So when does Forte get cut?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Jun 6, 2017.

1. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

He's staying, but hopefully by mid-season he will be an afterthought. Doubt it though. They'll probably run him into the ground ala last season.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

next off season. it makes no sense to cut him this year. we would lose 1 mil in cap room. He'll split carries with powell and he'll be gone next year and we'll get another RB probably in the draft to split with powell

Pags2112 likes this.
  3. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

LOL I know where your coming from .. it's really going to be what our eyes see come camp and this season .. we can all discuss it as much as we want but they are going to be as good or as bad as they want .. anything can happen.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If I was him, I would ask to be traded or be release. I'm sure he didn't sign up for this. He is in the late stages of his career, I'm sure he doesn't want to spend it being part of a total rebuild.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Or Elijah McGuire shows potential this year .. he wasn't a bad rated back coming out of college, and if there's one position that proves value can be found in the later rounds .. it's RB.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

True, he could be a steal. I'm just saying if a guy like fournette or cook is available next year at a value it would be a great choice

Pags2112 likes this.
  7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Based on his cap cost, there's zero incentive to cut him. He can still be a rotational back behind Powell.

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I feel bad for him but because of his contract it will hurt the Jets to cut him. Plus after him the only rb left would be Powell. Releasing Decker and Harris the Jets had younger players who seem to have potentail to replace them. At rb it's Forte and Powell.

That being said I heard the Jaguars are looking to get rid of Yeldon. For the right deal I'd try to get Yeldon. Then at the trade deadline with all the extra money I'd eat Forte's salary and try to get a pick for him. Not sure if the Jets can take Forte's salary in a trade but it'd be nice if he can be traded to a contender.

9. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Nobody is trading for a 30something RB with the contract he has. Nobody.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Apparently, Jets have brought in Denard Robinson, Dexter McCluster, Bobby Rainey at minicamp and have also went ahead and signed former Colts RB/JR Jordan Todman. If I was Forte's agent, I would start looking for a trade or to be released.

Jets really may swallow the dead money cap hit and cut him...

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Nah that's on Forte for choosing the Jets. He had other offers.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He was also warned not to sign here. Let that be a lesson to potential Jets' FAs. LOL

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lol someone actually said that? Haha, wonder who sounds like Heath Evans from the NFLN, that pos.

I prefer we follow the Packers model anyway building via the draft. Lesser FA acquisitions

xxedge72x and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Time to pay Forte his $4 million to get the hell out of here. He is old and slow and clearly doesn't care. Playing him benefits no one on this roster. I'd release him just to give him a chance to sign with a potential playoff team to end his career. However, I wouldn't sign him if I was one of those teams. He is DONE.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. grkmanga31

Next offseason when he frees up 3 million in cap space. I'm sure Jets wanted to get rid of him but who is going to give up anything for an old RB who has clearly lost a step.

It is the job of Bowles and Morton to watch the film and recognize that instead of giving Forte carries they should give those carries to Powell and McGuire instead.

tbruner12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Makes no sense to release him. It would make more sense to trade him for a low conditional pick and another equally bad contract. He has value as a back-up to a clear number 1. He is a tad too slow for defenses that are stacking the box. If you put him on a team with a vertical passing game, he can be an effective pass catcher out of the backfield.

17. grkmanga31

And very unlike him, Forte dropped two passes out of the backfield yesterday. He looks ancient out there, especially when you compare him to Powell. No team will trade for him, unless Jets eat the entire contract. Think Jets will just ride it out and release him at seasons end.

SOJAZ and Red Menace like this.
  18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

With the Johnson injury, can we trade Forte to Arizona for an empty bag of peanuts or a late round pick whichever they can spare?

tbruner12 likes this.
  19. grkmanga31

They're looking into resigning Chris Johnson after they cut him recently.

20. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Again...no one is going to be trading for a 30+ year old running back with the contract he has.