbished defense throughout the entire first quarter and they proved to be the same ol' Saints defense throughout the entire game.

16. JetBlue

Suggesting Gruden or Cowher should be a bannable offense at this point. Suggesting them both and the board should send someone to your house to kick the shit out of you.

Nothing says you are less knowledgeable to discuss the topic than spouting off these two guys who haven't coached in nearly a decade.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. Donttasemebro

Ah..."Only a true Scotsman"... Got it. I have fun talking Jets football with people. The "what ifs" etc get through a lot of tough seasons so I'll keep participating and enjoying myself. I invite you to do the same. Have a cool time, internet tough guy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Dumb post. It isn't about the defense but more about the offense. The offense doesn't have the capability to score 2x in less than 3 minutes with no timeouts and that's what they would of had to do punting there even if the Bills went 3 and out. If Toilet had any brains, he would see what 99% of others see and know that this team needs those 4min and 3 timeouts to get 2 scores. This isn't some quick strike offense that put up points in no time.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh I don't think we should have to kick the shit out of them. Just a swift kick to the nuts should suffice.

JetBlue likes this.
  20. JetBlue

There is nothing fun about seeing yet another person advocating for Gruden, who won 10 or more games only 4 times in his career out of 11 seasons, and Bill Cowher, who should be considered in the same ranks as Marty Schottenheimer as a career playoff choker had he not been gift wrapped a championship by the NFL in arguably the most biased officiated Super Bowl in history so they could sell the Jerome Bettis retirement in his hometown.