Potential Coaching Candidates thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Payton is very highly respected. What the Jets need is someone who can breathe life into the offense and Payton is perfect for that. His defenses definitely haven't been great but I'd hope all the investment the Jets have made in defense already would benefit him in that regard.

Harbaugh would be nice but I'm not sure he does for the offense what Payton could. Also bringing Payton here increases the likelihood that we could land Brees on a 2-3 year deal and lead the team while we groom our new franchise QB. Would be a perfect transition plan for the Jets that doesn't involve rebuilding for the next 6 years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but Bowles will be back next year.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Would be a disaster.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think so too. I'll be surprised if any major changes are made while Woody is brown-nosing overseas

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post and good list. My definite preference is for an experienced HC who was an OC earlier and who has a creative offensive mind. From your list, I would rank them as follows:

1. Todd Haley (50)
    2. Mike McCoy (45)
    3. (Tie) David Shaw (45)
    3. (Tie) Scott Linehan (53)
    4. Darrell Bevell (47)
    5. David Cutcliffe (63)
    6. Mike Shula (52)

I think that Haley may just have the temperament this team needs, but also for dealing with the dumbasses in the NYC-area media who make up and write such negative crap.

I like McCoy's offensive background and that he has HC experience.

Shaw was a WR himself at Stanford playing under Bill Walsh and Dennis Greene, his father was an NFL assistanct coach with the Lions, has NFL experience as an assistant coach, and has been a very good HC at Stanford.

I'm not as high on Linehan's abilities as a HC but the plus in his favor is that he has a lot of experience as a WR coach, QB coach, and OC.

I like the job that both Shula and Bevell have done as OCs, but neither has Head Coaching experience.

I would replace Sarkisian with that of David Cutcliffe. Anyone who can build a good football program at Duke deserves serious consideration. He is a QB guru. He has been a QB Coach and OC. Both Peyton and Eli Manning have continued to go to him for work in the offseasons. He has had a bunch of so-so QBs during his tenure at Duke and has had them all playing at a pretty high level. David Cutcliffe would rank a lot higher on my list even though he has no NFL experience were it not for his age (he's 63). He's won College Coach of the Year awards from the Walter Camp Football Foundation, the Maxwell Football Club, and the Bobby Dodd Foundation.

No former Patriots coaches, please.

6. NCJetsfan

More like we're caught in Groundhog Day syndrome.

Faux machine likes this.
  7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Chucky wants to coach again, lose out and let him pick and train the next QB we get.

Donttasemebro likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Stability doesn't come with mediocre or incompetent coaching. The only longevity the Jets would have had they kept Rex, Idzik or Bowles, would be mediocrity (or worse). There comes a point when one has to cut one's losses.

I agree that things won't change unless Woody sells the team, dies (and his heirs sell the team), or by some miracle he wises up and hires a competent football man to run the team, but I have no idea how he could possibly do the latter. That's why this season is probably my last following the Jets closely, hoping against hope for change/improvement. It's just not gonna happen as long as Woody meddles and is running the team. The culture will never change as long as he runs the team.

#108 NCJetsfan, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  9. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Groundhogs Day has a happy ending, so probably not

10. NCJetsfan

The only thing ridiculous is your post. Our HC has proven himself to be incompetent. He has a defensive background and there is plenty of talent on the defense, yet, he can't build a quality defense.

Have you actually read the posts here or been keeping up with the team? All of the candidates listed were offensive-coaches. We have a ton of cap space next year and could easily wind up with the #1 pick. There should be opportunity to radically overhaul the offense next offseason. I disagree that the team has no personnel on offense. I think that Enunwa, ASJ, Leggett, Steward, Anderson, Hansen, and McGuire are all keepers. Winters is pretty good at RG. Add a quality RT and C on either side of him and he'll look a lot better. Carpenter is good, but probably won't be here more than another year or two. Petty is at least a quality back up.

#110 NCJetsfan, Sep 12, 2017
  11. NCJetsfan

That's because he loved Rex, and that's what Rex believes. I think Woody is still influenced heavily by Rex.

12. NCJetsfan

The movie yes, but we have a doofus for an owner, so no happy ending for us. We can't have nice things as long as the Johnsons own this team.

13. NCJetsfan

You can't be serious. There's no way on earth that Haley would be a downgrade over Bowles. Haley has a creative offensive mind, has worked here previously and done well, and has a ton of experience.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I'd be happy with Payton, but I think Brees is a pipe dream. He lives in NO and loves it. He may even retire after this season. I don't think he'd even consider signing with the Jets.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I think people make Bowles coaching blunders out to be way more than they really are.

Like the 4&8 conversion decision. He should've gone for it, sure, the likely hood of us converting there, not very though.

The thing is, does it really matter? I mean, if you watched the entire game, that definitely wasn't the reason we lost that game. There was much more to why we lost, so for people to act like that was the costly decision that cost us that game, it just makes me laugh.

This roster is fucking hot garbage, everyone and their cousin knows this, there isn't a coach on the planet that could turn this team into a super bowl caliber team this year.

When Bowles had some talent on the team, he got us to 10-6. That's not horrible. Then, just like every other new coach we walk through those doors, the talent level starts to decline and the vets start to show their age. Par for the course.

I'm tired of seeing the same BS happen.

I think this process should've happened day one of the MAC and Bowles era, it didn't, it's caused a backlash because of it. Understandable.
    However, at least this horrendous process is happening now. It needed to happen. A rebuild was this teams only hope to getting to a playoff caliber team.

I would like to see where they go with it after this season. We will have 80mill in cap space this upcoming offseason and we should have high draft picks and additional picks to boot for next yeara draft.

This offseason is going to be a very big step in the right direction or a huge step backwards. I'm confident if we keep them, they will make the right moves.

Just my opinion.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

We'll just have to agree to disagree regarding Bowles. I think he is totally incompetent and has shown no signs of improvement or learning from his mistakes in previous years. They can't fire him soon enough for me. Even if he was decent, the bottom line is that he is not the guy (nor is any other former DC not named Belichik) the right HC to develop a young HC. I've been sick and tired of the team continuing to hire first-time HCs, and mostly DCs who focus solely on defense for a long time. I didn't want Bowles before he was hired. I wanted an experienced HC and someone with an offensive background.

Of course the rebuild should have begun when Mac and Bowles were hired, but I'll bet that Woody wouldn't allow it. He had been screaming about not making the playoffs for at least a year or two prior to their hiring. I'm sure that they were given the imperative to win quickly. Mac had to earn some trust before Woody would allow a rebuild.

I will be curious to see if they continue the rebuild, and if so, if Woody keeps Bowles and Mac or cans them and starts over. I like Mac more than most, and I think he has shown some growth in the position and done more good than Bowles, but there's no excuse for his having ignored the OL and offense the way he has and continued to use high picks on the D. Whether Petty or Hack prove to be the Jets FQB or the Jets draft one early next year, they need a proven HC with an offensive background to develop that QB and who will focus on building the offense. For certain I do not believe that Bowles is the right man for the job, and I think he would sabotage or prevent the rebuild from working. Mac could too.

I think the only way this rebuild succeeds is if Woody hires someone like John Dorsey to run the team, totally steps back, quits meddling, and allows Dorsey to make the call on Mac and Bowels and to develop our team culture/identity.

I agree that the upcoming off season will be make or break for this franchise, however, I have the exact opposite opinion. If Bowles continues as HC, the rebuild has zero chance of succeeding imo.

A few months ago, I would have trusted Mac to make the right decisions and guide the team going forward, but not now. Unless I heard words from his own mouth that explained that Woody had refused to let him begin a rebuild day one, and had pretty much ordered him to give Bowles whatever he wants in terms of talent, I could no longer trust Mac to even draft a QB, much less draft the right one. With the way Petty has been treated and Hack given every opportunity, it screams to me that this is Mac's doing. I'm not giving up on Hack, but Petty is more polished and ready to play at this point and was not given a fair shake in the competition. I'd be willing to bet that if Hack shows any improvement this season, Mac wouldn't draft a QB even if one of them blows the lid off of the college season, wins the Heisman Trophy and is the clear-cut consensus BPA in the draft. I would expect Mac to draft another defensive player in order to give Hack every opportunity to develop. I'm not happy about that. I want to like and trust Mac, and was one of his biggest supporters, but no more. He would have to win back my trust. It's possible that Bowles could be fired, Mac could hire the right man as HC, and do a good job completing the rebuild and build a winner. I just have very little confidence in him right now, and with the next offseason being so important, I'd rather move on to someone else.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We're not talking about a coach that has a roster on the rebound next year after they are being built up. We aren't the Chargers.

We're talking about a team that will have only a couple starters remaining on the offensive side of the ball. We need a coach to develop the young quarterback. Bowles isn't that guy in my opinion as he can't even develop the defense.

I guess it's the chicken or the egg. Are we not developing our talent or is the talent not there?

Look at the Vikings man. Zimmer elevated their defensive ranks from 32nd in yards to 14th, 13th, and 3rd. Talk about changing a culture around.

Bowles is not a coach that has done that. He went from 6th to 4th to 11th and now will likely field a defense in the low 20's. He doesn't even coach his specialty well and Wilkerson has regressed and been known for missing team meetings, and we haven't seen him effectively develop any defensive backs to the point where he needed to spend back to back top picks to get his starting safeties this year.

#117 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 12, 2017
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Adding to this.

Six out of nine of the picks we have had in the first three rounds under Bowles have been on the defensive side of the ball. That includes the consensus best player in the draft in Leonard Williams as some analysts even compared him to a Reggie White type of player. We have also drafted eleven defensive players out of our twenty two selections. We also dished out a gigantic contract to Wilkerson.

You can clearly see we have neglected the offensive side of the ball. He has no excuses for his defense this year as he has been given all the players he wants/needs to run 'his scheme.'It should be good. Stats aside, we can finish poorly rankings wise and still field a good defense by the eye test. That doesn't seem like it's going to be the case really.

Player development is one of the single most important attribute for a coach. I just don't think Bowles can develop players well. He looks to be a coach, like Rex, that would be best fit to coach a veteran roster without having to develop those players.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

All the talent? Are you high?

gajetsfan likes this.
  20. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

He actually said that he doesn't foresee it happening any time soon, so no...he doesn't want to come back into coaching within the next 2 years (a potential HC opening here)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.