2017 General Manager and Head Coach Confidence Poll

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrebetCrunch, Sep 4, 2017.

?

What is your confidence level of our GM and HC?

1. I have complete confidence in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. I have NO confidence in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles

19 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. I have complete confidence in Mac, but not Bowles

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. I have complete confidence in Bowles, but not Mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am cautiously confident in Mac and Bowles

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. I am cautiously confident in Mac, but NOT with Bowles

41 vote(s)
    42.3%
  7. I am cautiously confident in Bowles, but NOT with Mac

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. I don't know how I feel about Mac and Bowles.

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  9. I don't know how I feel about Mac, but not confident with Bowles

11 vote(s)
    11.3%
  10. I don't know how I feel about Bowles, but not confident with Mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

I'd also like to know how much overreach Woody has on Mac's decisions. You can't fault Mac for signings made at Woody's whim.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're putting the best possible spin on his record, and I can't factually dispute your conclusion that he's done "OK", and will only get better - it's more of your opinion vs. mine. And frankly, I hope you're right, but I don't think so.

Let's take Williams. Sure, great talent, but talent is only part of the picture. It's how you USE the talent that makes the difference, and the Jets have not used Williams to his best ability by placing him in a 3-4 set up. And Macc should've known this was going to happen when he took him, and gotten a commitment from Bowles that he would change his approach. Still, it;s not like Williams is a bust, so I'll put him in the "Plus" column, but just barely.

Hackenberg. What was he thinking? This was a terrible pick as a 2nd rounder. If he had taken him in the 4th or later, no problem, but Hack has shown nothing so far to justify being taken so high, and continuing to be coddled.

Lee. He has given ample evidence of being a bust. Even if he somehow begins to contribute, it's highly unlikely that he'll return the investment in him being a #1 pick. And who might've been taken instead of him? This is a lose-lose for Macc.

Drafting two Safeties with the first two picks. I know the "D" guys here LOVE that he did this, but it was a mistake. Given the horrible state of the offense, and the glaring need to upgrade it, taking Adams instead of Mahomes or Watson was a mistake. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I believe my POV will be proven to be right over time. He could've had Mahomes/Watson AND Maye and upgraded both sides of the ball. Instead he chose to focus on the "D" - AGAIN!!! - to what real gain?

He has shown an ability to structure contracts, and to to find talent in the margins, but that talent isn't enough to transform this team. In looking at his overall record I don't see a vision or plan beyond BPA and hope we can make use of those. Maybe there's more to him than that, or maybe Woody does actually hire a Pres. of Football Ops who can given Macc that blueprint. But if nothing like that happens, I don't think I'll be around to see him "grow" into the job and win a SB.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

If McCown, Hack, and Petty all end up on IR before the season is over, will you admit that drafting a QB to put behind this line would have been completely worthless?

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No. In fact, I'll say it proves my point even more. Having a QB that can scramble and improvise is even more critical with a bad OL. What the Jets decided to go with is the worst possible trio: an old, hardly mobile guy; a younger guy who is more mobile, but also has a history of putting himself in harm's way; a really young guy who doesn't seem to feel the pressure and cant think quick enough to do anything about it. Mahomes or Watson in fact might've made the OL much better.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I can't imagine anyone saying they have any confidence at all in the POS GM we have now..this is the guy that gave Revis a 47M deal of which we are still paying off 6M of it this year and then turns around and gives Wilkerson 86 M of which we will be paying 9M of next year after we cut his fat ass. Remember, when this guy got here we had about 70M in cap space to spend and will again next year..doesn't it scare you people to this may be the guy in charge then too?

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

A broke QB is a broke QB. David Carr and Tim Couch are just two examples of guys who really could have been something, but we'll never know because their teams ruined them physically or mentally before they ever got a real chance to shine.

I 100% believe that the path to long-term success in this league is with an elite QB. I also believe that if don't protect a young QB, he'll never become an elite QB, just a crippled dude.

grkmanga31 likes this.