Will Bowles Make it to the End of the Year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Linebacker712, Sep 10, 2017.

?

Will Bowles make it if the Jets stay this bad?

1. No, he'll get canned before the end of the year

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Yes, he'll make it to the end of the year, then get fired

33 vote(s)
    54.1%
  3. Yes, AND he'll return next year

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

to quote groucho marx: " who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?"
    yes, the score was much worse than it appeared to be.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

they should do that for the rest of this season. but, it will spoil the tanking.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the decision to make Hackenberg the number 2 QB came from the front office... aka.. Macagnan

4. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

5. His Defense & in game management are even a bigger joke than the offense. I see no reason for this idiot to get even another day as Head coach.Hes embarassing the same way Kotite was

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well the reason is obvious: Woody is clueless and even he knows it. But the problem is that he had to depend upon his "knowledge of the NFL" to determine who to hire as consultants. Since he doesn't know what he's doing, how would he be able to tell who the best guys to hire are?

He needs to sell the team to somebody who actually KNOWS the NFL. Short of that, he needs to hire a Pres. of Football Ops that knows how to construct a winning NFL team...of course the problem with that approach is the same one I noted above: How would he be able to know who to hire?

boozer32 likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Selling any NFL franchise would be extremely foolish. It's one of the best businesses a person can own that grows exponentially every year and has a commissioner who has pushed it into amazing territory in terms of revenue.

The entire league is projected to make $14 billion in revenue. Funny how the players make such a small percentage of that. 1,700 players across the league sharing $160 million per team.

8. Well judging by the Casserly consulting move..NFL Network? He already tried the Headhunter route before that w Korn & Ferry..

What really boggles my mind is being clueless as a new owner is at least logical..he's been the owner of 7th most valuable pro franchise in sports for nearly 2 decades & still knows absolutely NOTHING about sustaining a winning football operation

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Yes, well, I didn't say that I expect Woody to sell, just that I hope he will.

And I agree that the players are getting screwed. Really, if you have a son who is a great athlete, you're doing him a great disservice to allow him to play football. Groom his baseball abilities, or even basketball (great salaries but much fewer jobs to be had).

10. ColoradoContrails

I think the "mystery" to that is what Jonathan_Vilma noted: and NFL franchise - even the worst losing one - is a profit-maker, and I think that's really what Woody has always been focused on, winning had been an afterthought, at least up until the Idzik fiasco, then Woody realized that his profits were in jeopardy and decided that he needed to field a winning team to justify the exorbitant prices he's charging. So he did what they teach you in business school: hire some consultants, but as I already noted, that requires you to already be knowledgeable about the things you want them to consult on, which Woody isn't.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. I'll say this much..

Bowles fooled everyone even beyond the Jets.Everyone thought he was the next great defensive head coach..you couldn't find a negative thing said about the guy from anywhere. While Woody is a major part of our pathetic state..I thought he went about that hiring process in the right manner..

Bowles proves that matter how much hype a coaching candidate can garner it doesn't promise success or in his case competence

NCJetsfan and SOJAZ like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Sadly - maddeningly - there is really nothing to be gained by firing Bowles now, except maybe at least knowing he won't be around any more. That's worth quite a bit IMO. But I doubt Macc and Woody see it that way, so we're stuck with him for the season, and based upon yesterday's confirmation that he's still clueless, this season may become completely unbearable, to the extent that even Woody and Macc can't stand it and fire Bowles during the season.

SOJAZ and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm getting tired of hearing this excuse for our defense. They gave up a 13-play drive right out of the gate. How many 10+ yard plays in the first half? How on earth can professional athletes be tired so quickly, in a game that is punctuated by TV timeouts every few minutes?

Our defense simply didn't play well, right from the start. Whether its scheme, play calls or players, the Bills cut through them with ease.

NCJetsfan and MoWilkBeast like this.
  14. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

If you're looking to tank, why the fuck would you get rid of the guy that's going to make you tank?

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I understand your feeling and I can empathize, 21 points is not a lot of points in the NFL, it puts offenses in the mid to bottom level of the pack for points scored.

If the jets offense can eventually put up 24 points a game then it will help the team as a whole to be balanced.

Holding the opposition to 14 points a game is incredibly unrealistic, only a handful of defenses historically have been able to be that dominant.

They will fix those issues, It's only the first game of the season, they will watch film and make adjustments, whether it's moving Williams to the outside, playing Ealy more, and lets face it, the jets defense will make non mobile QBs life miserable.

Tyrod only hurt them because he could scramble, non mobile QBs are going to get wrecked with Martin, Ealy, Williams and Wilkerson on the pass rush.

It will help keep his job through the end of the season regardless of how we feel about him.

#55 Red Menace, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The problem with this theory is the jets could play every game in an empty stadium, not sell a single price of jet merchandise and still make a profit. while there maybe a decline in profit, there isn't much local fans can do to actually cause the team to lose money

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The unsold merch, unsold concessions, unsold tickets, parking passes will not look good. The fact that the Jets are the laughing stock of the league is not something that owners take lightly. Add all these things up with the fact that Macc and Bowles haven't made any meaningful progress in making this team relevant is not a recipe to keep their jobs. Not only that, but I'm sure TV ratings will also drop. I think these things are meaningful and make an impression on the end decision of an owner as to whether to keep or fire the front office/HC.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are right on. I think Bowles developed his reputation in the shadow of
    Bruce Arian. Bruce was and is the real brain behind that defense. Bowles is a glorified secondary assistant coach at best.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If woody is committed to these 2 executing a full rebuild then there is nothing financially stoping him. Pride is another thing but if he is committed he will put on the blinders and ear muffs and continue on.
    It will be interesting to see where it goes. Part of me thinks he will retain the pair because he feels he got bullied by the billboard crowd and thinks he had to show some stability. If they go 0-16 though I think they are done. Can't have that return again next year

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

At this junction I have trouble blaming Mac for some of the shit that we see on the field. The defense has been horrible as a whole and the game planning and play calling dreadful by the most part. Our HC and DC can't cut it. Mac had zero say so on the selection. Bad, bad mistake. Give him a chance to pick the coaching staff before we place the heavy blame on him.

SOJAZ likes this.